What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nice RV Hammerhead

sandifer

Well Known Member
Just wanted to share this clip from Bill (WillyEyeball) showing the control inputs of a well-performed hammerhead. A smooth pull right to the vertical attitude, eyes on the wingtip maintaining the vertical line, a little progressively increasing right rudder as the plane slows near the top - keeping the airplane perfectly vertical in yaw, then a little right aileron just before the pivot to prevent torque rolling, then a decisive full left rudder input with a simultaneous (key word) forward stick movement - adjusted as required during the pivot, full right aileron through the pivot - held until after the pivot has stopped, a decisive well-timed right rudder input to stop the pivot - not just a lazy neutralizing of the rudder. No pendulum nose swinging after the pivot. Pivot stops perfectly vertical, confirmed by a quick wingtip check. Downline flown. And then I guess Bill invented a new figure - the 1x8 roll...1 point of an 8-point roll on the downline. :)

So there you have it - the recipe for a nice RV hammer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ_bCT6IC0A&feature=em-upload_owner

Last edited:
What's your IAS just before you kick that full left rudder?? Nothing? Something? ie, when do you know you actually want to kick your rudder to start the maneuver?

I know what the aileron input is for, but why the forward stick? Clearly it works, but i'm curious what the physics are there...

I know what the aileron input is for, but why the forward stick? Clearly it works, but i'm curious what the physics are there...

I would guess that it's to counteract the gyroscopic precession forces of the prop during the yaw portion of the maneuver.

Skylor
RV-8

I would guess that it's to counteract the gyroscopic precession forces of the prop during the yaw portion of the maneuver.

Skylor
RV-8

In this position, the gyro precession tends to pull you over on your back. Forward stick counters that.

As far as airspeed, every airplane will be a little different. We're not looking at airpspeed. In my Skybolt, I can feel a vibration starting from the prop slipstream, that's my key to kick left rudder.

Be careful out there...

Thanks. When is the power pulled out?

Full power up, full power during the pivot, and then only pull power as needed to control airspeed on the downline after the pivot is complete.

What's your IAS just before you kick that full left rudder?? Nothing? Something? ie, when do you know you actually want to kick your rudder to start the maneuver?

Bill can provide specifics on his technique, but I will make the general statement that there are different ways to gauge the timing - that is if you want to hit the pivot at the exact right time without kicking too early or too late. As Stinson mentions, some airplanes have a telltale buffeting of the fuselage at the top, caused by tightening propeller slipstream. Some airplanes have this, some don't. My Pitts doesn't.

Low-powered, slow pivoting airplanes could possibly use the ASI to time a passable pivot, since they may need to start the pivot with quite a bit more vertical speed than high performance airplanes like RVs and Pitts'. Think Stearman or 7ECA Citabria. I'm not a proponent of trying to use the ASI in any airplane. It will be mostly useless in high performance airplanes, and puts your eyeballs inside the cockpit which I prefer to minimize. Not saying that ASI cannot be used in an RV, though. Depends on the airplane, and how you choose to time the pivot.

Another way to gauge the timing is by aileron deflection - as in kicking when the aileron deflection reaches a certain point with no roll reaction. This is what I do in the Pitts, and it produces very consistent results. I kick the moment just before full right aileron deflection is reached. This ends up being an instant before the airplane comes to a complete stop. Likewise, the increasing right rudder deflection at the top can be used in much the same way. Here's a quick clip I shot -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N88954ac2fc&list=UUm9cBvavbT4j6vReBu9H8Qg

Last edited:
Just a small note of caution to those thinking of teaching themselves this maneuver. While it's certainly not the most complicated thing in the world (and it can be quite fun to just go up and do hammerheads back and forth in a see-saw motion over and over), there are some caveats with RV's specifically. It's not hard to accidentally get a bit past vertical and then end up with the stick all the way forward, along with a pile of aileron all at the same time you're running out of airspeed and kicking the rudder. The plane can stall inverted and fall over on it's back pretty quickly in that case and if you've not been in that position (stalled inverted) it can be a bit 'surprising' and catch you off guard. "Falling out" of a hammerhead is actually more common than you might think, and can result in some weird behaviors (inverted spins, etc..).

I've gotten pretty sloppy with mine, I don't even bother calling them hammerheads anymore...I just do "Whifferdills"! :)

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Per Bill Thomas

According to Bill Thomas' aerobatics handbook, "Fly For Fun," (discussing a hammerhead turn to the left, p. 82):

"As you make the 'Yaw Turn', two forces will be working on the plane.
One: The outside wing, or right wing, will be traveling faster, giving more lift than the left wing. This will make the plane roll to the left. You will need right aileron to correct for it.
Two: The spinning propeller, being a gyroscope, will try to push the nose of the airplane toward you (toward where your head is). You will need forward stick to counteract this gyroscopic effect."

+1 for Stein Air's warning that an inverted spin may result from a botched hammerhead -- so if you aren't sure you can get out of one of those in your RV....

According to Bill Thomas' aerobatics handbook, "Fly For Fun," (discussing a hammerhead turn to the left, p. 82):

"As you make the 'Yaw Turn', two forces will be working on the plane.
One: The outside wing, or right wing, will be traveling faster, giving more lift than the left wing. This will make the plane roll to the left. You will need right aileron to correct for it.
Two: The spinning propeller, being a gyroscope, will try to push the nose of the airplane toward you (toward where your head is). You will need forward stick to counteract this gyroscopic effect."

Gyroscopics yes, but I must disagree with the idea that the outside wing generates more lift and causes left roll. A proper hammer is done at zero AOA and both wings should not be creating lift at all. IMO, prop torque is the only rolling force during a proper hammer.

Last edited:
The plane can stall inverted and fall over on it's back pretty quickly in that case and if you've not been in that position (stalled inverted) it can be a bit 'surprising' and catch you off guard. "Falling out" of a hammerhead is actually more common than you might think, and can result in some weird behaviors (inverted spins, etc..).

I had done hammerheads in my previous 8. They were sloppy-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e.:( I would only get down to 40 IAS or something like that before I kicked full rudder, because I was afraid of tailslide and wouldn't have known what to do. In my new 8, and after reading the above, NOW I'm afraid to do them at all. If I got into an inverted spin, you'd probably be reading about me in the newspapers. I've got to admire the guy that said "he doesn't look at airspeed, he just goes by feel". I'm a retired airline driver, and splitting your eyes so one was always on the airspeed indicator was the name of the game. (Chief pilot wouldn't allow hammerheads in a 727):D

Oh, we look at airspeed plenty! Just not so much in this maneuver.
All the clues to perform the maneuver correctly are outside the airplane. Primarily, the wing tip. Watching for vertical, also making sure the wing tip doesn't rise or fall in relation to the horizon (more or less rudder).

At the pivot, eyes stay at a point on the horizon as the nose comes through, movement of the nose will tell you if you need more or less down elevator.

Sandifer is the one to really explain nuances. I get a lot of my stuff from him!

Last edited:
Actually, if you "fall out" of the manuever, you will wind up in an inverted flat spin. Until you bring power back to idle, you WILL not recover. It is quite cool.

hammers and spins

We are so fortunate to have Eric Sandifer as a contributor to VansAirForce and provider of guidance and advice on aerobatic threads. For those that don?t know Eric, he flies at the Advance level in IAC competition and WINS most of the time. He?s an IAC judge and frequent Contest Direction for regional events. He had an RV-3 previously and really performs in a Pitts S1T if you?ve seen any of his youtube videos. Now about the hammerhead in an RV. As others have stated, the clues to use for the rotation point in a hammerhead vary with aircraft types. By the way, if you have a carburetor, don?t go precisely vertically up or you?ll most likely have the engine quit and the prop stopped like I did before I went to a throttle body injector. With the small rudder in the RV-4, I pretty much run out of right rudder when it?s time to pivot, assuming I kept the wings level. I also glance at my airspeed indicator and it goes to zero for the mechanical one, and the Dynon shows about 30 knots. When I started adding a quarter roll in the up line, I botched a couple and fell out on my back (that?s in one of my youtube videos called Hammers and Boobos) . After receiving advanced instructions in an Extra 300 to include tail slides, botched hammers, and inverted spins, I now automatically initiate recovery inputs. As repeated a 1000 times, don?t try aerobatics until you?ve received appropriate level training. By the way, I?ve never entered an unintentionally inverted spin, or upright one for that matter. My RV is hard to spin upright or inverted, and as long as you keep the airplane from yawing with rudder and throttle back when it stalls, it?ll just fall out. I?m still surprised we?re only having a couple of RVs compete each year when they are fantastic at Primary and Sportsman level.
Bill McLean
RV-4 Slider
Lower Alabama
:)

I've certainly botched some with my carburated RV-6. There is quite a bit going on. No inverted spins though.

- By the way, I?ve never entered an unintentionally inverted spin, or upright one for that matter. My RV is hard to spin upright or inverted, and as long as you keep the airplane from yawing with rudder and throttle back when it stalls, it?ll just fall out.
Bill McLean
RV-4 Slider
Lower Alabama
:)

That part is true, RV's if loaded with a good CG will almost always end up with the heavy side aiming for the ground if you just let 'em, but with that said I would still recommend some time in a Pitts - or better yet a Super D (they really make you work hard in places that the Pitts/Extra/etc.. doesn't). We indeed are lucky to have some fantastic aerobatic folks in this group, I just try to keep people cautious because these experts often times make things look sooooo easy (because they are really good sticks) people may be tempted to just "go out and try it"...

See y'all at OSH!!!

Cheers,
Stein

Gyroscopics yes, but I must disagree with the idea that the outside wing generates more lift and causes left roll. A proper hammer is done at zero AOA and both wings should not be creating lift at all.
So you're saying you could leave the stick neutral during the pivot? I see a lot of people here asserting that you'll need increasing right stick (for a left turn at the top) up to the pivot, then only adding forward stick, not neutralizing the ailerons first.

So you're saying you could leave the stick neutral during the pivot? I see a lot of people here asserting that you'll need increasing right stick (for a left turn at the top) up to the pivot, then only adding forward stick, not neutralizing the ailerons first.

Not saying that at all. You cut the last sentence of my quote that mentioned prop torque. Prop torque causes the left rolling force (with CCW-turning Lycoming/Cont. engines) once airspeed drops below a certain point. Obviously the torque is always present at high power, but only shows itself once airflow over the wings is reduced to a point. And metal props have more torque than wood/composite props.

Torque effect will be present just before, during, and a moment after the pivot stops due to high power and almost zero airspeed. You will only remove the right aileron after the pivot stops and you begin to accelerate and regain airspeed. If you do a properly timed hammer with neutral aileron, then you will torque (roll left during the pivot). If you are doing a hammer with neutral aileron without torquing, then you are kicking way early, and flying over the top with a large radius rather than making a nice tight pivot.

The forward stick input is to control gyroscopic precession while the airplane is pivoting, and is unrelated to torque.

If you are interested in acro, pick up Alan Cassidy's book 'Better Aerobatics'. Absolutely THE best acro book available, in or out of print. It's in print.

Last edited:
So if you do find yourself in an inverted flat spin, how do you recover? Previous poster mentioned importance of pulling power, but then what? Opposite rudder and back stick?

I don't expect to find myself in this position, but good to know nevertheless.

So if you do find yourself in an inverted flat spin, how do you recover? Previous poster mentioned importance of pulling power, but then what? Opposite rudder and back stick?

PARE: P-Power off, A- Ailerons neutral, R- Rudder opposite, E- Elevator aft in an inverted spin to break it. (same as upright, but forward elevator to break the spin)

That's the normal recovery method, there are others.

With your last statement, I'd recommend getting the book, it's worth every penny paid, and get some training.

The unknown is a dangerous thing.

This is a very complex subject. Without training, anything discussed on this subject on an internet forum is purely academic. First, there is nothing special about an inverted flat spin compared to an upright flat spin. Flat spins seem to have this special status in the minds of many pilots as scary, dangerous things. They could be in some airplanes. Some airplanes you don't want to spin in ANY fashion. In most purpose-built aerobatic airplanes, flat spins are just another spin mode to be familiar and comfortable with. In most aerobatic airplanes, spins can only be forced flat with power and opposite aileron. Most will not simply go flat on their own (or remain flat without power) if you're out doing normal power off spins. There are some airplanes that can, though. We don't even know about all of them, because most non-aerobatic airplanes have not been thoroughly spin tested. Google "Tipsy Nipper Flat Spin" for an interesting video and story.

Here's the problem with understanding flat spin characteristics - how many aircraft types have truly been fully spin tested? Many of you have spin tested your RV during Phase 1 right? Have you really? Have you really spin tested your airplane across the entire spin matrix, across the entire aerobatic W&B envelope? I've never heard of or read anyone's report on spin testing E/AB's - RVs, Rockets, Stardusters, Skybolts, Acrosports, Mustangs, Thorps, etc. across the entire spin matrix (normal, flat, accelerated, and crossover spins from both upright and inverted). I've also never read about the efficacy of standard spin recovery technique, or that of one of the two emergency recovery techniques across the entire spin matrix. I'm not saying anyone is doing anything wrong, I'm just making a point. Pitts characteristics are well known. So are most purpose-built acro planes - Extras, MX, Edge, Sukhoi, etc. There's only one way to know these characteristics in YOUR specific airplane if a knowledge base doesn't exist. Are you qualified to be a spin test pilot? I have a feeling that RVs will recover a power-on flat spin simply by pulling power off and neutralizing all controls. But I've never tried it. I've never heard from anyone who has. I don't even know if an RV will DO a flat spin in the first place, or if it will fly out when power is applied. In the context of aerobatic airplanes, flat spins can only be done upright with left rudder (and right aileron and power) or inverted with right rudder (and right aileron and power). This is because in this context, flat spins are gyroscopic maneuvers, and the gyroscopic pitch up only works in one direction. Otherwise, it will be a pitch down effect, which is counter to a flat spin. This assumes Lycoming-turning engines.

Some airplanes with very benign basic power-off, neutral aileron spin characteristics can dramatically change with aileron and/or power effects. I've got a good bit of time in a Clipped J-3. Popped out of a "normal" spin almost instantly. Applying outspin aileron alone during the spin dramatically reduced rudder authority and greatly increased the time it took to recover the spin. I didn't even try to flatten it further with power.

A previous poster stated that you will not be able to recover a flat spin unless you pull power off. This is not necessarily true. It depends on the airplane. The Pitts will recover a flat spin more quickly by leaving power on than by removing it. This assumes the spin was done intentionally, and you have practiced flat spin recovery to known and predictable outcomes. But power on is a bad technique for recovering accidental spins.

If you find yourself in ANY accidental spin (upright, inverted, flat, etc. doesn't matter), your best bet is to invoke one of three accepted spin recovery techniques. All involve pulling power off first, and this is very important. Standard spin recovery is 'PARE'. I think most know about this. Power off, Ailerons neutral, Rudder opposite, Elevator forward (to a degree). This is active spin recovery technique, and works in most airplanes that will actually recover a spin. Then there are two recognized emergency recovery techniques designed to minimize or eliminate the need for the pilot to maintain the situational awareness required for PARE. One is the Beggs-Muller technique and other is the neutral control technique. These two emergency techniques are generally only discussed in the aerobatic community where pilots may find themselves in accidental departures of the type that can cause confusion about whether the spin is upright or inverted, or left or right. If your first crossover spin is by accident, and by yourself, don't count on grasping the situation and dealing with it properly. Training is very important. BTW, the two emergency techniques are not guaranteed to work in all aerobatic airplanes in all spin modes. Gene Beggs writes about certain airplanes in certain spin modes that will not recover using the hands-off technique. I'm sure there are others. No guarantees without testing.

Now for those who actually read through this whole rambling mess, or even looked at the 'Tipsy Nipper' situation referenced above, I will note that generally speaking, flat spin recovery is aided by applying in-spin aileron (left aileron for a left rudder flat spin). However, if you find yourself in a flat spin, in an airplane that requires in-spin aileron to recover, then you are probably doing aerobatics, or doing spins in an airplane you shouldn't be doing that in. My mention of in-spin aileron is purely academic.

For anyone who has aerobatic interests and has only done basic plain vanilla upright spins, spending a day with Bill Finagin in his Pitts (Annapolis, MD) may be the most enlightening and worthwhile (but intense) flight training you'll ever receive.

Last edited:
I think people get inverted and fall over the back Because 1) they are used to 1G and as you establish your upline it becomes 0G so people don't push enough cause It feels funny! 2) Because as said you are still making lift on the upline which naturally puts you past vertical.

First, there is nothing special about an inverted flat spin compared to an upright flat spin.

Thanks, that's the answer I was looking for. During flight training, our school went beyond simple stall/spin avoidance and took the step of putting us in Citabrias, had us initiate spins and recover from them, so I've had some training and I'm quite familiar with recovery from a "standard spin." Lots of unusual attitudes recovery under the hood as well.

Obviously, in the -9A I won't be doing spins of any sort in Phase 1 or thereafter (at least not on purpose!), so an academic response is fine.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's the answer I was looking for.

When I say "there's nothing special about an inverted spin", just understand that I mean that from an aircraft standpoint. The airplane doesn't know or care whether it's inverted or upright. The spin dynamics are nearly identical. In most acro planes, there is actually a little less rudder blanking during inverted spins compared to upright, which increases rudder authority for recovery.

But for the pilot, there's a significant difference in sensation, sight picture, and which direction to move the stick to break the stall between upright and inverted spins. I've posted this before, but this video I shot shows a crossover spin, and describes the potential pitfalls of accidental inverted spins when encountered by pilots who have been unsufficiently trained.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3DJlced8gw&list=UUm9cBvavbT4j6vReBu9H8Qg

I can comment from first hand experience how easily the airplane falls out of a hammer into an inverted spin. My first attempt at a hammer with my Hiperbipe saw me not feeding in any forward stick at the top, and when I kicked full left rudder it flopped right onto its back at zero airspeed. I remember feeling the loose controls (no airspeed), and looking out the top windows at the ground spinning up toward me. I think I actually said out loud "This is NOT good!" I don't remember what I did other than manipulate the controls until I got a windshield full of ground and wait a few beats until the controls tightened up with speed, but I did recover just fine.

I landed and had a few long moments of self reflection after that. That's one of the few times I've spooked myself by flying "wrong".

Last edited:
I can comment from first hand experience how easily the airplane falls out of a hammer into an inverted spin. My first attempt at a hammer with my Hiperbipe saw me not feeding in any forward stick at the top, and when I kicked full left rudder it flopped right onto its back at zero airspeed. I remember feeling the loose controls (no airspeed), and looking out the top windows at the ground spinning up toward me.
Yep, that's exactly how my first hammerhead went, except I didn't get to the spinning part, or if I did, it only went through a partial turn. Neutralized the stick when it started going south, and waited for the nose to drop and the speed to come up.

Good point on waiting for the speed to build before trying to pull out of the dive. The "flop" at the top of the hammerhead was disconcerting, but with lots of altitude for recovery I wasn't worried about it. But it's enough to make your skin crawl the first time you pull back on the stick too early and literally *nothing* happens.

I wish i'd noted the altitude I recovered at. I know I started the pull-up at 5500 AGL, but I don't recall the exit. It wasn't much lower, as I recall.

Back