VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

  #11  
Old 03-07-2014, 08:53 AM
pappa pappa is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: B'ham, Al
Posts: 38
Default gross weight

??? as to mr daniels reply, can you not leave the tanks 5 gallons less than full and go fly???
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-07-2014, 09:06 AM
Lemmingman's Avatar
Lemmingman Lemmingman is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 689
Default Ok, so now I'm confused

I thought gross weight was a value that could only be altered by the designer of the aircraft.

I may be having a senior moment, but wasn't there a situation last year where an RV10 owner got cross-ways with Van over his stated change of gross weight for his aircraft? I could have sworn I read here that the gross weight change would have to be approved by a DER, even on an experimental design. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.
__________________
Gil Brice
McKinney, TX EAA-1246
RV7 - Working on fuse, fuel, brakes etc...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-07-2014, 09:18 AM
Jr Hampton's Avatar
Jr Hampton Jr Hampton is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: KFYV
Posts: 58
Default Just thinking

Was on the verge of buying a 6A. Empty was 1085 gross 1650. Im 250 the woman is 160. 5'8 and 5'2. I promised my self and her, we would not buy if we couldn't at least take of with full fuel. That ony leave about 26G left. That's w/o any baggage. soooo close. Not to mention getting transition training in it. Guess I just keep saving and keep hitting the gym.
__________________
WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOOOOOOIE
Donated 12/15/20
-Building RV7 - Quit 2013
-Saving to Buy flyng 6,7,or 9, A model
-Bought flying RV6A-2020
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-07-2014, 09:33 AM
Sam Buchanan's Avatar
Sam Buchanan Sam Buchanan is offline
been here awhile
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 4,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmingman View Post
I thought gross weight was a value that could only be altered by the designer of the aircraft.

I may be having a senior moment, but wasn't there a situation last year where an RV10 owner got cross-ways with Van over his stated change of gross weight for his aircraft? I could have sworn I read here that the gross weight change would have to be approved by a DER, even on an experimental design. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.
Yes, the designer may not be happy with the gross weight determined by the builder, but gross weight is whatever is stated on the airworthiness certificate application. There are RV-6's with gross weights ranging from 1600lb to 1800+lbs due to whatever the builder wished to establish as gross weight for that particular aircraft.

There are even rumors that some RV-6's have been safely/carefully flown over the registered gross weight and still within WB limits.
__________________
Sam Buchanan
RV-6
Fokker D.VII replica

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 03-07-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-07-2014, 04:09 PM
newt's Avatar
newt newt is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
There are even rumors that some RV-6's have been safely/carefully flown over the registered gross weight and still within WB limits.
B limits, perhaps. Don't think you can exceed gross without blasting past W.

- mark
__________________
[ Paid up on 3 Feb 2020 ]
RV-6 VH-SOL
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-09-2014, 12:30 PM
hawker hawker is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hartford CT
Posts: 39
Default Non builder

Same process if you are not the builder?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-09-2014, 12:40 PM
alpinelakespilot2000 alpinelakespilot2000 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Hampton View Post
If one were looking at an RV to purchase and wanted to increase the gross weight, how would one go about it. Me and the Mrs are overweight. yes Im trying to loose some weight.
I'm a bit surprised by comments in this thread so far. Sure, one can (and many have) registered their aircraft with higher gross weights than the designer recommended. However, the designer's gross weight was not set willy-nilly. Whether or not the plane flies OK at a higher weight under benign flying conditions, you're still cutting into the designer-provided safety margin that may be nice to have when someday you end up in not-so-benign flying conditions.

Just my honest opinion, I would think twice about buying a plane that does not fit me and then try to change the paperwork to make it look like it fits me.
__________________
Steve M.
Ellensburg WA
RV-9 Flying, 0-320, Catto

Donation reminder: Jan. 2022
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Ironflight's Avatar
Ironflight Ironflight is offline
VAF Moderator / Line Boy
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dayton, NV
Posts: 12,457
Default

During the restoration of a certain little "early model" yellow RV, we realized that the airframe had gained weight over the years, and so had the prospective pilot population (including it's original pilot). Since we were during a complete re-licensing inspection, we checked with our DAR, and he asked to see some documentation from the designer that an increased Gross would be acceptable. So we had a discussion with said designer, and he allowed that if we restricted the airplane from aerobatics, we could safely bump the weight up. That's what we did, and with disciplined pilots, we have any problems.

The moral is - we didn't just arbitrarily set a new GW, we went back to the original designer and took a disciplined approach - I'd suggest the same to anyone wishing to do this - but then, I am an engineer, and like to see the numbers.
__________________
Paul F. Dye
Editor at Large - KITPLANES Magazine
RV-8 - N188PD - "Valkyrie"
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Mel's Avatar
Mel Mel is online now
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dallas area
Posts: 10,912
Default YEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
During the restoration of a certain little "early model" yellow RV, we realized that the airframe had gained weight over the years, and so had the prospective pilot population (including it's original pilot). Since we were during a complete re-licensing inspection, we checked with our DAR, and he asked to see some documentation from the designer that an increased Gross would be acceptable. So we had a discussion with said designer, and he allowed that if we restricted the airplane from aerobatics, we could safely bump the weight up. That's what we did, and with disciplined pilots, we have any problems.

The moral is - we didn't just arbitrarily set a new GW, we went back to the original designer and took a disciplined approach - I'd suggest the same to anyone wishing to do this - but then, I am an engineer, and like to see the numbers.
I was there and can verify this.
__________________
Mel Asberry, DAR since the last century. Over 1,000 certifications accomplished.
EAA Flight Advisor/Tech Counselor, Friend of the RV-1
Recipient of Tony Bingelis Award and Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-09-2014, 01:15 PM
DonFromTX's Avatar
DonFromTX DonFromTX is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: La Feria Texas
Posts: 3,822
Default

An exception to your statement may be the ELSA/SLSA GW figures. They are set to conform to LSA requirements, and are set by paperwork limits, not necessarily design limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinelakespilot2000 View Post
I'm a bit surprised by comments in this thread so far. Sure, one can (and many have) registered their aircraft with higher gross weights than the designer recommended. However, the designer's gross weight was not set willy-nilly. Whether or not the plane flies OK at a higher weight under benign flying conditions, you're still cutting into the designer-provided safety margin that may be nice to have when someday you end up in not-so-benign flying conditions.

Just my honest opinion, I would think twice about buying a plane that does not fit me and then try to change the paperwork to make it look like it fits me.
__________________
A&P, PP-SEL, Pathological Flier, EAA Technical Counselor
EAA Chapter 595 President,http://www.595.eaachapter.org/index.htm
Retired US Army Officer
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:35 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.