What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LED Position lights from Aircraft Spruce

I was looking at those too, are they from Grimes or some other manf? It doesn't say who makes them.

I'm looking at mine right now. The manufacturer is PSA Trimcraft. There are 36 LEDs on each one. 3 stacks of nine pointing radially and 9 larger ones pointing vertically from the socket.
Since they are colored, you really should have a clear lens but I haven't been able to find one.

Mel, I got the LED bulbs and clear lenses for my Whelen strobe/position light assemblies from ACS, but like you, can't seem to find them on the Aircraft Spruce website. I searched several places.

If I make it out to the hangar today, I'll see if I can find the part number for you.

Regardless, I had radio noise with them in my plane when I turned them on. Until I fix that problem, I went back to incandescents.

Vans has clear lens, good price also. Part # 1284-C lens, listed under lighting options.

Bruce 9A

Vans has clear lens, good price also. Part # 1284-C lens, listed under lighting options.
Bruce 9A

Thanks Bruce. I hadn't seen that. I looked in AS catalog and they only list green and red.

LED nav lights

Steve,

I replaced my Whelen wingtip nav light bulbs with the LED bulbs from Aircraft Spruce a couple of months ago. I was melting the clear wingtip cover lenses (RMD) with the standard incandescents. I initially used the original colored lenses, but replaced them with clear ones from Vans, of all places. About $20 ea. as I recall. I think the green bulb is brighter than the red, but that might be my imagination. They run very cool and use little current.

LED Nav lights

Thanks everyone for the information. Guess I'll have to find some other lights as I am looking for a new set-up, not replacement bulbs and lenses.

Steve.

Static still ...

Steve,

I replaced my Whelen wingtip nav light bulbs with the LED bulbs from Aircraft Spruce a couple of months ago. I was melting the clear wingtip cover lenses (RMD) with the standard incandescents. I initially used the original colored lenses, but replaced them with clear ones from Vans, of all places. About $20 ea. as I recall. I think the green bulb is brighter than the red, but that might be my imagination. They run very cool and use little current.

Resurrecting an old thread because I had the same problem with the stock Whelen incandescent bulbs melting the covers, so I bought the LED nav light bulbs from Aircraft Spruce. Direct plug-ins, but when I switch them on, a very loud static starts.

Following directions generously offered by another VAFer, I soldered in a couple of specific capacitors to quell the noise, but that didn't work. Next step was to wrap the positive leads several times around toroid filters. Still didn't help.

Changing the squelch setting on the SL-30 doesn't seem to help either. I'm running out of ideas. It's no big deal, since I don't fly at night anyway, but it would be nice to find an LED setup that doesn't cause RF noise.

The wiring is the stock wires that are provided in Van's wiring kit -- I think they're something like 18 ga.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
LED lights in Grimes Bodies

I bought a set of these bulbs (PSA) at Sun-N-Fun, then went over to the resale tent and bought a set of Grimes bodies -- looked new. However, they were sealed in plastic and when I got home, I found one had no receptacle (guts) inside and one had no ground mount on the side that you normally see. What are my options, other than buying new? Can I solder a wire to the side of the case for ground? Buy a base from a salvage dealer?

Thanks,
Jerry

Back