What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone using this product to balance the Rotax carbs?

redmark

I've seen this carb synchronizers discuss/reviewed on a few web sites but I was wondering if anyone on this site was using it? They have a connection kit for the 912. I sent an e-mail this morning ask how one could purchase one in the USA.

http://www.boehm-synchrontester.de/

-Ron

While that one would work, I don't know why you would go to all of the trouble when several units are available already. The Euro is pretty high against the USD.

Carb Sync

If you can find a good manifold pressure gauge from an old twin (salvage) they are relatively cheap and work even better because all you have to do is match the two needles.

Carbmate

07-01265.jpg

Gauge-based sync tools will be more expensive and less accurate than "thermometer" type tools. With those, you just make sure it's level, and it can't be wrong!

Even home-made ones are accurate. The motorcycle world has been using this technique for some time:

645.jpg

--Bill

Carbmate adapters...

The balance tube hose and fittings on the Rotax are a METRIC size approximately 7/16 inch. You will not find fittings in the hardware store this size (unless you live in Europe like Joeri;)). A 3/8 hose barb does not fit the Rotax crossover hose. I used a 1/2" hose barb X 1/4" pipe thread and machined off as much of the wall thickness as I could to get it down to almost 7/16". With a little lube this will go into the Rotax tubing as seen in the picture. You can make the other connection with a piece of 3/8" hose. It will stretch enough to go over the elbow fitting on the manifold.
[url=http://tonytessitore.smugmug.com/RV-12-Project-N577RV/Final-Assembly/11643775_hcft9#844949031_DwEZ9-A-LB][/URL]
The Carbmate is designed for motorcycles so will need longer tubing on the carbmate to get is safely away for the moving propeller. You can buy this in any hardware store to fit your homemade adapter.

Carbmate supposedly has an adapter kit for the Rotax. I ordered it from a big Rotax house and what they sent (for $55) was just US size fittings that you can can buy in the hardware store for a few bucks. It did not fit properly. Be warned.

Tony

Last edited:
TS-400 adapter kit

Ron,
Hopefully, your adapter kit will be the real deal, I suspect mine was made up of inexpensive parts of by a supplier who saw a way to make a profit. If yours fits properly, let us know.

Tony

Carbmate adapter kit

Who does sell an adapter kit for the Carbmate for the Rotax 912ULS? I saw one but it was an English company...any solid reference to an adapter that will actually fit?

CarbMate adaptor

I made adaptors out of 3/8" ID plastic tubing and "O" rings. The 3/8" plastic tube slides over the 90? male fitting on the intake manifold. Simple and cheap. Actually free because I had the parts.
Using a hinge and cardboard, I made a bracket to hold the CarbMate to the firewall hinge so that I could see the CarbMate from inside of the cockpit. It takes time to start the engine, look at the CarbMate, shut off the engine, adjust the throttle cable, and repeat. But one person alone can balance the carbs without standing next to a moving prop.
Joe
CarbMate%20adpt.jpg

Back