What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans Homecoming vs Oregon Airshow

Ramendala

Interesting that Vans Homecoming is the same weekend as the Oregon Airshow in Hillsboro (HIO). Two of the local chapters (105 and 782) have an EAA booth at the show.

It has gotten a bit commercial over the last few years but Tucker and Wagstaff will be there along with the Thunderbirds and many others.

www.oregonairshow.com

Rough weekend ahead, pick your poison. :p
Ryan

I had a couple F-16s right over my office about an hour ago. My office is right under the 02 upwind of HIO...

--Bill

Art and Air show in Albany also (50 mi south of hillsboro, 20 mi south of van's homecoming in independence). Hot air balloons and lots of airplanes.

Airspace in the Willamette valley will be busy this weekend, keep your eyes and ears open and be safe out there.

doug
9a

Homecoming update

For those of you planning to come to Independence for Homecoming, the initial 80 available tickets for the banquet sold out yesterday. Today, I called Tom Green and the caterer and arranged another 20 meals to be available, so if you'd like to come, get those tickets today. I know of a four out of the 20 that have sold this morning. If we sell all of these today, we can do another 20 meals and Van's will sell the remainder at the door.
The 40x40 tent was erected against the hangar this morning, the beer garden will show up tomorrow afternoon and be open tomorrow afternoon and Saturday afternoon. Some of the local folks have arranged a winery tour for Saturday, if you're interested in doing that, send a note to: rvreg @ minetfiber.com (take out the spaces to use that email address).
For those folks unfamiliar with the area, if you are unable to get over the Cascades, the locals take the route along the Columbia River through "The Gorge". The ceilings in the valley are normally plenty high enough to fly in once you pass the Troutdale Airport (KTTD). To fly to the gorge, head toward The Dalles (KDLS) and follow the river west toward Portland. You'll probably need to contact the tower at Troutdale depending on where you need to maneuver to clear clouds and terrain. If you fly through the gorge, stay on the right side and keep a good eye out for traffic.
So far, we have registered 29 aircraft from out of state that are staying with people in the airpark. It's hard saying how many regional people will show up or people who have made their own accomodations in Salem, Dallas or Monmouth, but we expect a full ramp on Saturday morning at the pancake breakfast. Last year's attendance was estimated at 92 RV's.
There are T-shirts available for this year's homecoming and T-shirts available from the three previous events held here at Independence.
Sure look forward to seeing all of you again!

TFR's

Be advised, if flying in to Independance (7S5), there are several TFR's in the area. Hood River and Mill City are related to firefighting, and the Hillsboro is Airshow related. The Hood River TFR may impact using the Columbia River Gorge as a flight route. Also expect some smoke in the area and a Pacific cold front passage Friday evening/Saturday morning.

Link to FAA TFR info here:

Hood River Fire: http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_9_7179.html

Mill City Fire: http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_9_6980.html

Hillsboro Airshow: http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_9_6535.html

Airshow fever?

So, last night at about 5:25pm I was stopped at an intersection right next to KHIO. The airspace was scheduled to close at 6pm or so for the Friday night airshow.

Here comes this mid-sized biz-jet, doing what appears to be the last half of an overhead break!?! I watched him do a constant decending 180, finishing up on centerline about 200agl, right at the fence. If it wasn't an overhead break, it was still an unusual approach for a big-un.

I wondered if he had airshow fever, or was just in a hurry to beat the TFR? :D

Back