What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is it just me? Re: order of name on registration

Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
Maybe it's just me being anal retentive, but...

I dutifully fill out the registration paperwork *precisely* as specified, and following the example in the packet from EAA. To wit:

Aircraft Manufacturer and Model
Doe, John J. - RV-7A

wooohooo! sez I, and send it in, and order the data plate to match it (as has been pointed out so many times, the data plate must match *exactly* the registration).

Today, I received the actual registration.

Double wooooohooooooo! Except...

The FAA has decided to change the Manufacturer and Model to

John J Doe RV-7A

Different order, no punctuation.

Guess I'll be ordering another data plate. Thanks.

(Oddly enough, the "Issued to" field retained the original order of last, first mi. Go figure).

GRRRRRRR....20-some bucks down the drain for a new data plate.

I can't explain the changing of the order of the name. That depends on who does the paperwork in Ok City.
But as far as punctuation, FAA Registration uses NO punctuation anywhere.
This is why we recommend that you don't do anything to your data plate until the registration is issued.

I can't explain the changing of the order of the name. That depends on who does the paperwork in Ok City.
This is why we recommend that you don't do anything to your data plate until the registration is issued.

So, should we leave the punctuation off our data plates as well? I'm getting close to stamping/engraving my data plate.

How do they handle Mr. O'Malley or any of his Irish buddies?

Back