What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EI Combinations

pvalovich

Well Known Member
I've reviewed the threads discussing EI vs Mag - don't need to go there. I'm convinced EI is the way to go. My -8A Aerosport IO-360 currently sports an LSI and 1 mag. Single battery -but also have a B&C SD-8 to provide backup power. I want to go to 2 EIs and am debating the architecture.

Because of the self-contained capabilities of the P-Mag, I'm leaning toward 1 LSI and 1 PMag.

Anyone have any comments on the pros/cons of that configuration?

P-Mags

Sell LSI, Mag, and B&C SD-8 (unless you need it for something else) and buy two P-Mags. You won't look back.

The two different EI's will fire the plugs at different times due to the timing maps programmed into them.

It is best to get two identical ignitions, be them P-mags or LSi or whatever.

My preference is the P-mags.

P-Mag

I seldom do a follow up in an opinion based discussion, but here are a few more thoughts.

The P-mags are completely self contained in a smaller and lighter than standard magneto format. There are no separate coils, sensors, or boxes to mount. Like a magneto, they are self energized. If the battery switch is left on, a single 9 volt transistor battery will power them up for a hand start. Timing them is so simple a caveman could do it!

I believe P-mags represent the state of the art in aircraft ignition.

Last edited:
Back