What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CHT Wiring - Left is Right, Right is Left?

MartySantic

Well Known Member
For those of you that have the CHTs connected, disconnect the left one and see if the left CHT (pilot side) goes downscale. Try the right side CHT. THEN, post your result.

John Bender and I found them misconnected. Our wire colors at the 25 pin connector match.

Hopefully a Dynon change can be implemented with a few keystrokes vs. messing with the 25 pin connector which is heatshrinked.

John has made calls to both Van's and Stein. We cannot do any further troubleshooting because a detailed schematic diagram is NOT available. Another example of why Van's should make it available for the RV-12.

Last edited:
George

If you do not disconnect them and check them per left - right, you will not know they are reversed. Do as Marty said and disconnect one side, and see if the Dynon says THAT side is not working then.

Thanks,

John Bender

For those of you that have the CHTs connected, disconnect the left one and see if the left CHT (pilot side) goes downscale. Try the right side CHT. THEN, post your result.

John Bender and I found them misconnected. Our wire colors at the 25 pin connector match.

Hopefully a Dynon change can be implemented with a few keystrokes vs. messing with the 25 pin connector which is heatshrinked.

John has made calls to both Van's and Stein. We cannot do any further troubleshooting because a detailed schematic diagram is NOT available. Another example of why Van's should make it available for the RV-12.

Mine was backwards too. I was able to swap the pins in the connector even with the heat shrink activated. Instead of pulling on the wire using the removal tool, I pushed on the pin with the removal tool in place.

Likely everyones is reversed

Only because one of mine does not work at all, did I find they are reversed. If you did not test them, you would never find that. My panel has a problem. They are sending me another panel. Should correct my problem, AND correct which is left and right, by reversing the 2 purple wires in the ROTAX harness. Pin 3 & 4 are the ones in question.

John Bender

CHT

John,

Thanks for the heads up! I just swapped the pins like Jim did...takes 5 minutes. Sorry to hear about your panel. At least you're getting a new one. Don't forget to crank that trim pot before you put in it...hahah.

Pete - darn it

You just reminded me I'l have to do that again. THANKS. I had enough problems with the trim motor also, so not doing real well with some of these items. About a few days from inspection ( I think anyway ).

John Bender

Add another to the list of planes that have the CHT wires reversed. It was a very simple test with a heat gun just apply heat to the area of the cylinder just above the CHT sensor and in about 30 seconds the D-180 showed the temperature rise and fall after heat is removed, the good news is that both seemed to work just indicated back words.

Best regards,
Vern

Back