Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 12:32 PM

I have looked at both the wing and tail models of the uAvionix and have wondered about the potential for theft. Granted they are registered with the manufacturer and once installed the FAA so they are probably of little value to anyone but the valid owner. But but other than faith in the goodness of others, what prevents these expensive units and seemingly valuable devices from being removed in a few seconds for sale on eBay or Craig’s list to the unwitting buyer. Security screws or fixtures, lanyard to structure?

-larosta
Old 08-16-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larosta View Post
I have looked at both the wing and tail models of the uAvionix and have wondered about the potential for theft. Granted they are registered with the manufacturer and once installed the FAA so they are probably of little value to anyone but the valid owner. But but other than faith in the goodness of others, what prevents these expensive units and seemingly valuable devices from being removed in a few seconds for sale on eBay or Craig?s list to the unwitting buyer. Security screws or fixtures, lanyard to structure?

-larosta
Technical and FAA procedural question, if the uAvionix is reprogrammed with a new N-number and S-code would the FAA receivers know/track/report as stolen the original unit?

I?d be interested in how often GA/Experimental equipment thefts occur these days. Since reading items about pried open - locked canopy damage (damage and downtime worry me) there is a good argument to not lock up, just cover up stuff.

Are there experimental airplane-savvy thieves and stolen merchandise customers out there??? The bad bad guys are smashing vehicles into storefronts to steal ATMs, drugs, and guns...

Maybe a separate thread....

Carl

RV7A - purchased flying 05/2020
RV6A - purchased flying 07/2011, for sale 1/2021
Old 08-16-2018, 04:08 PM

I know a guy who owns an allen wrench. That means if he was inclined to, he could have a trunk full of avionics worth more than his house in just minutes. I don't lay awake worrying about him. Now, hail storms..... those worry me.

exemption option waived. Donation appropriate.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:12 PM

This is the reason I don't have a lockable canopy on my plane. If someone wants my avionics they will find a way to take them - either opening the canopy or breaking it. Either way my insurance company will buy me new avionics quickly - so it's my choice whether or not I want to rebuild the canopy.

You can't worry about everything in life, it will just kill you sooner. Buy insurance and fly the plane, the rest will sort itself out.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:20 PM

I am still contemplating options on ADSB in. The tailbeacon looks like an option but the panel mounted Transponders have come down in price and I am still wondering about side by side comparisons.

Pros and cons of each.

Keep the reviews coming gang.

At present I have a bendix king KT76C
Old 08-18-2018, 03:15 PM

Do you have an EFIS? If yes, does it support "IN"? Your "In" may be best displayed there, if possible.

Most any compatible ADSB in device with both 1090mhz and 978mhz reception for $200 to $1000 will work.

Having had a Dual 170 GPS with only 978 input and no ADSB out, it was only "good"for weather.

The KT-76C is now disposable. Mine died that came with my plane, vacuum cavity with a pretty digital face. A replacement still needs a check if you install another one. $200 for the "new" one, likely a KT-76A and $200 ish for the check.

No EFIS, the new adsb out transponders look better if they display the "IN" traffic and weather as well as wifi/bluetooth to any other portable display device.

My current "in" is an ebay $160 used Skyradar DX 1090/978- it feeds my GRT EFIS via USB hub and portable devices via wifi.

My "out" will likely be a Skybeacon, my transponder is also a KT76A, same tray as your C, was $400 a few years ago, cheaper now. If it died today, I would go post your same topic with the price gap closure options so changed, myself.

The big technical decision is do you want to be seen directly on other planes' 1090mhz aircraft to aircraft streams? A UAT ADSB-out on 978 mhz like the Skybeacon must hit an ADSB ground station antenna to be processed and retransmitted, then you can be seen by other aircraft's ADSB in on either 978 or 1090mhz devices, as I understand it.

Any consideration for rudder flutter from the tailbeacon addition on the small rudders? 70 grams/2.5 ounces.

The skybeacon calls out 6/32 screws, my Grimes are currently on 8/32 nutplates. The tailbeacon calls out #4 flathead screws, mine are I think #6s, so I'm doubting a 10 minute install either way.

Last edited by moosepileit : 08-18-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:48 PM

Default 49clipper

I like the uavionis tail light, but i intend to travel to ALaska in the future and I read you must have 1090mhz in canada. True? 978mhz is only for the US market.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:14 PM

No EFIS. The KT76C was recently serviced (not cheap) but as mentioned it might be better to just go with ADSB-in/out now unless the tail light drops in price.

I have a $100 Stratux to an iPad for in but will need out within the next 15 months.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:51 PM

Doe this actually got where the small tail
Light is on my vans maybe 1 1/4 inch or so or does it replace a strobe like on the cessnas I fly. Haven?t been able to find dimensions anywhere and since all vans are a little different don?t know what you guys have for lights. Mine uses a 1156 automotive bulb.

While I'm not a builder if I happen to give advice , I will not be responsible for damage to equipment, your ego, parts, world wide power outages, spontaneously generated black holes, planetary disruptions, or personal injury that may result from the use of this advice.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:57 PM

You might want to hold off on the Skybeacon and Tailbeacon until the Garmin in lawsuit against uAvionix is resolved.

https://insight.rpxcorp.com/litigati...ments/12956844

I don’t think discussions of the legalities are allowed on this forum, but it is relevant to know that a lawsuit affects these devices, lest anyone end up with an ”illegal” unit, a la Navworx.

Last edited by emuyshondt : 08-19-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Closed Thread