-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-13-2021, 12:44 AM

Default Any issues with exterior priming?

I'm priming the interior parts or my RV-14A with Akzo 463-12-8. If I primed the exterior with this stuff, am I setting myself up for problems down the road when it comes time to paint? I don't plan to do the painting myself.
RV-14A Kit#140433
Completed: Vertical Stab/Horizontal Stab
Scrapped: Rudder
Working on: Empennage (Elevator, Rudder #2, Aft Fuselage)
Ordered: Wing Kit (Arrives March 2021)
Construction log - mykitlog.com/ajackson
Dues paid on March 2021
Member of EAA Chapter 92 (KCNO)
Pet peeve: "Lose" (rhymes with "booze") is the opposite of "find". "Loose" (rhymes with "juice") means "not tight".
Old 06-13-2021, 12:52 AM

If you have a shop in mind, ask them now. Some shops will not guarantee their work unless theyíve done the prep and prime.
Old 06-13-2021, 06:58 AM

There will likely be an issue if you prime the outside and expect to apply the top coat later, because according to the TDS the top coat must be applied within 48 hours of applying the primer. If done later, then the top coat won't stick properly because the epoxy primer will be too far cured. And an epoxy primer is extremely difficult to remove!

"Dry to topcoat 1 hour minimum and 48 hours maximum"
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 06-13-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulvS View Post
There will likely be an issue if you prime the outside and expect to apply the top coat later, because according to the TDS the top coat must be applied within 48 hours of applying the primer. If done later, then the top coat won't stick properly because the epoxy primer will be too far cured. And an epoxy primer is extremely difficult to remove!

"Dry to topcoat 1 hour minimum and 48 hours maximum"
The notes usually go on to say "after 48 hrs scuffing and reapplication is necessary . . . "

scuffing -not removal. If one scuffs, etches, alodine, then applies the passivating corrosion inhibiting primer then IMO you are good to go. Surely the paint shop can tell the difference between adhesion failure of the primer-substrate and topcoat-primer modes.

RV-7
Old 06-14-2021, 07:02 PM

Depending on the shop that paints your plane, it might cost you more to have the thing painted. If it were me I would remove all exterior primer as my first step. Unless I control the whole process from beginning to end I canít guarantee or warranty the final product.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:11 PM

Default Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
Depending on the shop that paints your plane, it might cost you more to have the thing painted. If it were me I would remove all exterior primer as my first step. Unless I control the whole process from beginning to end I canít guarantee or warranty the final product.
What he ^ said. Even worse and no offense, but what if they do paint over and the paint starts to peel? If you really want to protect the surface, alodine it but it's not fun. I did it because I plan to vinyl wrap and wanted some light weight protection under the vinyl. Capturing all that stuff was a pain.
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.