Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2014, 04:22 PM

Default The impossible turn.

The correct mental preparation , (if the engine fails at take off), is to fly the plane straight forward with only small corrections in the general course and try to land safely. But IF the situation is a little bit more on the positive side?

If you have enough altitude you obviously must have the opportonity to turn around. In order to improve the possibility to succeed turning around it must be possible to take advantage of the wind direction and make sure your vector places the plane in a good position above the field.

Look on the attached image, isn't option number three better if you have a long enough runway and can gain altitude fast, like the RV's generally do.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1x...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by kjelle69 : 11-01-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:46 PM

Sort of. MY OPINION AT THE MOMENT IS...Depends on how long the runway is, how strong the wind is, obstacles in the airport vicinity to name a few. As long as there is a possibility to land on the runway directly ahead, I would think that you should remain directly above it. After that runway has passed, I may choose to drift to the right (option 3) once useful runway is gone (downwind, and assuming this does not add any other risks or remove any potential off airport landing sites) so that the power off turn would be into wind maximizing airspeed over the wing while turning and minimizing the radius of the turn over the ground.

Whatever method you choose, have a firm decision altitude number in your head before beginning the takeoff role below which, it's straight ahead. Practice at altitude. Remember that when practicing at altitude with the engine at idle, your performance will be better than with engine completely shut down and under duress. So add something to your practice numbers.

My opinions only. NOT a CFI. Be safe but do practice.

Bevan
Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada
Old 11-01-2014, 07:34 PM

Actually the impossible turn is possible, with proper training and above some minimum altitude. Now this minimum altitude changes on every takeoff but you should have a good idea of what it is prior to taking off. If you don't have a good idea of what that minimum altitude is for that particular takeoff, don't even try it.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by GalinHdz : 11-02-2014 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-01-2014, 07:35 PM

Default Impossible turn?

Does not seem to be impossible in an RV. 500' Agl.(my personal target) Best glide speed, or 100
MPh by default, climb out straight, turn into the wind, climb or keep the nose down to 100mph and turn as steep as needed. No G's being pulled in this descending turn. I have a suction cup altitude bug on my altimeter. It's part of my check list to add 500' to field elevation. You won't have time for calculations.
I've practiced multiple times. I will still land straight ahead if there is open space. I will turn back if the risk exists of injuring others. 500' is my min.

I know this is a heated debate and some may not like my comments.
It's worked for me. I want the option.

Last edited by agirard7a : 11-01-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:00 PM

Default KNOW YOUR AEROPLANE

1. Know YOUR aeroplane, not all RV's do this the same.
The RV9 mentioned above compared to an RV6 would be vastly different. My -10 will do it from 400' and we have a small margin. From 500' if executed properly we risk running off the far end of the runway.

2. You must focus on airspeed and a 45 degree turn, flying just off the buffet.

3. You must do this for real and do it the first few times at altitude using a hard deck, then do it starting at a height a few hundred higher. Work up to the lower altitudes. CAUTION: Do this ONLY with a suitable instructor, and I mean suitable?an Ag instructor, aerobatic (low level endorsed) or something similar as the rush close to the ground is not to be taken lightly.

4. Be prepared to take anything within reach, you may not make a turn back but a 90 degree turn may be the best option and within reach, be primed to push for airspeed initially and bank to 45 degrees, then pull to just on the onset of buffeter slightly less.

5. KNOW YOUR AEROPLANE

6. This is not for beginners or the untrained. Low level ops is serious business.

David Brown

DYNON Authorised Dealer and Installer

The two best investments you can make, by any financial test, an EMS and APS!
Old 11-01-2014, 08:24 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

I say this every time - everyone who died doing the turn-back THOUGHT they could do it.....they all considered themselves to be superior pilots.

If you land straight ahead, you'll most likely survive with minor or no injuries.

If you turn back and screw it up, you (and your trusting passengers) will die - period.

The percentage that make it is small, the percentage that die is large.

So the question you have to ask yourself is...do you feel lucky?

Practice all you want - unless you have experienced a real emergency, you don't know how you'll react.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 11-01-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV10inOz View Post
My -10 will do it from 400' and we have a small margin. From 500' if executed properly we risk running off the far end of the runway.
How much difference did you find in the altitude required with mixture pulled to ICO, vs the altitude required with the engine running at idle?
http://www.kilohotel.com/rv8/
Old 11-01-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
I say this every time - everyone who died doing the turn-back THOUGHT they could do it.....they all considered themselves to be superior pilots.

If you land straight ahead, you'll most likely survive with minor or no injuries.

If you turn back and screw it up, you (and your trusting passengers) will die - period.

The percentage that make it is small, the percentage that die is large.

So the question you have to ask yourself is...do you feel lucky?

Practice all you want - unless you have experienced a real emergency, you don't know how you'll react.
Paul, I couldn't have said it better if I spent a week working on it, and I would have pushed the like button if there was one....

Regardless of how passionate anyone is about their beliefs on this subject, I hope they will consider ever word of this post in regards to what they believe.

Scott McDaniels
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 11-01-2014, 10:27 PM

Default ?

Paul, Kevin, what does one do when landing
straight requires you land in a populated, congested
area?

Personally, if practiced in knowing ones airplane and altitude limits, turning back
may be a "luckier" option than landing in someone's back yard,
school yard, or a crowded parking lot.

I'm not saying landing straight in wouldn't be a safer
option. If open space is available.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agirard7a View Post
Paul, Kevin, what does one do when landing
straight requires you land in a populated, congested
area?
As the great Bob Hoover says: "Fly the plane as far into the crash as possible."