What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EZ-Turn or Loctite 567?

rgmwa

Well Known Member
Just wondering if one is better than the other for fuel and/or brake lines. Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.

For what it is worth, Matco says to use the Loctite 567 on their brake systems. It is also ethanol proof and gasoline proof,

Loctite 567

I used the EZ Turn and ended up with a couple of leaks. I took the brake system down and reinstalled the fittings with Locite 567. Since then I have had no problems.

Teflon tape?

We know that Teflon tape is not to be used on fuel systems because a little piece of it can break away and plug up the system or get caught in the needle valve of the carburetor.
But what about using Teflon tape on brake lines if care is taken? For the most part, there is not much flow of brake fluid except when there is a leak or when purging the system of air. Even if a piece of Teflon tape gets into the brake lines, it is not going to cause as serious of a problem as in a fuel line. Teflon tape is not going to stop hydraulic pressure. I am not recommending using Teflon tape, just asking why not.
Joe Gores

Bakerseal

I'm still building, but have been told to use Bakerseal on brake fittings. Looks & smells like plumbers teflon past.

Loctite 567!!!!!!

On advice-- or maybe misunderstood advice-- from a -7 builder, I used Ez-Turn on all brake, oil, and fuel line fittings. Everything checked out well but as soon as I started taxi tests I found brake leaks where the elbow fittings are screwed into the master cylinder blocks and at the calipers . I wound up removing ALL the elbow fittings including those inside the inspection hatches (hard to do after everything is in the airplane) and cleaning the EZ-Turn off. That took a while since it had hardened, Replaced the elbow fittings with 567 and haven't leaked a drop since. After about 20 hours I started smelling fuel in the cockpit and check the fuel line fittings in the tunnel. Sure enough, the fittings screwed into the shutoff valve were leaking. Cleaned those and use more 567-- no leaks yet. When I pull the gascolator for the CI I'll use 567 there, too. Be sure to read the 567 instructions-- aging memory says that you have to keep turning the fittings in one direction. And I didn't use Loctite on the blue anodized fittings.
Wayne 120241/143WM

i also have to warn against ez-turn.
while this stuff was initially tight, some leaks developed over time and were a pain to get fixed (oil cooler, brake elbows at master cylinders), with a lot of extra work involved.
loctite 577 seems to work fine as well so far, plus it has a better consistency than the very liquidish 567.

rgds, bernie

Not quite sure why all the experimenting. Loctite 567 is recommended by Matco for their brakes, and it is low cost, ethanol proof, brake fluid proof, and gasoline proof. That is good enough for my 12.

Aw shucks RGMWA, you caught me not experimenting and going the follow the leader route. I also lost my nerve and reversed my gear legs too!
I get it on EBay Dan, bought a 50ml tube for about $10 delivered to my door, just got another for a friend, same price. I feel a 50ml tube will be more than enough for a 12.

Loctite

the 577 is closer to ez-turn gooish consistency and based on the spec sheets, a similar fit as the 567, if not better.

Interesting. Loctite 577 has even better resistance to ethanol and brake fluid, but it's a medium strength sealant while 567 is low strength. I'm guessing that a lower strength sealant might be preferable for aluminium threads, but I don't know. If strength isn't important then the 577 looks good. Oddly enough, I couldn't find any specs for EZ-Turn (Fuel Lube) to compare properties, but it seems to have been around for years.

577 don't work apparently on leaded fuels though. The 567 is pretty thin stuff, you have to be careful not to get it in the system I suppose. I finally got cautious and unless it specifically SAYS it works on a liquid, it probably don't.

Last edited:
I used Teflon Tape on my -6A brakes and no leaks in almost 6 years. Your results may vary.... but I put it on my -12 brakes also.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.....

Formagasket #2?

Almost hesitate to ask...what about Formagasket #2?
This discussion didn't exist when I did my brake lines 2 months ago, so I used my "ol reliable" goo. The specs seem to indicate that it would be OK.
Other thoughts?

Thanks!
Dave

Dave

The only additional info I've found since the last post is that Loctite 567 is good for high pressure applications (hence I guess why Matco specified it for the brake lines), and Loctite 577 is good for coarse threads.

I did eventually find a spec sheet for EZ-Turn. It's described as a lubricant/sealer, resistant to fuel and ethanol. Not much other information on properties that would allow a direct comparison with Loctite or other products though.

Also found this datasheet on Formagasket #2.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61QnepbpxVS.pdf

Is it OK for the RV? Maybe :confused:.

577 and Leaded Fuel

Just curious, where did the data on 577 being incompatible with leaded fuels come from? I couldn't find any information on that in the datasheet.

-DC

Look at the spec sheet, it says specifically UNLEADED fuels. Nothing about 100LL.

which does not automatically imply that it must be incompatible to leaded fuels...
maybe it's missing in the list simply because there are no more leaded fuels (except one called AVGAS...)
anyway, i can only speak for our brake system, but that one holds up well so far, better than ez-turn in any case.

rgds, bernie

Quite true, however the same maker says simply gasoline on the 567, which I take to mean ALL gasoline. Both are suspect of course because of the vagueness.

which does not automatically imply that it must be incompatible to leaded fuels...
maybe it's missing in the list simply because there are no more leaded fuels (except one called AVGAS...)
anyway, i can only speak for our brake system, but that one holds up well so far, better than ez-turn in any case.

rgds, bernie

Why so complicated? And controversial? Go with the one we have had good luck with and recommended. Sheeeeeezzzzzz!

Sealant

Why use anything? Transport category aircraft 3000psi systems don't use a thing. If the parts are properly formed / assembled they won't leak. If it does you screwed something up.

Why use anything? Transport category aircraft 3000psi systems don't use a thing. If the parts are properly formed / assembled they won't leak. If it does you screwed something up.

That's because MS fittings using 'O' rings instead of pipe threads, different animal.

I have fittings that I used ez-turn on and they are leaking.

In process of draining and reinstalling with lt567.

In process of draining and reinstalling with lt567.

Properly installed NPT fittings still need to be very tight to assure a good seal. Between 1.5 and 2 turns after finger tight. If not, it can still leak regardless of what thread sealant you use.

Properly installed NPT fittings still need to be very tight to assure a good seal. Between 1.5 and 2 turns after finger tight. If not, it can still leak regardless of what thread sealant you use.

And this is why it is used more as a lubricant than a sealant. And why they are tapered threads.

Try this.... take two new fittings (hardware store) male and female. Dry, screw them together hand tight. Mark it. Then continue till you think it is tight. Mark it. Now remove the fitting and screw it back in hand tight and look at the mark... it went in farther than the first time. Now remove and place a thin coat of pipe thread dope (I like TFT) on the male fitting and tighten to what you think is tight.... maybe use a torque wrench for this. Each time, the threads continued to mate better.

Look at the marks. The fitting has set in farther and the threads have made a better interference fit, not because the compound sealed up the space between the threads, but it allowed the threads to seal (seat) to each other far better. Short of gluing the parts together. And there is a product for that too.

Back