Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-30-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheari View Post
My advice about priming is this: Make the decision for yourself. Donít let anyone else talk you into priming. It adds a lot of tedious work to the build. If you prime, there will be times when you curse whoever talked you into it. You will end up happy at the end, but you could lose some friends along the way.

For what itís worth, I chose to prime with Stewart Systems EkoPrime and I am very happy with the results. Even if I sometimes say bad things about the friend who talked me into priming.
It almost seem you are trying to talking him into it

I will just share my experience and you can decide on your own. I did not prime on my first build but primed on the second build using the Akzo primer. The process does add some additional effort but it was not a drastic effort. The primer goes on really easy and it is super durable.

If I build again, I will prime again. It does give me that ease of mind that the plane will far less likely be subject to corrosion but it does add a bit of weight to the build.
Dues paid
Old 11-30-2020, 08:35 PM

Default Priming

Feel free to read my Paint page on my blog. I didn't think it was all that much more work to prime. Certainly less work than Alodine. More work than bare aluminum.
Like the ma said. You decide.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:02 PM

I'm 609 hours into my build (doing my fuel tanks now), and I have 68 hours of prep / priming time.

So i think you can say 10% more time for priming as an estimate.

My process is using Stewart Systems EkoPoxy - which involves a clean with their cleaner, then an acid etch and mechanical scrub, then drying and 2 part spraying.
http://www.tasrv14.blogspot.com.au/
Aug 2021
Old 11-30-2020, 11:28 PM

I have a 68 year old Cessna 195. No interior primer and no corrosion. It has lived most of its life in upstate NY, 15 years in Alaska, 10 years in Tulsa and the last 6 with me. I spray it with ACF-50 every year and fly it often.

If you decide to not prime your aircraft interior parts, it will still out live you. Even if you take it to visit the beach from time to time.
2020 dues paid
Old 11-30-2020, 11:41 PM

Default EkoPrime

Another +1 for Stewart systems EkoPrme. The only drawback is that it leaves a yellow dust in every nook and cranny in the garage.
RV-9A Flying 340 hours!
Last Donation: December 2020
Old 12-01-2020, 12:20 AM

I'm very early into the build, and spent considerable time pondering and stressing about the decision to prime. I spoke with my EAA chapter members who had previously built without prime, and many years later their aircraft look like new.

Then I contacted a couple of paint shops (aircraft). I explained that I was pondering priming using a 2-part epoxy. As painters, they loved that idea and felt that it would provide the most protection (albeit add time, weight and money).

I initially settled in the middle of the road with the Sherwin Williams wash prime that Van's uses. I figured that if it's good enough for Vans, it's good enough for me. Their test piece that they reference didn't hurt the decision.

After priming the vertical stabilizer and rudder stiffeners/shear clips, I realized a couple of things... I am not a painter. Like, I would have been better off with fingerpaints. While priming did add a bit of extra time, the problem that I had is a lack of a paint booth. I'm sharing the workshop/hangar with a friend who has a beautiful Beech A36 that he's pretty fond of. Chicago weather isn't conducive to painting outside, especially in the winter.

After beginning with the wash prime, I've elected to forgo the primer on my build. If I had a spray booth, I'd probably sling some wash prime on just for the peace of mind. But in my situation/location, I'm confident that the aircraft will outlive at least me, and probably my son.

But as others have said, don't let anyone talk you into or out of priming. It's your own decision. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with priming if you have the capabilities and facilities to do so. I have neither, and am fine motoring forward without.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:42 AM

My "paint booth" setup. I cut down the Van's empennage crate. I figure this is why it's so big. I attached a couple 6" vents to the bottom and have those running to a 6" forced air duct fan. The exhaust passes through a filter box I made using a cheap replaceable furnace filter and it vented to outside the garage door. When it's running, it does a decent job of keeping everything contained. I also spray wearing a respirator.

The tent itself is a portable paint booth from Lee Valley.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...spray-shelters

You can pick one up when you buy your Mix Mates:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...int-and-finish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paintbooth.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	887.7 KB
ID:	5271  
Old 12-01-2020, 08:50 AM

Alcad 2024-T3 is fine without being primed. The biggest advantage to priming internally is resale.
If it's not primed, the prospective purchaser has a bargaining tool.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 12-01-2020, 09:18 AM

Default Paint booth

I primed at 7,500' throuh the dead of Winter with no paint booth. Not saying you should or shouldn't prime, but a paint booth is optional. Just offering alternate options.
I set everything up, run parts outside, spray, run back in. On super cold days, like below freezing, I fabricated a temp booth using old shower curtains. 3/4" conduit sections were suspended from the garage frames. Very handy fir all sorts of stuff. Curtain booth sets up in minutes. A 4" wall dryer vent is connected to a hose and bildge blower for exhaust. Wife gets new shower curtains so she's happy!
All my interior and exterior paints were also sprayed this way. Either outside or in the shower curtain booth.

Ask asyone who's seen my airplane if they can tell.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stigaro View Post
My "paint booth" setup. I cut down the Van's empennage crate. I figure this is why it's so big. I attached a couple 6" vents to the bottom and have those running to a 6" forced air duct fan. The exhaust passes through a filter box I made using a cheap replaceable furnace filter and it vented to outside the garage door. When it's running, it does a decent job of keeping everything contained. I also spray wearing a respirator.

The tent itself is a portable paint booth from Lee Valley.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...spray-shelters

You can pick one up when you buy your Mix Mates:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...int-and-finish
Would you have a close up picture of your crate showing how you rigged the fan and vents?

Thanks
ATP, CFI/II/MEI