- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:54 PM

Default RV12 Build Cost

I know I have seen attempts at answering this question, but they all come at the answer in various ways. Below, I have outlined all the line items I know I need. I have left out shipping as this varies by location. I have left out paint because this could wait and I don't even know what I would want to do for paint yet. What have I totally FORGOTTEN and what should I plan for that I will definitely need (replacement of parts I ruin, things that the kits don't include etc)? I have nearly all the tools and I have no problem paying for the remaining items from a "different" budget. I really just want to establish an airplane budget. I appreciate all the ideas!

$425 fasteners
$2835 Empennage
$6925 Wings
$6620 Fuselage
$10825 Finish
$500 Crating
$33780 FWF 912is
$2825 Prop
$21000 avionics (single screen, two axis AP)

Total $85,735
Old 01-21-2021, 07:37 PM

Also:

Taxes
Freight charges
All fluids, tank sealant, rtv, etc
Interior primer/paint
Any interior upgrades
Old 01-21-2021, 07:59 PM

I’m sure others will chime in and add to this list, but based upon my first-time build experience, I’d plan on the following additions:

- Epoxy resin & fiberglass sheet - $100
- Miscellaneous tools you don’t realize you need - $500
- You’ll want a Kroger shade - $200
- You’ll probably want the Van’s portable tow bar for rudder locking and transient aircraft movement.
- You’ll want a more robust steel tow bar for maneuvering in and out of the hangar- $250
- Miscellaneous sealants, adhesives, fluids (brake, radiator, etc.) and lubricants - $200
- Self-etching primer. Amount depends upon how you answer the next question.
- How do you plan to handle cockpit interior finish? I painstakingly identified each interior part and pre primed and painted them prior to installation. If leaving bare, no cost addition.
- DAR services will depend on your area but estimate $500-$750.
- If building E-LSA do you plan on getting your inspection certification? - $500 or so for 16 hour training class, plus travel expenses.
- Insurance. Prices will vary, but definitely a consideration.

Should be enough to chew on. Bottom line, there are a lot of hidden costs, so plan for the unknown.

Last edited by Bob Y : 01-22-2021 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:07 PM

Thanks for the responses. Bob, is it more realistic to budget $100k and hope to have a little leftover?
Old 01-21-2021, 10:11 PM

Budget 100K, and if you come in under budget, you'll look like a hero.
RV-12, #212 N72DJ, bought flying. A Blessing in disguise. Thank you Double D!
Old 01-22-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcy482 View Post
Thanks for the responses. Bob, is it more realistic to budget $100k and hope to have a little leftover?
$100k would be more than adequate. You’d definitely have more left if you’re going with your initially stated build specs.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:11 AM

Default EAB

Just build it EAB and save probably $35k on engine and avionics. Nothing wrong with used avionics and low time engine.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:51 AM

I would budget at least 2k for build tools.

Jim

2006 Rans S-6S Coyote (flying)
Old 01-22-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R7237 View Post
Just build it EAB and save probably $35k on engine and avionics. Nothing wrong with used avionics and low time engine.
Probably not very many 912is engines on the used market yet. Of course one could use the 912ULS, or go way off course with UL Power, Jabiru, or Aeromomentum.

Part of the appeal to me of the package deal is, well, the package deal! I know myself. I'd be much more likely to complete it within my lifetime if all the decisions are made for me, because it would keep me from overthinking every. Fracking. Thing.

That said, I'm still struggling with RV-12is vs a -7 or -9, because when it comes to money there's really not a lot of difference. Especially when you factor in used engines and simple panels.

Luckily I don't have to make that decision right now. Having just moved to a new house, I have a garage full of boxes to convert into a workshop before I can do anything at all.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:26 AM

I would recommend triple checking your assumptions with respect to the options in the wing, fuse, and finish kits. Your numbers suggest that your choosing almost no options which is a fine personal choice to make, but I would recommend considering them as budget contingencies.

I started out assuming a modest build, but after I had put some time in and was really getting excited about the airplane the options started creeping in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris View Post
Probably not very many 912is engines on the used market yet. Of course one could use the 912ULS, or go way off course with UL Power, Jabiru, or Aeromomentum.

Part of the appeal to me of the package deal is, well, the package deal! I know myself. I'd be much more likely to complete it within my lifetime if all the decisions are made for me, because it would keep me from overthinking every. Fracking. Thing.

That said, I'm still struggling with RV-12is vs a -7 or -9, because when it comes to money there's really not a lot of difference. Especially when you factor in used engines and simple panels.

Luckily I don't have to make that decision right now. Having just moved to a new house, I have a garage full of boxes to convert into a workshop before I can do anything at all.