What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Hangar, New RV

mbuto

Hello!

My RV-9A (1st airplane) is going in a shiny new T-hangar. I'm looking for a list of essentials to purchase for the hangar. A bar fridge is obviously item #1, and I have my dad's 1963 Playboy centerfold calendar. But I'm looking mostly for things that I will need for basic maintenance/annuals - tools, oils, lubricants, cleaners, etc. I kind-of have a rough idea having taken part in the previous annual, but I'm sure I could use the groups ideas!

Thanks!

Mike

A rolling tool cart and a rolling table. I got one of the Harbor Freight carts and its great. The usual sockets and screw drivers. When we had a T hangar I mounted a 50' air hose reel and a 50' extension cord reel on the floor next to the fridge to make it easy to work on things. 50' would get anywhere in the hangar. The 20 amp service will limit what all you can plug in so I used a small compressor that was adequate for tires and light air tool use. A box fan is nice to have too as the box hangars are generally not insulated and with stagnant air get really hot. The tools you use all the time are best to have copies of in the T hangar. Stuff that gets seldom use ride back and forth from the house. Wait and see what you always bring back and forth and buy duplicates to leave there. Also small tackle boxes with spare screws, washers, nuts, etc are also good to keep at the hangar too.

Engine oil, LPS#2 to lube moving parts, oil filters, camguard, rags, safety wire, trash can, something to catch oil from oil changes. Stuff for cleaning the windscreen and also wash the plane. A shop vac is nice.

If you own the hangar, then putting something on the floor like mentioned by Allan would be a good investment. If you own, or rent, I would consider storage cabinets and shelves would be a good start, so you have an organized placed to store all the stuff you will be collecting for your new ‘home’.

Back