What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

oil cooler thread sealant.

I probably wouldn't use it myself but just wondering, why not fuel lube? :confused:

You will find many people that swear by the stuff, you will find many people that replaced it with something else, that DID NOT leak!

loctite 561 = no leaks

loctite 567 = no leaks

EZ-turn / Fuellube = easy removal of fitting to apply THREAD Sealant!

Permatex#2

I think i read somewhere here in the forum that Permatex #2 was acceptable for the steel fittings into the oil cooler? Is this Not the case?

I used E-Z turn because it said so on the tube and have had weeping ever since. I bought new fittings to try again at my next oil change, and am planning to use 567.

I think i read somewhere here in the forum that Permatex #2 was acceptable for the steel fittings into the oil cooler? Is this Not the case?

I have used this on many automotive engine applications for thread sealing with good success. Used it on several engine fittings on my RV-6, but haven't flown yet. Just don't use this for coolant applications, as alcohol will break it down.

Larry

It's been on my RV-6 oil cooler fittings since 2003 and no leaks yet. Also was used on my friend's RV-8 when we finished it in 2010.

Just so I get this correct, I would use 567 on pipe threads and fuel lube on flared threads. Is that correct?

Just so I get this correct, I would use 567 on pipe threads and fuel lube on flared threads. Is that correct?

Nothing gets used on the threads of flare fittings or on the flared tube surface itself. Just tighten to spec.

Fuel lube only for lubricating fuel system o-rings like on your fuel caps and such. It can also make a handy temporary "glue" when you need to stick a washer and/or nut to your finger to get onto a bolt in a hard-to-reach location. But that's about it.

Back