What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TAS to Ground Speed Error?

Slagergren

How much error should one expect between True airspeed and GPS ground speed? I have consistently gotten between 5-10 mph less in TAS in comparison to my GPS ground speed at speeds around 80 to 200 mph. Is this 3 to 6% error something worth fixing? Is this normal? I have a Dynon D180 and Dynon pitot/AOA probe configuration and have troubleshot the problem down to the probe itself, static pressure influences, and or the probe/ static port placement. I have a hard time believeing the probe placement and or static port placement is the issue since I used Vans plans and Dynon's recommendations/ components. Anyone else experiencing the same issues?

Thanks Steve:confused:

Are you saying you always have tailwind? If so, I wouldn't change anything :)

Did you do pitot/static check (with real certified test set)? Did they check your airspeed? I'd start with that....

Did you use the pop rivet or other 'bump' for your static port? Port flush with the skin can cause about that much error. A potential cross check is to land at a low-traffic airport, set your altimeter at field altitude, then fly a high speed low level 'approach'. If your altimeter reads below ground level during the pass, you probably have a static port issue.

(Thanks to Kevin Horton for helping me with these symptoms many years ago.)

Charlie

Did you do pitot/static check (with real certified test set)? Did they check your airspeed? I'd start with that....
Our round dial backup gauge is off 5 knots at 100. The Dynon is right on all the way to 25000 feet.

First verify no leaks in the system. I've been told that pitot tube variations only have a tiny effect unless it's WAY off. Then, following up on what RV7Charlie said, I would recommend going to Kevin Horton's site and mine it for flight test procedures. You're describing calibration of your airspeed indication. If you are consistently reading 5 to 10 knots below actual GPS speeds when compensating for wind I think the most likely culprit is the static port. Location is only one suspect. Another is the shape of the port.

Tiny variations in dome height/shape can affect your static related readings. If you're indicating lower than actual the static source is being pressurized. One experiment would be to disconnect the static line and vent it to the cabin. This is an easy experiment if you have an alternate static source:D The cabin typically sees slightly negative pressure so there should be a big difference in indicated airspeeds between a slightly pressurized exterior port and a source in the cabin seeing a slight vacuum. There are lots of threads on solutions with pictures of various dams in front, behind and around the port. I was reading too high and wound up filing the round head flatter because mine was getting suction. It was an iterative process...file, fly. File, fly...took about 4 progressions of filing to get it right. You will need to work the other way. Build a dam to pressurize it, fly. Modify, fly until it is right. You're aiming at 0 difference but I wound up settling for a consistent 3 kts higher than actual, from high cruise speeds to about 10 kts above stall. (For me, getting consistent airspeed flight test data gathering was VERY challenging at lower airspeeds:eek:) It would be interesting to see what error people are settling for and whether it's consistent or varies with airpseed.

The fun part is this process puts the "experimental" front and center in Phase 1 :D

Jeremy Constant

TAS is a no wind speed using IAS and adjusting for altitude and temp. GPS will be the same in a no wind situation but different if there is a wind. IAS=140 TAS=175 GPS=185 you would have a 10 tailwind.
Larry

Back