Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-04-2020, 06:01 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Default I Like the CQ1!

A few weeks ago, I finally got a chance to start flying with a CQ1 Headset from Card Machine Works (thanks Tanya!), and I've got to say - I am really liking it! The best measure of the perfect headset (in my opinion) is that I simply don't notice it at all - and this one comes pretty close to that. It just does everything it is supposed to do, and you don't know it is doing it.

I’ve been flying with Halo Headsets for close to fifteen years now, and between Louise and I we own five of them. So I am obviously pretty happy with the concept of the “lightweight headset”. Why five? because we have one for every RV seat we own (between three airplanes). The Tundra has DC Ones because, well, it does....and I fly the jet with a helmet - otherwise, it is all about light weight! The CQ1 fits much more securely on the head than the Halo, without giving any indication of being there, or clamping. The microphone boom is fully adjustable, yet it holds its adjustment much better than the Halo. I guess I have gotten used to compensating for the Halo's mic wandering around - with the CQ1, I don't have to compensate.

One of the problem areas we have in maintaining the Halo's is the volume knob - the internal potentiometers get dirty in spots, creating "dead spots" in the volume control. This means we have to do a cleaning with spray once a year. The CQ1 uses a different type of knob that looks to be more closed up- and certainly works perfectly out of the box ... big improvement.

Lightweight headsets have always been something that some love and others don't. I always tell people they need to fly with one for five to ten hours before deciding - they are different enough that you might not like the first or second time you use them. But they grow on you - if you let them. One caution is that one "sizing" does not fit all - you probably need to do a little bending to get them, just like you want them. In addition to the Halos, we've got a Clarity Aloft, and the same is true. In fact, Louise tried on the CQ1 and didn't like the way it fit the back of her head, even though it fit me great - so some adjustment is required.

Overall, I think the CQ1 is a great evolutionary step in the history of lightweight headsets, and we might have to look at getting a couple more for the fleet!

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 10-04-2020, 07:27 PM

It would be helpful if the website modeled more examples of wearing them.

What is the feature at the opposite end of the frame from the mic end?

I have always hated the barbed silicone inserts. When I shoot, I use the yellow foam earplugs. Do the standard ear inserts work like foam earplugs? If so, how do you roll it up to insert it? How well do they adapt to odd-shaped ear canals? I have to really contort to get a good insertion with the foam plug on one ear.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet" Flying since Sept. 2009
Hobbs 635
LS6-15/18W sailplane SOLD
bought my old LS6-A back!!
VAF donation Dec 2020
Old 10-04-2020, 07:37 PM

CQ1 ??
From days long ago, I rember CQ1 as the call sign for Captain Midnight. He was the lead in the television series Captain Midnight. I also had his decoder ring and was a member of the SQ squadron.
flying
Old 10-04-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post

I have always hated the barbed silicone inserts. When I shoot, I use the yellow foam earplugs. Do the standard ear inserts work like foam earplugs? If so, how do you roll it up to insert it? How well do they adapt to odd-shaped ear canals? I have to really contort to get a good insertion with the foam plug on one ear.
There are a ton of different plugs that work (and don't work) with in-ear headsets. I have Halos and went through every tip option they offer and didn't like the headsets at all until I tried their "soft foam" (black) tips. They made all the difference in the world for me. The CQ1 website shows numerous tips, including ones that appear similar to the ones I use with my Halos.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 10-04-2020, 08:22 PM

Default CQ1 Headset Review

I have posted before regarding the CQ Headset. I will still confirm Paul's review.
I have flown with many different headsets - pick one(Halo, Clarity, Bose, Lightspeed, etc) The CQ found at cqheadset.com is still the best for my operations. I do not chase the boom during aerobatics or formation flight where my head is moving around a lot! And for long cross country they are sure more comfortable. They are a non issue if you wear glasses or hats. My grown adult kids used to fly with a set of ANR Bose now they prefer the CQ set. Like Paul said, you need to make sure you give your new headset some serious flying time. The great thing about these are they can be tweaked to your specs (ear inserts, volume, etc) -within reason. The owners are always willing to talk headsets and help you to get your headset ready for many hours of comfortable flying - and being able to hear ATC and your pax. They are the best headset on the market that I have found for my full spectrum of ops.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:23 PM
Moderator, Asst. Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelf View Post
CQ1 ??
From days long ago, I rember CQ1 as the call sign for Captain Midnight. He was the lead in the television series Captain Midnight. I also had his decoder ring and was a member of the SQ squadron.
Catch up.

http://cqheadset.com

Sid "Scroll" Mayeux, Col, USAF (ret)
52F NW Regional/Aero Valley Airport, Roanoke TX (home of DR's Van Cave)
"KELLI GIRL" N260KM RV-7A tipper
Catch her on YouTube's "Because I Fly!" channel

Exemption waived.
Proud and grateful 2021 -=VAF=- Contributor

PS: I am not an influencer. I have no influence. Just ask my kids.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:01 PM

Default Ear plug placement

Click on the “FAQ” tab on the CQ headset webpage

WATCH the video at the bottom
(And read through the FAQs)

I know, I know,... simple stupid ear plugs,......
Well,... they fit better, and cancel, noise better , now that I follow recommended procedure

That goes for CQ1 or other headsets, and plugs for yard work
Phase 2 has started!
Thanksgiving time, is dues time for us
Old 10-04-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post
I haven't got a CQ1 yet, but I asked Scott about ear inserts. I have a set of high end earbuds from Etymotic, and asked if the CQ1 could use the same inserts that I like with the earbuds. Scott said that they have the ability to put many different kinds of tips on, including the Etymotic ER38 type. The ER38 has several different types that can be changed between.

I'm looking forward to getting a CQ1, but between a bunch of other expenses and projects, I've had to re-prioritize the purchase for now.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:11 AM

Question

One of the things that stands out for me is the cable coming from the mic/frame connection. It seems like this would be in the way, but its not clear. It seems like it would be better to come out behind the ear to lay across the shoulder more.

Do you find cable management to be an issue?
RV-14 (Still dreaming)
Old 10-05-2020, 09:22 AM

I prefer my Clarity's over A20s, DC proX, and proflights in my 8. That being said, what makes these different and improved over Clarity? I've looked at the page, and seen the description. But I have not compared them in an airplane. I already have several sets of Clarity's. I have considered getting some of these for the 10 I am building, for at least myself and wife.

RV8 N189DK
RV10 in progress