VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

  #11  
Old 10-13-2020, 10:33 AM
scrollF4's Avatar
scrollF4 scrollF4 is offline
Moderator, Asst. Line Boy
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Flower Mound, TX
Posts: 1,541
Default

Nor should you. Like any builder/owner/pilot, you must make your own decisions on what is or isn’t acceptable for IFR (outside of FAR requirements). That’s not EarthX’s decision.

However, like Kathy clearly pointed out, your specific fault was with one of the two BMS cards. If the other BMS also failed (a dual BMS failure has never happened) you would STILL have an operational battery. You can still start the engine (although I don’t know why you’d have that need while airborne in IFR...that sounds like a totally different aircraft system problem).

And yes, when in doubt, do land the plane.

Look, nobody doubts your established credentials as a senior pilot. It appears, though, that you are the classic gajillion-hour older wiser pilot who distrusts new technology. This tech might not be the right answer for you. With respect, maybe you should just get a simpler older-tech battery and sleep better.
__________________
Scroll

Sid "Scroll" Mayeux, Col, USAF (ret)
52F NW Regional/Aero Valley Airport, Roanoke TX (home of DR's Van Cave)
"KELLI GIRL" N260KM RV-7A tipper
Catch her on YouTube's "Because I Fly!" channel

Exemption waived.
Proud and grateful 2021 -=VAF=- Contributor

PS: I am not an influencer. I have no influence. Just ask my kids.

Last edited by scrollF4 : 10-13-2020 at 10:44 AM.
  #12  
Old 10-13-2020, 11:35 AM
Foghorn's Avatar
Foghorn Foghorn is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 175
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrollF4 View Post
Nor should you. Like any builder/owner/pilot, you must make your own decisions on what is or isn’t acceptable for IFR (outside of FAR requirements). That’s not EarthX’s decision.

However, like Kathy clearly pointed out, your specific fault was with one of the two BMS cards. If the other BMS also failed (a dual BMS failure has never happened) you would STILL have an operational battery. You can still start the engine (although I don’t know why you’d have that need while airborne in IFR...that sounds like a totally different aircraft system problem).

And yes, when in doubt, do land the plane.

Look, nobody doubts your established credentials as a senior pilot. It appears, though, that you are the classic gajillion-hour older wiser pilot who distrusts new technology. This tech might not be the right answer for you. With respect, maybe you should just get a simpler older-tech battery and sleep better.
What Scroll said.
__________________
Jeff Parker
RV8 Fastback - Building (N767TS)
C195 - Flying (N4469C)
2020 dues paid
  #13  
Old 10-13-2020, 01:08 PM
Tankerpilot75's Avatar
Tankerpilot75 Tankerpilot75 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrollF4 View Post
I have that chart printed and posted on the back cover of my POH for quick and "factual" reference. I also study it (like the rest of my POH) so I know when not to over-react over a red solid or blinking LED.
I also added this chart to my POH in the “Equipment Section” but here is my issue. I print a PDF copy of my POH and keep it in “Books “ on the iPad. I went to the EarthX website and tried to copy their chart for inserting in my “Word” POH file and their on line document wouldn’t allow “copy and paste.” I therefore had to recreate the chart in Excel and then “copy and paste” it into my Word POH file. What a royal pain in the a**!

Since this is such an important chart (along with their charts on “discharge curve” for identifying how long your battery should last if you’re suffering an inflight electrical system failure) I would like to see EarthX put these charts out there in a format that people can copy for POH purposes. Having a good PDF version of the POH on the iPad saves me from having to carry a hard copy (weight and space being a concern) and provides quick inflight access when needed. It also makes updates easier.
__________________
Jim Harris, ATP, T38, EC/KC-135A/E/R, 2008 RV7A, 2nd owner, N523RM (2015)
Superior XPIO-360, Hartzel CS prop, Aerotronics panel with Dual GRT Horizon WS, EIS, Garmin 340, 335 w/WAAS gps, Dual 430s (non-WAAS), TruTrak 385 A/P with auto-level, Electric trim, Tosten 6 button Military Grips, FlightBox wired to WS, Dynon D10A w/battery backup, 406 MHz ELT. Custom Interior, New TS Flightline hoses, Great POH!
Retired - Living the dream - going broke!
  #14  
Old 10-13-2020, 01:20 PM
EarthX Lithium EarthX Lithium is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Windsor, CO
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankerpilot75 View Post
I also added this chart to my POH in the “Equipment Section” but here is my issue. I print a PDF copy of my POH and keep it in “Books “ on the iPad. I went to the EarthX website and tried to copy their chart for inserting in my “Word” POH file and their on line document wouldn’t allow “copy and paste.” I therefore had to recreate the chart in Excel and then “copy and paste” it into my Word POH file. What a royal pain in the a**!

Since this is such an important chart (along with their charts on “discharge curve” for identifying how long your battery should last if you’re suffering an inflight electrical system failure) I would like to see EarthX put these charts out there in a format that people can copy for POH purposes. Having a good PDF version of the POH on the iPad saves me from having to carry a hard copy (weight and space being a concern) and provides quick inflight access when needed. It also makes updates easier.

Hi Jim,

I am so sorry for the effort you had to put into getting this chart in a format you needed. Had you contacted us, it would have taken me 20 seconds to send you a word version for you, which I gladly would have done. Contact info: sales@earthxbatteries.com
__________________
Fly Lightly,

Kathy
  #15  
Old 10-13-2020, 01:48 PM
scrollF4's Avatar
scrollF4 scrollF4 is offline
Moderator, Asst. Line Boy
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Flower Mound, TX
Posts: 1,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankerpilot75 View Post
I would like to see EarthX put these charts out there in a format that people can copy for POH purposes. Having a good PDF version of the POH on the iPad saves me from having to carry a hard copy (weight and space being a concern) and provides quick inflight access when needed. It also makes updates easier.
Jim,
Here's the link to the ETX manual:
https://earthxbatteries.com/wp-conte...l_111017_Y.pdf

I saved that pdf file to my home computer downloads, then emailed it to myself and opened THAT attachment on iPad. There, I saved it to my iPad files. Almost as easy as (now) posting photos to VAF.
__________________
Scroll

Sid "Scroll" Mayeux, Col, USAF (ret)
52F NW Regional/Aero Valley Airport, Roanoke TX (home of DR's Van Cave)
"KELLI GIRL" N260KM RV-7A tipper
Catch her on YouTube's "Because I Fly!" channel

Exemption waived.
Proud and grateful 2021 -=VAF=- Contributor

PS: I am not an influencer. I have no influence. Just ask my kids.
  #16  
Old 10-13-2020, 03:03 PM
rv6n6r's Avatar
rv6n6r rv6n6r is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gearhart Oregon
Posts: 293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpilot View Post
I've flown over 1 million passengers safely to their destination, don't plan to sully that record.
Ha ha sully -- pun intended?
__________________
Randall Henderson
RV-6 / O-360 / CS, 1500+ hrs, 1st flight Sept. 1999
Outstanding Workmanship OSH 2000
Airport committee chair & ASNV for Seaside, OR Municipal (56S), www.seasideairport.org
Donated August 2020
  #17  
Old 10-14-2020, 06:36 AM
rockbottom rockbottom is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fayetteville, GA
Posts: 49
Default Replacement battery?

Calpilot,

You stated that you replaced the faulted battery with an Odyssey, but then in a subsequent post, you reported that EarthX was sending you a replacement battery. If you don’t mind me asking, which battery did you ultimately decide on and why?

Thanks for reporting your experience with one of their batteries. I have an EarthX battery in my 8 and so far, have had no issues, but anytime someone posts a problem with one it grabs my attention and forces me to review and ensure I’ve followed EarthX’s recommendations.

Regards,
J Baker
  #18  
Old 10-14-2020, 11:57 AM
calpilot calpilot is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Independence
Posts: 82
Default

I think you missed my point. When there is a failure of the type I encountered last week, there is an EFIS warning that "som ting wong". Yes, the battery can still function normally. HOWEVER... should the other half of the "control brain" become disinterested in further toil, once the aircraft is on the ground, that is where it is going to stay until a replacement battery can be installed. This may be impossible on a weekend or in an out of the way or backcountry airstrip. The other side of the equation is that following the battery warning, it will not heal itself, the indicator warning light will stay on until the battery is totally discharged or fails. I don't continue to fly aircraft with a known failure. Now, I am not knocking the idea of a lighter and reliable battery as the Lithium Ion, quite the contrary, I am an avid proponent of new technology. However, when a conventional low maintenance battery is catching cold, it gives us some indication all is not well, sluggish starting, low voltage, etc. We know it is time to replace it, usually around 5 years or so. With the warning light on the Earthx on, we have no idea if or when the other shoe will drop. I was looking forward to flying the 787 up to retirement, but the issues with the batteries delayed the delivery for about 24 months, and I pulled the pin, enjoying the heck out of retirement, being around experimental aviation, and the wonderful people I meet and products I see in the process.

Regards,

G.
  #19  
Old 10-14-2020, 12:26 PM
scrollF4's Avatar
scrollF4 scrollF4 is offline
Moderator, Asst. Line Boy
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Flower Mound, TX
Posts: 1,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpilot View Post
I think you missed my point. When there is a failure of the type I encountered last week, there is an EFIS warning that "som ting wong". Yes, the battery can still function normally. HOWEVER... should the other half of the "control brain" become disinterested in further toil, once the aircraft is on the ground, that is where it is going to stay until a replacement battery can be installed. This may be impossible on a weekend or in an out of the way or backcountry airstrip. The other side of the equation is that following the battery warning, it will not heal itself, the indicator warning light will stay on until the battery is totally discharged or fails. I don't continue to fly aircraft with a known failure. Now, I am not knocking the idea of a lighter and reliable battery as the Lithium Ion, quite the contrary, I am an avid proponent of new technology. However, when a conventional low maintenance battery is catching cold, it gives us some indication all is not well, sluggish starting, low voltage, etc. We know it is time to replace it, usually around 5 years or so. With the warning light on the Earthx on, we have no idea if or when the other shoe will drop. I was looking forward to flying the 787 up to retirement, but the issues with the batteries delayed the delivery for about 24 months, and I pulled the pin, enjoying the heck out of retirement, being around experimental aviation, and the wonderful people I meet and products I see in the process.

Regards,

G.
Good news, Gary.
Your EarthX Lithium Iron Phosphate battery (not "lithium ion") will not strand you if it has a solid LED unless you remain there well over a month, nearly two.

Per the EarthX owners manual, the ETX680's run capacity is 12.4 amp hours at 1 degree C. The LED draws only 0.01 amps. At that rate, the LED will drain the battery in 1240 hours. Call it 1000 hours, well over a month's time.

Since your battery still had a good BMS, and since the battery still functions even if both BMS cards die (again, never happened before), your problem would not have stranded you.

If you can't find a replacement battery (which I do agree is the best plan), at least your battery would have still gotten you out of the back woods and back to civilization.

Another great reason to love the EarthX.
__________________
Scroll

Sid "Scroll" Mayeux, Col, USAF (ret)
52F NW Regional/Aero Valley Airport, Roanoke TX (home of DR's Van Cave)
"KELLI GIRL" N260KM RV-7A tipper
Catch her on YouTube's "Because I Fly!" channel

Exemption waived.
Proud and grateful 2021 -=VAF=- Contributor

PS: I am not an influencer. I have no influence. Just ask my kids.
  #20  
Old 10-14-2020, 12:30 PM
cderk's Avatar
cderk cderk is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Park Ridge, NJ
Posts: 693
Default

I’m not an electrical genius by any stretch of the imagination. When I see posts like this, it stresses me out. I have an EarthX battery in my aircraft. Charging of the EarthX battery is done via my alternator when the plane is running. Alternators are the same as they were BEFORE these new batteries. The alternator does not have any smarts in it to know its charging an EarthX battery, so why does a battery charger need them? Is my EarthX battery going to fail because I have it hooked up to an alternator designed to charge lead acid batteries?
__________________
RV10
First Flight Apr 6, 2020
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:10 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.