- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-24-2020, 06:18 AM

Default Canopy or cowl/FWF next?

Iíve reached a point where (I think) all of my firewall-mounted equipment has been located, thanks to a temporary installation of the engine earlier. Now Iím trying to decide if I should proceed with continuing on the engine installation, to include initial cowl and baffle fitting and then starting to wire in some components, or switching gears for a while and doing the first phase of the (slider) canopy installationófitting the rollbar, tracks, big cut, frame, etc., not the skirt fairings or attaching the windscreen.

Our winters here are pretty mild and I have several small electric heaters I can use to warm the shop up further; plus, Iíd be able to get the canopy out of the shipping crate and free up some room.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?
Old 10-24-2020, 06:47 AM

I did the canopy first and then put it back into the shipping box for safe storage. That didnít save me any room but I know itís finished, safe and out of the way in its box. Then I installed the engine, did the wiring and just finished the baffles. The list is getting shorter but it seems like every item takes a full day or 10 days to complete.
2020 dues paid
Old 10-24-2020, 10:53 AM

Probably either or....I did canopy first. And if slider, I highly recommend supertracks. You wonít regret that!

Also, i recommend leaving windscreen and top fwd skin for last to allow easier access for wiring.
AUO
Old 10-24-2020, 11:12 AM

Flip a coin! & build on!
Old 10-24-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV74ME View Post
Probably either or....I did canopy first. And if slider, I highly recommend supertracks. You wonít regret that!
They just came in last week

Quote:
Also, i recommend leaving windscreen and top fwd skin for last to allow easier access for wiring.
Thatís the plan for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Inkster View Post
Flip a coin! & build on!
Ha!
Old 10-24-2020, 01:54 PM

Default Something to add to the equation

Painting the interior affects some other things. Installing cable, wires etc from the panel rearward will require some processes that may scratch paint. Also, you may not prefer painting over cables, wires, grommets etc. So I fabbed FWF wire & piping, canopy plus all things headed rearward. Then got it out of the way to paint interior (current project).
Clinton, IN
Old 10-24-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry DeCamp View Post
Painting the interior affects some other things. Installing cable, wires etc from the panel rearward will require some processes that may scratch paint. Also, you may not prefer painting over cables, wires, grommets etc. So I fabbed FWF,canopy plus all things headed rearward. Then got it out of the way to paint interior (current project).
Iíve been painting interior components as I go (before riveting them in). Iím not a great painter and figured an attempt to paint after assembly would look worse than one painted before assembly that got a bit of wear. Got a bit of touchup to do (and one or two things to paint now because I didnít think about them early enough) but Iím not too concerned on that front.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:35 PM

I did the canopy first, but I don't think it matters.

HUGE 2nd to supertracks and Almost a 14 mod if you are a taller guy.
Inspection coming
2018/19/20 VAF dues paid
Old 10-25-2020, 12:40 PM

I found it easier to make all the measurements and adjustments to the roll bar and canopy frame with the engine out of the way
Old 10-25-2020, 03:13 PM

Default Canopy first

I also did canopy and windshield. My shop was all set up for fiberglass work so I finished the windshield, canopy skirt and all the tips. Yea, I'm sure I'll regret it but it's done and it felt really good to be finished with the plexi.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.