- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-10-2021, 10:51 AM

Default XCruze autopilot

Got the ok from the boss to install an autopilot in the airplane....getting old and it will make life easier.
Wondering if anyone has experience with interfacing the G5 with a Bendix-King xCruze autopilot? I have a G5 PFD but no intention of fitting another as an HSI. Iím strictly VFR.
From what I have read, this is all doable.

Regards and thanks.

Membership due Oct., 2021
RV-4 0-360-188 Catto 3-blade C-FTDQ...
Old 01-10-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777Dave View Post
Got the ok from the boss to install an autopilot in the airplane....getting old and it will make life easier.
Wondering if anyone has experience with interfacing the G5 with a Bendix-King xCruze autopilot? I have a G5 PFD but no intention of fitting another as an HSI. Iím strictly VFR.
From what I have read, this is all doable.

Regards and thanks.
Hi Dave,

Just a quick mention that you already have the heart (G5) of the greatest autopilot you could install in your plane. Just add a couple of servos and the GMC 507.

There is absolutely no better autopilot interface than the mode readout with flight director on the G5 and the great buttons/knobs on the GMC 507. You would give up all of that if you add a 3rd party autopilot.

If you add a Garmin portable navigator like the Aera 660/760, you can enter a route or direct-to and fly autopilot coupled anywhere in the country including autopilot coupled VNAV descents to pattern altitude at the destination airport.

Steve

Last edited by Longez : 01-10-2021 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:40 PM

Default Garmin

I had a quick look at the Garmin and will definitely investigate further. Indeed the G5 is a fantastic instrument. Thanks for this.

Old 01-11-2021, 10:06 AM

I was in the same position (VFR only RV-4 with a G5) and got the same advice -- go with the Garmin solution -- when I asked about the xCruze.

The dealbreaker for me is that the Garmin GMC 507 A/P control head is enormous, and I couldn't fit it anywhere in my panel. The xCruze only needs a free 2 1/4" hole.

In the end I went with the xCruze and it's been rock solid so far. And the price is right! Lead time was a little long but nothing drastic.

One difference with you is that I wasn't bothered about integrating it with the G5; I have mine wired via RS-232 into my Aera 660 for navigation and that's plenty. If you want to connect it to the G5 for automatic altimeter setting etc you'll need a Garmin GAD29 ARINC converter, which adds another $700 to your build price. But it's very possible.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:51 PM

Default Size matters...sometimes

Both very valid points! I just redid my panel. And now have more room so the 507 unit will fit if I want. I didnít have one square inch on the old panel.
From what I can see the price is not a factor either way.
Any comment regarding the servos? It appears the Garmin servos have a clutch and TT uses a shear pin.

Old 01-11-2021, 04:08 PM

Default TruTrak

I would say that the most notable difference is that with the TruTrak, it is a completely stand-alone system which can interface with the G5...but does not require the G5 to operate. This would give you some additional safety and redundancy.

Ultimately, both autopilot systems will fly the aircraft well and should give you years of service.

You are welcome to contact me directly if you have anymore questions about the TruTrak!

Andrew.barker(at)honeywell.com
www.BendixKing.com
TruTrak

RV-4 214NY "Carrie Ann"
RV-10 989TS - undergoing complete overhaul!!!
Always flying someone else's airplane too
EAA - 309420
Old 01-11-2021, 05:48 PM

Default Wait, Did I read this correctly?

Wait: If I am reading this thread correctly it implies that since I already have the G5 installed in my RV9A I just need to purchase the GMC 507 and two Servo's for a combined cost of $2600 plus some cabling, mounting brackets / Rods Etc and the LABOR to install and I will have 2 Axis Autopilot ? Did I miss anything? Looks like the way to go for me !
Old 01-11-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N40ES View Post
Wait: If I am reading this thread correctly it implies that since I already have the G5 installed in my RV9A I just need to purchase the GMC 507 and two Servo's for a combined cost of $2600 plus some cabling, mounting brackets / Rods Etc and the LABOR to install and I will have 2 Axis Autopilot ? Did I miss anything? Looks like the way to go for me !
Hi N40ES,

Yes, that is correct. With your G5 already installed, you just need to add GSA 28 pitch/roll servos, RV-9A pitch/roll servo install kits, and the GMC 507 autopilot control panel.

If you have 2 G5 units installed, you have a complete backup for the primary G5 unit. In the unlikely event that a problem develops with the G5 PFD, just turn it off, and re-engage the autopilot using the G5 HSI (which becomes the PFD with flight director and lateral/vertical deviation bars).

If you ever decide you want to add an IFR navigator like the GPS 175, GNC 355, or GNX 375, just add a GAD 29 and the IFR navigator of choice and fly every route, SID, STAR, Approach, and Missed Approach autopilot coupled.

Steve
Old 01-11-2021, 07:12 PM

Default GMC305

Quote:
Originally Posted by N40ES View Post
There is another option for the Garmin control head: the GMC305 is about $380 less than the GMC507, though you may want to spend more for the GMC507 extra knobs and buttons.
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 01-22-2021, 12:51 PM

Default xCruze 110 Auto-Pilots

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruTrakAndrew View Post
I would say that the most notable difference is that with the TruTrak, it is a completely stand-alone system which can interface with the G5...but does not require the G5 to operate. This would give you some additional safety and redundancy.

Ultimately, both autopilot systems will fly the aircraft well and should give you years of service.

You are welcome to contact me directly if you have anymore questions about the TruTrak!

Andrew.barker(at)honeywell.com
Hey Andrew,
I see you fly a 4 as well..wonderful plane and not sure if it should have an auto-pilot but on those Oshkosh trips from the west coast it would be nice. I called Bendix-King this week and got a Honeywell guy who didnít know anything about the xCruze Auto-Pilots. I just wanted to know what the availability and lead times are for the xCruze 110. Spruce has no stock of any of the xCruze line. Are they all special order ? Just a quick update would be helpful.