- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:29 PM

Default Beacons

Why are beacons not used on experimental planes? Can I put one on anyway if I want one?
Old 10-18-2020, 04:40 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

No reason that you can’t - and I know of a number of people who have. I think we’ve gotten away from them with good strobes being available, and now with LED strobes all around, folks decide a beacon is just extra complication and weight.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 10-18-2020, 07:27 PM

I personally like having both. More light when your flying is good to be seen but LED strobes at night on the ground are super irritating to be taxiing around. I fly a decent amount at night though.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:27 AM

My build will have both for a few reason. I bought this beacon from spruce. It's wired through a fuse and is on whenever the master is on. 1) I like a beacon because it says the aircraft power is on and the engine could start. 2) I can look at the plane from a distance and see that the power is off. 3) I have always thought it was courteous to not turn on strobes until crossing the hold short line, especially at night.
2020 dues paid
Old 10-19-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn View Post
My build will have both for a few reason. I bought this beacon from spruce. It's wired through a fuse and is on whenever the master is on. 1) I like a beacon because it says the aircraft power is on and the engine could start. 2) I can look at the plane from a distance and see that the power is off. 3) I have always thought it was courteous to not turn on strobes until crossing the hold short line, especially at night.
This.

However, some aircraft have strobes as their only anti-collision lighting system so they tend to taxi with them on at night. This seems endemic to certain brands....

But, like you, I've always avoided the strobes going on until I cross the line to depart, and they go off as soon as I exit the runway. They do go back on if I'm crossing another runway but go back off as soon as I'm clear.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:45 AM

The ancient Grimes style rotating beacon has long been surpassed by LED technology, but I agree there is some utility to having a separate "ground warning" type light. I also try not to turn on strobes until on the runway, but I do have an "always on" LED flasher for the reasons listed above.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...g-lights/1905/

I first found this $35 device (on this forum) and it has been GREAT. Not quite up to the intensity of dedicated ACL, but very, very bright. For the money, its hard to go wrong.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C
Old 10-19-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
The ancient Grimes style rotating beacon has long been surpassed by LED technology, but I agree there is some utility to having a separate "ground warning" type light. I also try not to turn on strobes until on the runway, but I do have an "always on" LED flasher for the reasons listed above.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...g-lights/1905/

I first found this $35 device (on this forum) and it has been GREAT. Not quite up to the intensity of dedicated ACL, but very, very bright. For the money, its hard to go wrong.
What he said! I installed this $35 red LED on the belly of my -8. Itís cheap, effective, quiet and an easy install. Having it flashing on the belly has saved me twice recently from walking away and leaving the master switch on... doh!
Houston, TX
Old 10-19-2020, 11:03 AM

Yep, that Red 360 degree MSTRB is great. So small, bright, low-draw, simple and radio silent. I'm glad to hear it caught on.

Last edited by moosepileit : 10-19-2020 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:59 AM

I just bought two of these MSTRBs for my -4. One for the top, one for the bottom.

Anybody had bad experiences installing a beacon/strobe on the top, behind a bubble canopy? Any issues with distractions at night or the like?
Old 10-26-2020, 10:44 AM

For top coverage there is a sweet spot on the vertical stab cap where forward projection does not catch your eye on the wings. Just not too far forward and not back too far. About 1/4 from the leading edge of the vert stab. Too far back also highlights the top of the wings.

I would not think there is any good spot on the aft fuselage upper surface.

Easy enough to mock up with the MSTRB. Temp wire it to 12 v and hot glue it to a test spot. Darken hangar.

If it does not highlight the wings or catch your eye as you scan, top fuse could work. Doubler and standard practices/43.13 and all.

It will wind up about a half inch lower, I assume you will not surface mount it, but recess mount it.

Last edited by moosepileit : 10-26-2020 at 11:26 AM.