What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is alt air required with Horizontal Induction?

TCONROY

Well Known Member
I have what could possibly be a really dumb question. Does the stock XIO-360-M1B with from Van's with horizontal induction for an RV-7 require an ALT AIR control? Doing my research here and all the posts I see are related to the vertical updraft FAB engines. I know very little about these engines and we are getting close to purchasing ours.

Thanks!

Hi Trevor,

The question you are really asking is "Can the air inlet/air filter get blocked?" to which I would say the answer is "Yes". A plastic bag, bird or other foreign object could block the filter. That's when the Alt Air ought to come into play.

Steve

Yes Trevor. I also think you need one since it could get blocked.

I think you should search for all the different ideas people used to build one. I used the standard Vans alt air door, but some guys used nice setup's that probably are more airtight then mine is when closed and not in use.

Trevor
In addition to the email I sent you.
My alternate door would be similar to the heater door with the pull cable.
A piano hinge trap door with a lever arm. Like I told you. I can add this any time. Alt Air is required for flying in known icing. Which I don't think I'll be
doing in my 7.
Smilin' Jack

I have what could possibly be a really dumb question. Does the stock XIO-360-M1B with from Van's with horizontal induction for an RV-7 require an ALT AIR control? Doing my research here and all the posts I see are related to the vertical updraft FAB engines. I know very little about these engines and we are getting close to purchasing ours.

Thanks!

Snorkel Thread

Back