What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Owner Privileges

hoof013

I'm New Here
I know that this question has probably been asked many times before, but I didn't find it doing a quick search.

If you purchase an experimental aircraft and later want to do some changes like updating the avionics, can you perform the work or do you have to have an A&P do it?

If you do it, do you have to have a sign-off by an A&P prior to operation?

Do you have to hold to the same rules as an owner of a certificated aircraft?

Many thanks

Richard

Anyone can perform any work on an experimental.

Some operating limitations require FSDO notification for "major modifcations" or "major changes", but anyone can still do the work. It's best to check the oplims for the particular aircraft.

You must hold a Repairman's Certificate for that particular aircraft or be an A&P (no IA necessary) to sign off the required annual condition inspection.

Yes, No, No, No.

I know that this question has probably been asked many times before, but I didn't find it doing a quick search.

If you purchase an experimental aircraft and later want to do some changes like updating the avionics, can you perform the work or do you have to have an A&P do it?

If you do it, do you have to have a sign-off by an A&P prior to operation?

Do you have to hold to the same rules as an owner of a certificated aircraft?

Many thanks

Richard

Now wasn't that easy.:D

I can't remember the exact wording, but as owner you can make any change you want as long as you don't substantially effect the flight characteristics.

You can do all your own maintenance and repairs.

The only thing that you can't do is the annual (conditional inspection). For this you will need to have a A&P or the person that holds the repairman certificate for your airplane.

Have fun, Kent

More owner questions

Expanding on the Operational Limitations, the RV6 I am looking to buy says "not intended for aerobatic manuvers" in the POH. What can I do to change this? I want to do loops and rolls in this RV6.
Dan Hempy
Marion, Ohio

Call your local FAA for a pahse 1 box if the one for the aircraft is not near you. Then you will need to place the a/c back into phase 1 and fly your stuff in the box..... and then log the moves that you want the a/c approved for. Then log back into phase 2.

And before doing that, I would want to have a VERY detailed discussion with the original builder as to exactly WHY that restriction was placed on the POH. Was it because of building errors or repairs during the process, or simply because he didn't think he would ever want to do aerobatics?

Maybe, maybe not!

Call your local FAA for a pahse 1 box if the one for the aircraft is not near you. Then you will need to place the a/c back into phase 1 and fly your stuff in the box..... and then log the moves that you want the a/c approved for. Then log back into phase 2.
It depends entirely on your operating limitations. If they state that aerobatics are prohibited, you will need at least an amended airworthiness certificate and operating limitations. Then you can move back into phase I for aerobatic checkout.
Call me tomorrow with your operating limitations in hand and we'll see what can be done.
972-784-7544

Back