Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larosta View Post
Would a used King KT76 or KT76a with an altitude encoder work. Looks like a lot of these will be available for a couple of hundred dollars as aircraft are upgraded to Mode S installations. It would give you a mode C (978 MHz) transponder. At a later point you could add one of the 978UAT ADS-B out solutions like the uAvionix or Garmin GDL82.

Put the FAA rebate on this and you are 2020 compliant for around 1
$1500. At some point pick up a spare KT76 and you are good to go for several years.

-larosta
This is one solution and could be an upgrade path for me, as I have one of the King KT76A's in my airplane. The downside is that an add-on 978UAT would be a halfway step (basing the system on an obsolete transponder) and wouldn't provide ADSB in.

The good side of a 978UAT solution is that most of them (all of them?) have an anonymous mode if you don't want people to track your N-number. For whatever reason, the idea of my personal exact whereabouts being broadcast to the world isn't something I like.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 11-02-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
...I need to do more homework!

I have 2 airplanes that need ADS-B

RV-8 has a GNS430 (non WAAS) and a GTX330 (Non ES);
Rocket has GTN650 and a GTX327

Sounds like I can upgrade the 330 to an ES and toss it in the Rocket and that ones good. The 327 goes in the -8 and I use an add on UAT device to satisfy THAT bird.

I guess the current rebate will defray some of the 330 rework cost?
Michael, a couple of points, if I may?

1) the RV8 will need an approved position source. Upgrading the 430 to 430W is an expensive path. Consider, rather, selling the 430 and installing an Avidyne IFD440 in the same tray. A bit more money to get a brand new GPS with a better user interface

2) the 330 is a different form factor than the 327. Check available depth behind the 327 tray as the 330 is longer which might make this swap a bit of a challenge from a mechanical standpoing.

While the upgrade of the 330 is a relatively inexpensive thing to do since you already own the 330, the other costs of the 330 are significant to others who may be considering installing a 330. It's heavy, power-hungry and takes up a fair bit of panel space. For some who don't already have a 330 in their panel, consider other options such as the Trig TT22.

For those with a KT76 that might be of dubious longevity, it's worthwhile to look at the Trig slide-in replacement transponder, the TT31. With an appropriate position source you could easily be 2020 compliant and have a solid solution based on Mode S-ES.

As for position sources, even those folks with a straight GNS430 might want to consider a less-expensive solution like GRT's SafeFly GPS module. At $500 it's a lot cheaper than a WAAS upgrade on a 430.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:11 PM

Default Question for Canadian Joy

When you write that the 330 is power hungry, can you please tell me how many amps? Thanks
Old 11-02-2018, 04:11 PM

Default Easy ADS-B out

If you own a GTX327 then the purchase of a GDL82 for $1800 is all you need.
The GDL82 contains the required WASS GPS and is simply installed between the GTX327 RF cable and the antenna. Then there's a power, a ground, and a serial to you altitude encoder source and you're done. Four wires!

I installed one in a friends RV-8. It was easy and strait forward. The GDL82 will work with other mode C transponders as well.
Christen Inverted Oil
First Flight 12 July 2000
VAF Dues current for 2021
Old 11-02-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post

For those with a KT76 that might be of dubious longevity, it's worthwhile to look at the Trig slide-in replacement transponder, the TT31. With an appropriate position source you could easily be 2020 compliant and have a solid solution based on Mode S-ES.
Does this solution retain an anonymous mode?

Would one of the $500 GPS pucks from GRT or others serve as a GPS source?
2019(?) RV-10
Old 11-02-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
Does this solution retain an anonymous mode?

Would one of the $500 GPS pucks from GRT or others serve as a GPS source?
Yes, the $500 GRT GPS source is compatible with these transponders.
As these are mode S-ES transponders, not UAT, they do not have an anonymous mode. But you can go over 18,000? with them!
Honestly, I think the anonymous mode is over-sold. It?s only a matter of time before some web site like liveATC.com links your n number transmission at takeoff with your ADSB out fake number.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:15 PM

Default OP - Whats a decent used transponder that can be upgraded to ADSB Out?

This has become an interesting and informative thread. I am not sure that we have provided the information that Gary was looking for in his original post. I was under the impression that he was looking for an inexpensive transponder that he could install in the near term that still had the capability to be upgraded to ADS-B in the future. There are probably several budget minded builders out there that are looking for something along these lines. By the same token there are probably several persons here that have/are upgrading a KT76(a) installation that would be willing to sell Gary a working / used transponder for a very low price. I may be there myself in a few months.

We may have drifted a few degrees away from that.

- larosta

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndwarrior View Post
I don't have a glass panel, basic steam gages only. I want to buy a used transponder that I can later connect to in ADSB out system.

Can someone recommend a decent used transponder that would have this capability?

TIA
Gary
Old 11-02-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
Or a brand new Stratus ESG transponder that includes the WAAS GPS and the ability to fly in any airspace.
This is probably the lowest cost solution. RST engineering has a very good deal on these if you're an EAA member. Closer to $2k than $3k. I'm pretty sure it includes ADSB out too.

The only downside is there is no anonymous mode...
2019(?) RV-10
Old 11-02-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larosta View Post
This has become an interesting and informative thread. I am not sure that we have provided the information that Gary was looking for in his original post.

- larosta
The answer to the OP's question probably lies in a KT-76 plus something from uavionix. The downside is that for a few hundred dollars more (in total), you can get something more modern and more integrated from Stratus or other vendors.
2019(?) RV-10

Last edited by Kyle Boatright : 11-02-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
Michael, a couple of points, if I may?

1) the RV8 will need an approved position source. Upgrading the 430 to 430W is an expensive path. Consider, rather, selling the 430 and installing an Avidyne IFD440 in the same tray. A bit more money to get a brand new GPS with a better user interface

2) the 330 is a different form factor than the 327. Check available depth behind the 327 tray as the 330 is longer which might make this swap a bit of a challenge from a mechanical standpoing.

While the upgrade of the 330 is a relatively inexpensive thing to do since you already own the 330, the other costs of the 330 are significant to others who may be considering installing a 330. It's heavy, power-hungry and takes up a fair bit of panel space. For some who don't already have a 330 in their panel, consider other options such as the Trig TT22.

As for position sources, even those folks with a straight GNS430 might want to consider a less-expensive solution like GRT's SafeFly GPS module. At $500 it's a lot cheaper than a WAAS upgrade on a 430.

Appreciate the comments. The Rocket has plenty of room to accept the 330 from the -8. Looks like $1500 for the ES upgrade and I'll get ADS-B out compliance AND the slight benefit of TIS-A through the 650.

The -8 can use the Rocket's 327 and a new GDL-82 providing the position source and other magic to make that compliant. Not planning on the eye watering price for the WAAS upgrade for the 430 for this round.

Now I have to figure out the ADS-B solution for my latest project which cruises well into the flight levels. It has a KT-76A and an ancient SL-60...

Good thing the Taylorcraft doesn't have a generator!
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C