What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Steerable nosewheel

skydiverlv

Well Known Member
Bet you didnt know Vans was holding out on us and installed a steerable nosewheel on 912VA.
Somebody been molesting the file photo. I noticed this on the Bruces Covers website
Hey JetGuy. this could be your next project

11hsy6w.jpg

Bet you didnt know Vans was holding out on us and installed a steerable nosewheel on 912VA.
Somebody been molesting the file photo. I noticed this on the Bruces Covers website
Hey JetGuy. this could be your next project

11hsy6w.jpg

that's the original proof of concept RV-12

see also how it has a wing mounted pitot mast:
Vans-AIrcraft-RV-12-N912VA-Proof-Of-Concept-Prototype-LSA-Aircraft.jpg

Different airfoil

Less leg room

Any other changes from the proof of concept prototype?

N number transferred to the east coast demonstrator - New Blue

My last two airplanes had steerable nose wheels, lots of maintenance problems and I did not like them that much anyhow. I am looking forward to the castoring one.

Just like the Yankee

I flew an AA-1 for almost 14 years before building the 12. Aside from a bit more wear on the brakes, you'll love the castoring nosewheel when you get used to it. Besides the much tighter turning radius (spin around on one wheel) you can touch down with rudder in a forward slip without having the airplane dart to one side as soon as the nosewheel touches.

Wayne 143WM

This is the NLG that Van's has needed all along. It's what "real" airplanes use. I designed this fork years ago.

I don't see where it's necessarily "steerable." You can make a castering nose wheel with torque links - AND - it has an oleo! No more stick back for taxi, T/O and landing. Like a Super Cub. No more chuck hole flips. And - As they say on the TV - that's not all folks - it opens the possibility of big tires all around and some serious back-country flying. I can already picture my -12 with Tundra tires. And then,.......

Bob Bogash
N737G
(making progress.... I think?....)

Back