Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 10:38 PM

Default Anyone tried Microsoft 2010 Notebook?

Old 12-30-2012, 07:32 AM

Do you, perhaps, mean 'OneNote'? It would be an interesting solution but perhaps a little too free-form for some folk who want a more formal log.
http://www.mykitlog.com/flion/
EAA Technical Counselor #5357
Old 12-30-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis View Post
I took a super easy route to my building record, I just took pictures of my progress and I don't mean an entire photo album. I had approx 4 pictures per sheet of paper with a total of 20 pages and this was more than adequate for the local FAA MIDO Inspector.

Now I do really enjoy the individuals who do a very detailed build record and post it on the web to assist others, this method was just not for me.
Used kitlog on the first build.

Next build will be the above.
No need to overkill all the pics and time it takes to
put together.
When I went to FSDO they looked at ZERO.

KISS-------------always

RV 7A--"MISS MARIE"--- N177WD (SOLD FLYING)72742
VAF #582-----------------EAA LIFETIME MEMBER
EX -KC-135A -------------BOOM OPERATOR #3633
VAN'S FLIGHT------------#6930

See you in OSHKOSH

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....ley&project=84

=VAF= 2006-2020 DUES PAID
Old 12-30-2012, 12:20 PM

Default Sorry, I did mean "One Note"

After watching the EAA Webinar with Joe Norris "Your Homebuilt's FAA Inspection" I decided my builders log would be completely digital, in my laptop at the hanger. The video was excellent:
http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=89780636001
I agree that the One Note is a little too "free form" but it does have some excellent features, if you go the route of simply presenting a digital log. I like the drag the photos in (any size and instantly resizable) and adding unlimited notes. The tabs can be for years, months, and dates. The pages can be for specific build steps. Unlimited data can be included such as pdf's of important data and invoices.
I looked for some kind of a journal add-on but couldn't find one.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBerner View Post
There are still a few things I'd like to get working better but I suspect I'll have to dust off some very rusty HTML skills to make it work:
  • Better formatting of the hours spent in individual blog entries. I've got the category totals easy enough but Ed has a nifty "Hours: x" at the bottom of each entry
If you're using the Get Custom Field Values plugin, it's pretty easy to do, just one piece of PHP code to insert. Note: depending on where you want the hours to show up for each post, you may need to do this TWICE. Here's the bit to insert:
Code:
<?php echo c2c_get_custom('Hours', 'Hours: <strong>', '</strong> | '); ?>
...as you can see, the function has three arguments so you can customize the appearance on your page:
1. 'Hours' : The name of the Custom Field to pull from (this needs to match exactly the name you use when you're entering your hours in each post...which should be the same every time. I use 'Hours'.)
2. 'Hours: <strong>' : The text (including any HTML tags you want) to print before the field value.
3. '</strong> | ' : The text (again including any HTML tags you want) to print after the field value.

The function takes those three arguments, looks up the value of the specified custom field, and prints the whole thing. The example above would come out (assuming the hours value was 1.3) as:
Hours: 1.3 |

To output the hours on every individual post page (example), you need to edit the file named "single.php" in the theme that you're using.

To output the hours on each individual post in the list view -- most commonly your home page, but also individual category views and monthly-posts views -- you need to add it to the file called "index.php" in the theme you're using. (Note that per-post stuff in the index.php page must be inside "the loop", which is the part of the page that is repeatedly processed, one time for each post in the collection...whereas the header and footer, which show your site's menus, sidebars, and such, are processed only once.)

Theme files are usually located in the "wp-content" directory, in a subfolder resembling the name of your theme. Or, you can usually edit them from the "Appearance -> Editor" page in the Dashboard.

I'm always happy to offer pointers on this stuff if anyone gets stuck ... feel free to shoot me a note.

I did print off my entire build log (using an online WordPress -> PDF converter service) and bind it for the DAR inspection and future reference.
rv9a.pacificrimsound.com
Old 12-30-2012, 10:53 PM

Joshua's site is where I got the code to do my site. Thanks for fixing up the CategoryTotal plugin... it works exactly as advertised!

PS: Joshua, I'm just up the road from you on 61 south of Hastings. You should come check out the -10 build!
KSGS - Fleming Field, South Saint Paul, Minnesota

YouTube.com/GoodPlaneLiving
-- Build Timelapse and Travel Videos . . GoodPlaneLiving.com -- Build and Travel Blog
Old 01-05-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post
To output the hours on every individual post page (example), you need to edit the file named "single.php" in the theme that you're using.

To output the hours on each individual post in the list view -- most commonly your home page, but also individual category views and monthly-posts views -- you need to add it to the file called "index.php" in the theme you're using.
Joshua, Thank you very much. This did it.
RV-14A #140026
Wings 70%. Emp 70%
Happy to be a 2020 =VAF= contributor
Old 01-03-2014, 02:49 PM

I hate to resurrect this thread, but I am in the process of getting my Wordpress build log setup, and was looking for the plugin that Josh mentions. It looks like the link he had is offline. Can anyone help me find the plugin?
Wing Kit Started - June 2017
My Build Log: http://www.theskunkwerx.com
Old 01-03-2014, 03:26 PM

Default More Wordpress here

When I first started, I was using Blogger, then Movable Type, and then switched to Wordpress. I've gone through 4 providers, one or two site hacks, and all the growing pains of the blogging world.

I love Wordpress. I know just enough about information technology to really do some damage with a root password, but maintaining a Wordpress installation on my hosted site is within my skills, and it lets you do a lot from within the admin page of the blog itself, like upgrades, plugin installation, themes, and formatting.

I'm still going to have to write a python script to total up my hours though, because I'll have to do a regexp search for "* hours" in an XML dump of my blog. I didn't make or find a plugin to allow me to enter hours when I set it up.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubedRoot View Post
I hate to resurrect this thread, but I am in the process of getting my Wordpress build log setup, and was looking for the plugin that Josh mentions. It looks like the link he had is offline. Can anyone help me find the plugin?
For some reason my site stopped displaying hours in the posts so I worked on it this weekend. I did notice that the http://www.coffee2code.com site is down , don't know if that's why their plug in stopped working or not. Anyway, I messed around with it until I got this to work:

Instead of using the c2c_get_custom call, I inserted:
<?php echo "Hours spent on this task: " ?>
<?php echo get_post_meta($post->ID,'labor_hours_spent',true) ?>

after the
<?php while ( have_posts() ) : the_post(); ?>
line. labor_hours_spent is the name of my custom data.

You have to put it in both the index.php (on my new theme I think it's called page.php) and the single.php file just as Joshua explained above. If you're not a software geek, don't worry, I'm not either. This sounds harder than it is. Just follow the instructions Joshua gave above and copy-paste.

I believe the rest of the plugins Joshua listed on his page are still online... but I didnt check so I may be wrong...

The category total plugin that Joshua modified works great.

Have I mentioned how much I hate software....
RV-14A #140026
Wings 70%. Emp 70%
Happy to be a 2020 =VAF= contributor

Last edited by KCBerner : 01-03-2014 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Clarified labor_hours_spent