What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with how to wire jumpers on A210

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Help with how to wire jumpers on Icom radio harness

Can anyone describe to me what the jumper wiring will LOOK like for the molex power cable wiring shown in the diagram for the Icom A210 below. Since pins 11, M, P, and 13 must be jumped together, how do I do that gracefully? I can only fit one wire into each Molex pin, so this leads me to think that I'll have to use some butt splices or some other method to join the numerous wires that are coming out of those 4 holes. Suggestions?

2ztm3pg.jpg

Likewise, for the ground connections out of pins F, 6, 15, and S: what's the most graceful way to get those connected to each other and the ground--Four individual strands to ground or will I somehow connect them to teach other before running just one or two wires to the ground?

If anyone can describe this, I would be greatly indebted!!! (Just using that simple D-Sub version is looking awful good right now. Unfortunately not all the A210 features work if you use it instead of the Molex.)

Last edited:
I was able to fit two wires into the molex connectors so it was a simple jumper to each one. I may have pictures of this.

I was able to fit two wires into the molex connectors so it was a simple jumper to each one. I may have pictures of this.
Wow. Good job, Tom. I was able to get 2-20AWG wires to go into the "jumper" holes reasonably OK, but the power and ground wires also require jumpers, but with 18AWG wire instead. I'm pretty sure I can't fit 2 of those into one molex pin--the diameter of the two wires is wider than the wings of the receivers in the pin. You were able to do that? I wonder if the receivers in my pins are somehow smaller?

Last edited:
Wow. Good job, Tom. I was able to get 2-20AWG wires to go into the "jumper" holes reasonably OK, but the power and ground wires also require jumpers, but with 18AWG wire instead. I'm pretty sure I can't fit 2 of those into one molex pin--the diameter of the two wires is wider than the wings of the receivers in the pin. You were able to do that? I wonder if the receivers in my pins are somehow smaller?

Here is a photo from the rear showing the 18AWG power and ground wires (red and black). It can be done.

IMG_1789.JPG

Last edited:
Thought I'd add a few pics to this thread for future search use...here's how my Molex connector wiring is coming together...

20awg jumpers-

2-23-09-003w.jpg

18awg grounds added-

2-23-09-004w.jpg

And 18awg power wires added-

2-23-09-005w.jpg

More pics coming as I add audio wires.

:cool:

Meanwhile, back to our story. HOW did folks get two 18 g wires into THAT Molex connector? Did you twist them together and shove? I like the modificed Nuckolls version. What are the odds, though, of getting a strand outside of the crimp? Fortunately, "24" is keeping me sufficiently distracted to keep from getting sufficiently frustrated. :p

Last edited:
Bob,
On my A-200 I used #20 wire as directed and twisted a bit then inserted one over the other (read up \down) into the terminal and crimped. They grabbed just fine. Just make sure the unstripped portion makes it into the outer crimp portion to hold wires together. I also set the terminal in the crimper one notch closed to hold the terminal before inserting the wire.
Hope this helps.
It also worked with my power and ground #20 & #18 in the same terminal.

Last edited:
Bob-
To provide another point of view on your question, I'm highly skeptical that you can get two 18AWG wires in one terminal and expect it to hold as well. Two 20AWG work just fine, but I think the two 18's are too much. Instead, for the power connections, I just used individual 18's and butt spliced them downstream to the wires that go to power and ground. Just another option to consider.

I sorta missed this thread so I apologize.

First, to those of you cramming two AWG18 wires into one pin - DON'T! Those pins were not made for two AWG18 wires and the end result will be bad ju-ju!

Second, there really is no reason to put two wires into one pin anyway. The easiest way of doing it is to simple creat an "X" with the two jumper wires by joining/soldering the junction at the "X" (quickest/easiest is a solder sleeve). That way you don't have extra wires, and if one wire breaks you don't lose continuity to the other three. It's clean, simple, easy and fast...plus, no trying to get multiple wires into one pin.

BTW, you really don't have to use AWG18 wires either. A 2" chunk of AWG18 will carry a phenomenal amount of current, so will a 2" chunk of AWG20...

I'll try to get a picture if I have a chance.

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Hey Stein,

For those of us that have already crammed 18AWG wire in those pins...would you recommend we pull them out and redo with 20? I don't have a molex pin remover, but found that a tiny common screw driver works to push the tab down to get it out of the socket...kinda tough, but it works.

Yes I would...two AWG18 wires in one of those pins almost always leads to a failure of either the pin or a wire sooner or later. Neither the connector or the pins were designed for that. Removing them isn't too difficult, you can use one of the high $$ accepted aviation tools like:

A straight jewelers scredriver
A hammered flattened paper clip that is straightened out
A Boby pin that is unfolded
A Piece of .040" safety wire flattened with a hammer
A Hacksaw blade ground down to a small width

And many other ingenious devices. Don't worry, an AWG20 wire that is only 2" long will carry WAYYY more current than that radio will normally use. Better yet, just do the old "X" that I mentioned before and just forgo trying to get two wires to successfully crimp into one of those open barrel molex pins.

Cheers,
Stein

Yes I would...two AWG18 wires in one of those pins almost always leads to a failure of either the pin or a wire sooner or later. Neither the connector or the pins were designed for that. Removing them isn't too difficult, you can use one of the high $$ accepted aviation tools like:

A straight jewelers scredriver
A hammered flattened paper clip that is straightened out
A Boby pin that is unfolded
A Piece of .040" safety wire flattened with a hammer
A Hacksaw blade ground down to a small width

And many other ingenious devices. Don't worry, an AWG20 wire that is only 2" long will carry WAYYY more current than that radio will normally use. Better yet, just do the old "X" that I mentioned before and just forgo trying to get two wires to successfully crimp into one of those open barrel molex pins.

Cheers,
Stein
DANG IT! I knew you would say that! Oh well...I still have some time to work inside before the weather gets nice enough to work in the garage again...:rolleyes: Gives me something to do.

Chad,

Give up... the radio is a POS anyway.
Sorry!!! :eek:

Now that wasn't nice Darrell! ;) I know Stein doesn't like them, but I've heard more good than bad about it. We'll see how things go...

:)

I redid my two in to one 18awg wires last night...to make it easy, and stick with 18awg, I just spliced the jumpers off the main splice to ground...

Icom-re-wire-w.jpg

I do have a question for you Stein...I did not change the two in one 18awg power wires because when I did them originally, I ended up soldering the leads to the pin. They are very solid, and unless you have a problem with that, I was gonna leave them alone...:confused:

Spoke to Stein on the phone yesterday...my question about the soldered power pin was answered...basically, it would probably hold, but how long was the unknown. I grabbed the harness today, and in 15 minutes I had the power wires done properly with a splice away from the connector...

3-7-09-003w.jpg

Also, the yellow electrical tape in the previous pic I posted was there as a reminder to put heat shrink over the splice on the ground wires. I forgot to put it on when I plugged them in the other day. Took care of that today to.

:)

putting 10 Lbs in a 5 lb bag

Just wire all your individual pin numbers off the molex with separate wires out to a common accessable terminal block somewhere and place the appropriate ones together under the same screw. DRR

Jumpers on Icom A210

I also don't think those Molex pins were meant for 2 wires. I made those silly jumper connections off the connector using solder and heat shrink. Much easier.

icom_a210_conn.jpg

Hi Bob,

See the post right before yours...that's how we'd do it. The two jumpers are mated together in a virtual "x". No hassling with multiple wires into a single pin, etc and no mess.

Cheers,
Stein

Back