-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-02-2020, 01:42 PM

Default EI cpu power supply distribution ?

There is tons of discussion and thoughtful variants on how best to power EI CPU's for the most reliable safe options. Examples include :

Battery (#1 & #2 ) direct to separate engine busses independent of master relay.

An "engine buss" that powers both CPU's, supplied from the master relay AND a second battery through a Shottkey for isolation.

Comments appreciated regarding best option to assure the prop keeps turning for a while when something hits the fan ?
Clinton, IN

Last edited by Larry DeCamp : 11-02-2020 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 02:33 PM

Here is how John Bright did it. I worked with him to modify mine with a VP-X and E bus. Dual alternator and single battery.

This info, plus more, is in johnís signature block.

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobil...13&direction=a

Here is a dual battery, single alternator with single engine bus from aero electric. This is a preliminary drawing and hasnít been finalized by Bob Nuckolls yet.

http://www.aeroelectric.com/PPS/Adob...fs/Z102Ap1.pdf
2020 dues paid
Old 11-02-2020, 02:43 PM

On my 10, with two EIs, I have two batteries and two master solenoids feeding the main buss. Have a switch for L/R/both. Also have two distinct 10 amp relays that feed my ignition buss. Also a switch for L/R/both. Same for the avionics buss, but 30 amp relay. SP3T switches can be wired such that the move from L or R to both does not "break" the connection during the movement.

In case of major problems, can kill both the master buss and the avionics buss without impacting ignition. Can also isolate one battery just for ignition. The 18 ah battery will run my ignition for over 3 hours.

I would never supply the ignition downstream of the master relay, as it can fail, if not redundant, and also needs to be shut off in case of an electrical fire. You want to be able to kill everything BUT the ignition in case of an elec fire. A pullable breaker, or the relay in my case, can kill the ignition power if it is determined that is where the fire is coming from and you choose that the fire is worse than no engine, though it is likely not working if it is on fire.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 11-02-2020 at 02:57 PM.