- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:15 AM

Default Loss of GPS and ADSB

I am flying an RV-12 with a Dynon HDX. I am not the builder so my understanding of the systems is not great. There is a Dynon 2020 GPS antenna.

I get a warning that the ADSB HAS FAILED AND LOSS OF GPS.

Has anyone else had this happen and where do I begin to correct it?

ALAN

Actual message “POSITION SOURCE 1 FAIL
NO ADS-B OUT. GPS LOST
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6F456E20-6737-4C2A-9E68-446CBB10688C.jpeg
Views:	146
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	12486  Click image for larger version

Name:	ADB83D8D-32B5-4EC6-AB99-A15E4D11E795.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	12487  
Old 06-11-2021, 10:29 AM

Default Call

Dynon tech support….. your ADSB failed due to gps failed. Fix gps, ADSB fixed! Happens often, once? Next time power off failed system, power back up, see if it comes back online. Make sure you did nothing like cover up antenna temporarily with anything if puck is in cockpit, and possibly eg: chart, checklist etc.

Good luck
Old 06-11-2021, 10:35 AM

Any military activity causing GPS interference in your area??
If not, then the GPS antenna might be defective.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:36 AM

Check wires at base of GPS puck antenna. Mounting holes are such that wires do not pass thru center of clearance hole. We noticed cut/frayed wires on Synergy built RV-12.
Jim Stricker - EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 717

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father - CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 06-11-2021, 10:50 AM

Always check wiring and connections first -- its the simplest and cheapest way to trouble-shoot. Wiggling the suspect wire/connection and watching for any instrument reading change is often a useful technique. All of the previous commentators' suggestions are valid as well.

Van's RV-12 plans and wiring diagram and Dynon's various manuals (https://www.dynonavionics.com/skyview-documentation.php) can aid you in tracing the circuit.
EAA #23982 (circa 1965) - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B 2020) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 1,060+ hours (as of Aug 2021)!
VAF donation through June 2022.

Last edited by DHeal : 06-11-2021 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:11 AM

I had the same problem. Opened the hole for the GPS antenna mount and freed up the wires going into the puck antenna. So far no further issues.
Paid 2020
Old 06-11-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witkin View Post
I am flying an RV-12 with a Dynon HDX.
FYI you do not have an HDX screen. You have either D1000 or D1000T

Larry Vandegrift
ULPower 260is
Old 06-11-2021, 07:54 PM

It appears you are on the ground and the issue could be antenna shading by something like a hangar. I see this error often when running my SV-D1000 if the aircraft is in the hangar with the door open all the way. I can see the sky but apparently the GPS antenna cannot see enough SVs to resolve a fix. Same problem with my other two GPS units, goes away as soon the aircraft is in the open.

If you see it flying or during taxi, start with wiring as others advised.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS
Old 06-11-2021, 09:11 PM

Run a PAPR check on the FAA site https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx

Confirm it is actually failing.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:48 AM

Default Am I the only one who noticed something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witkin View Post
I am flying an RV-12 with a Dynon HDX. I am not the builder so my understanding of the systems is not great. There is a Dynon 2020 GPS antenna.

I get a warning that the ADSB HAS FAILED AND LOSS OF GPS.

Has anyone else had this happen and where do I begin to correct it?

ALAN

Actual message “POSITION SOURCE 1 FAIL
NO ADS-B OUT. GPS LOST
Alan,

You have a position source. Your SkyView has a position as you have synthetic vision displayed. If you have a total GPS position failure, you would not have it.

First, do you have another GPS feeding it like a Garmin, Avidyne, or a GPS-250 puck? You need to determine what is your POS 1 source is and what is giving you the position for the synthetic vision. These are all in settings if you know where to look. Your synthetic vision source might be a POS 2 source or a GPS 1 source. Also what is your setting for the position source in the transponder settings.

Input Function Considerations and Priorities

SkyView's Moving Map Page uses POS and GPS sources for its data. Regardless of the number of data sources in your system, this page prioritizes these sources and fails over to them as follows:

POS 1, GPS 1, GPS 2, GPS 3, GPS 4, POS 2, POS 3, POS 4

For example, if your system has one SV-GPS-2020 configured as POS 1 and a Garmin 396 configured as GPS 1, the Moving Map will always use the SV-GPS-2020 as its primary data source. If the SV-GPS-2020 fails or you configure its input function to NONE, the Moving Map Page will use the Garmin 396 (or other GPS source) configured as GPS 1 as its primary data source.

If you have a GPS-250 puck as POS 2, then your system might be using it as the position source for the map and synthetic vision.

I find that the Dynon GPS is a lot more sensitive than say my Garmin 175 in my hanger, but do pull you aircraft outside and see if you get a position on POS 1.

The first thing I would check it if the GPS-2020 is up and running by going in to the setup menu, press and hold down buttons 7 and 8 at the same time until you are into the setup menu. Then go to System setup, then Serial Port setup, then serial port 5. Is the GPS-2020 detected and set as POS 1, and sending data out by the TX counter number going up? If it is, the press the back button, button 1, until you are in the main setup window. The go down to Local Display Setup, then GPS Fix Status. On the top right is will tell you what you are using for the present position source, the one giving you the map and synthetic vision position.

I don’t mean to ramble on, but these are things that should be checked out. The setup has things you can see that might help troubleshoot a problem, and sometimes it is just is setting that might just need to be changed.

If you want to do a little more troubleshooting, you can email me at hr2plt@yahoo.com and I will do what I can to lead you down the right path.

Brian