Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 09:28 AM

Default I guess I found my ADSB! UAvionix Tail Light

I was disappointed that I wouldn?t be able to use the UAvionix Red position light. My position light is inside my LE wingtip, so that was out. I was reading this morning on the Facebook and I saw a post from Flying Magazine showing that UAvionix has made a tail light adsb. The UAvionix website actually says that they won?t be developing a tail light, just red and green.

So here it is. It is a little more expensive for some reason, but I like the ease of installation. I also like the discrete mode.

https://www.flyingmag.com/uavionix-i...ads-b-products
ATP/CFI/II/MEI
N617TN
Old 04-05-2018, 09:52 AM

Default development

I have noticed something about uAvionix. It reminds me of Chelton Flight Systems. When I was their chief pilot, the pace of development was astounding. They were breaking ground so fast it was hard to keep up. As a CFI I taught people to fly synthetic vision from Alaska to South Africa, with a lot of stops in between. Communication to the consumers lagged behind at times. uAvionix shared a booth with me last week at the Aircraft Electronics Assoc. convention. Shane proved to be just about the smartest guy in the room. He was showing avionics techs the tail light that is under certification development. We had to shade the device lest it blind the viewers. It is evolving from an ADS-B device only, to a bright position light as well. I suspect by Oshkosh, most pilots in the U.S. will be much more familiar with their products and be able to purchase not only for experimental but also two and four seat planes under a certain weight class. This is a positive since I feel complicit in promoting Navworx in the early days. I saw red flag warnings there early on, but we did not react quickly enough.
It will be interesting to see what other unique solutions come forth from uAvionix down the road. (and feel free to call them micro avionix if you wish) Cheers

exemption option waived. Donation appropriate.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:58 AM

I like the ease of installation, but not the fact that the airplane will block most of the signal to the front... The area where you'd think you want your visibility to be the strongest?
Old 04-06-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
I like the ease of installation, but not the fact that the airplane will block most of the signal to the front... The area where you'd think you want your visibility to be the strongest?
Question: If the aircraft are communicating with the ADS-B ground station(s) wouldn?t the visibility be OK, no matter the relative angles of the ADS-B in/out antennas on each individual aircraft?

Isn?t it the case currently that the non ADS-B out aircraft only show up on our displays because the ground stations provide that data?

Carl

RV7A - purchased flying 05/2020
RV6A - purchased flying 07/2011, for sale 1/2021
Old 04-06-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlogic View Post
I have noticed something about uAvionix. It reminds me of Chelton Flight Systems.
Not sure if you meant that in a good or bad way...
Old 04-06-2018, 03:41 PM

It doesn't appear to be a tail strobe, but a tail light. If this is the case, you're still going to have to find a way to deal with either A) adding a tail strobe if you're using wingtip strobes, or B) adding a flashing beacon to the tail tip or roof top of your plane. Unless I'm mistaken and it actually is a strobe... Most RV's I've ever seen have wingtip strobes and Nav's, and a combination tail strobe/light.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytoday View Post
Question: If the aircraft are communicating with the ADS-B ground station(s) wouldn?t the visibility be OK, no matter the relative angles of the ADS-B in/out antennas on each individual aircraft?

Isn?t it the case currently that the non ADS-B out aircraft only show up on our displays because the ground stations provide that data?

Carl
That?s not the way it works. Your ADSB-out signal tells the ground station what frequencies you?re listening on. The ground station will not send up traffic that it thinks you should be receiving directly.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
That?s not the way it works. Your ADSB-out signal tells the ground station what frequencies you?re listening on. The ground station will not send up traffic that it thinks you should be receiving directly.
My ADSB-out antenna (blade shared with xponder) is on the belly. My ADSB-in antennas/receivers are a Scout and GDL39 in the cabin, windshield area.

I won?t see someone directly below me? Especially if the lower plane also has an ADSB-out belly antenna?

Carl

RV7A - purchased flying 05/2020
RV6A - purchased flying 07/2011, for sale 1/2021
Old 04-06-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytoday View Post
My ADSB-out antenna (blade shared with xponder) is on the belly. My ADSB-in antennas/receivers are a Scout and GDL39 in the cabin, windshield area.

I won?t see someone directly below me? Especially if the lower plane also has an ADSB-out belly antenna?

Carl
Line-of-sight radio transmission being blocked by "stuff" in the way is only applicable at fairly appreciable distances. Anything close enough to you to worry about, but directly above or below, is going to be sending a powerful enough signal to be seen on the other side of your aircraft regardless.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:16 PM

UAVIONICS wingtip and tail WAAS GPS receivers and Nav position lights are 978 UAT transmitters, right?

They only transmit via UAT on 978 MHz to ground stations, not other aircraft, right?

If you want to see or be seen air to air via transponder you either need the other guy to have a 1090ES transponder and you to have a 1090 ADSB-IN solution to see him and you to have the same to see you, air to air.

Otherwise you need full up TCAS or you are depending on FAA retransmissions from the ground.

I'll likely put this newest Uavionix offering on our 6.

Pun intended...