- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:25 PM

Default About to order

Its great to see 2 of the manufacturers posting. This thread has changed my mind about who I will order my kit from. Now I just have to decide on 2.. . This will be my first Kit. Going to build a 7QB. Starting with the toolbox kit. May do two of them and maybe progress to the other practice kit. I want the DRDT-2 and the pnuematic squeezer. Do Both Browns and Cleveland offer these ? How would I go about getting a quote from either of you ? I have some tools already: drills, Punches, regular river puller.. I think I can substitute or delete items from your basic kits but Im finding it difficult to do online.
-Saving to Buy flyng 6,7,or 9, A model
-Bought flying RV6A-2020
Old 11-19-2012, 06:35 PM

Both have pneumatic squeezers. Cleaveland has DRDT-2, but I couldn't find it on Brown website. Before investing in squeezer, give serious thought to the new hydro pneumatic system from Cleaveland, many advantages over conventional pneumatic squeezer.

http://www.cleavelandtool.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SHPS

As far as prices, I'm sure those would be posted on their respective websites.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:02 AM

Thumbs up Brown Tool Kit Can be CUSTOMIZED!

@ Jr Hampton,

Simply shoot me an e-mail with the list of items you want in your kit. Start with our basic RV kit and then let me know what you want deleted and what you want to add. We will adjust the price and discount accordingly and reply with a custom kit price. You can see our RV kit on our website here:
http://www.browntool.com/Default.asp...ProductID=2585

You can e-mail me directly at: Michael "at" BrownTool.com

Keep in mind that we offer free shipping for any prepaid order over $95 to ANY address in the USA (including Alaska, Hawaii, DC, & APO/FPO addresses).

I have heard nothing but good things about the DRDT-2, but we do not sell it. The manufacturer, Experimental Aero, sells and ships it direct, so there is no need to pay me to get involved with that transaction. In fact, if you order the DRDT-2 from one of the other tool suppliers, it is actually drop shipped directly from Experimental Aero. You can see their website here: http://www.experimentalaero.com/DRDT-2.htm According to their website, you can buy the DRDT-2 direct for $370.00 plus shipping.

Thanks!

Michael Brown
Brown Aviation Tool Supply Co.
Oklahoma City, OK
www.browntool.com
michael "at" browntool.com

Last edited by BrownTool : 11-20-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: updated price quote for DRDT-2
Old 11-20-2012, 02:46 PM

Not sure where you got $355 for the DRDT2 Mike. I see it as $370 on their website. Also, do you know what type of warranty they give on that? I don't see it mentioned on their website. Thanks
Old 11-20-2012, 03:00 PM

Default Brown Tool Kit

@ Diamond,

I think Experimental Aero must have updated their pricing this morning :-). Last night when I looked at their website, it showed a price of $355.

As for the warranty, you would need to contact them, as I do not represent or distribute their product line because they sell and ship it direct. With that being said, I have heard nothing but good things about the quality of the DRDT-2, by all accounts it is a well made, quality tool.

Michael Brown
Brown Aviation Tool Supply Co.
Oklahoma City, OK
www.browntool.com
michael "at" browntool.com
Old 11-21-2012, 08:40 AM

I replied privately, but a couple notes that may be of interest...

With the QB kit you will need about half of the clekos required for the full kit (-10 exempt). I don't believe you need the edge forming tool. The C-frame/DRDT is only used on the tail and one skin of the wings, so you may want to borrow that.
800-368-1822
www.CleavelandTool.com
mike.toolman (at) gmail.com

Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter - See on YouTube
Old 11-21-2012, 08:58 AM

Default Drill Bits & Reamers

You've got to have drill bits and reamers to do this work, and several different sizes. Chances are several will come with whatever kit you buy, but research it and add if necessary. You can always buy them later, but sure is convenient to have what you need when you need it. Below is some info I've been collecting from various posts -- have this taped to the wall in my shop.

-AN3 bolt (nominal 3/16" -- 0.186-0.189)
-> drill #13 (0.185) and ream #12 (0.189)

-AN4 bolt (nominal 1/4" -- 0.246-0.249)
-> drill #C (0.242) and ream 1/4 (0.250)

-AN5 bolt (nominal 5/16" -- 0.309-0.312)
-> drill #N (0.302) and ream 5/16 (0.3125)

Universal (button) head rivets and Flush head rivets (countersunk surface):
-3 rivets use a #40 drill bit
-4 rivets use a #30 drill bit

Flush head rivets (dimpled surface):
-3 rivets use a #41 drill bit and 3/32" dimple die
-4 rivets use a 1/8" drill bit and 1/8" dimple die

Flush screws (countersunk surface):
#6 screws use a #28 drill bit
#8 screws use a #19 drill bit (or #18 to avoid cracks)
#10 screws use a #11 drill bit

Flush screws (dimpled surface):
#6 screws use a #29 drill bit and a #6 screw dimple die (no substitute)
#8 screws use a #20 drill bit and a #8 screw dimple die (5/32" dimple die is a close substitute)
#10 screws use a #12 drill bit and a #10 screw dimple die (3/16" dimple die is a close substitute)

#40 drill bit for all -3 rivets (426 and 470)
#30 Drill bit for all -4 rivets (426 and 470)
#28 drill bit for #6 screws
#19 drill bit for #8 screws
#12 drill bit for#10 screws

The advice to ensure the #8 and #10 holes are well deburred before dimpling is spot on.

RV-7A
Old 11-21-2012, 12:39 PM

Default About to order

Thanks to both companies for replying. It's good to know both have excellent customer service. Excited to get started finally. Guess it's approaching time to join EAA and pay me dues here as Im sure im going to be using the board here A LOT.
-Saving to Buy flyng 6,7,or 9, A model
-Bought flying RV6A-2020
Old 11-22-2012, 09:28 AM

If the hydro pneumatic squeezers is the way to go, then should you also invest in the hydro pneumatic DRDT power head? The intensifier could be used for both tools. COrrect? Plus you don't use both tools at the same time. Correct? Am I missing something?

I plan to slow build an RV-10.

The squeezer looks much lighter than the regular squeezer. The dimpler would be much quieter and save on the repetitive nature of dimpling. Much easier on the joints.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:27 PM

This was discussed awhile back on another thread, but I don't recall what the verdict was on using one intensifier for two tools. If you remove the hose when you change tools, it introduces a small amount of air into the system. This air needs to be bled off occasionally. As the whether you can plumb two lines from the same intensifier? Maybe someone else can chime in on that.