Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:26 PM

Smile Installing Viking alternate engine

I recently picked up my Viking engine from the factory in Florida with my small SUV. Installed on my RV12. Took about four hour to hang without help. I do have an electric fork lift which helps. Jan recommends ordering the installation video which I found very helpful, especially when doing his wiring. I have been keeping a list of things that are needed to finish installation and will be glad to pass this information along to anyone doing an RV12 installation. Believe me this will save tons of time. Most of what's needed comes from Spruce and B&C.
Last week we did a weight and balance and it came out very good. My arm came in at 81.20. Total weight was about 760 lbs. with bathroom scales. I new my plane was heavy as I have every option installed. Auto pilot, light package, wheel pants, heavy paint job with vinyl strips snd seats custom made by Abby at Flight Line. Seats are twice at thick as Vans with confor foam which is really heavy. I wanted to sit higher. Weight is the price you pay for comfort. The Viking engine installation is very clean and simple. All that is left to finish the installation is the cowl which I hope is easier that my RV9. This will probably be the first RV12 Viking flying. Will keep you all informed of progress. Ron Russ

Fisher Avenger V, RV9A, Rv12

Last edited by Avenger V : 06-29-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:23 AM

congrats on that milestone. Got any pics to share?

Erich
Old 06-29-2011, 12:54 AM

I think I dozzzzzzed off in class, what is a Viking engine?
Old 06-29-2011, 02:23 AM

Default Viking engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
I think I dozzzzzzed off in class, what is a Viking engine?
http://www.vikingaircraftengines.com/
Old 06-29-2011, 03:49 AM

Thanks for the post, Ron. Your information will surely be as helpful as Joes was for assembling the plane. A slightly heavy build will be acceptable for me as I only weigh 150 clothed and my wife tips the scale at 117. I only yesterday sent my confirmation order back to Vans informing them to eliminate the engine cowling from my finish kit order. I would like to know if anything else needs eliminated.
Up to this time I was on the fence because of ease of assembly going ELSA.
Will take longer this way and will not like the 40hr test period. However I will be much happier with my project. Looking forward to pics and results.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:00 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

So how come the "Angry" face on the thread? Your post reads like your installation worked out pretty well.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 06-29-2011, 07:12 AM

Default Oshkosh 2011?

I hope one of you guys can getting a flying 12 ready by Oshkosh. I'd like to see an actual flying version in a 12 out of Phase 1 while I'm up there . Once I get my 9A done I'd like a 12 as a next project and this engine is looking more attractive as time passes. Especially now that yearly medicals are in my future. I am guessing that building a RV12 as a EAB still would allow it flown in the sport pilot category.
Building RV-12 with brother
Old 06-29-2011, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the post Ron, I am hoping to be the SECOND RV 12 to fly with a Viking (well maybe the third, Jan is working on his already), waiting for my engine now. I would appreciate a copy of your list so I can start accumulating "stuff" to make the conversion.
I have already started taking off the battery bracket, gascolator, etc, tell me more and more! Sure hope to see you at Oshkosh!

Last edited by DonFromTX : 06-29-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:11 AM

Default Angry face in thread

Don't know how I did that but I can't figure out how to remove it and put a happy face in place. Ron

[Done; S. Buchanan]

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 06-29-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiverlv View Post
Thanks for the post, Ron. Your information will surely be as helpful as Joes was for assembling the plane. A slightly heavy build will be acceptable for me as I only weigh 150 clothed and my wife tips the scale at 117. I only yesterday sent my confirmation order back to Vans informing them to eliminate the engine cowling from my finish kit order. I would like to know if anything else needs eliminated.
Up to this time I was on the fence because of ease of assembly going ELSA.
Will take longer this way and will not like the 40hr test period. However I will be much happier with my project. Looking forward to pics and results.
You don't need cowl, upper engine mount, fuel flow, fuel pump. These are the money items. Your weight with wife and mine are the same. I'm on the road, but when i return I will send pictures. Ron
Closed Thread