What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Honeywell Oil Pressure Sender Photo

JohnF

Well Known Member
I cut open the failed Honeywell oil pressure sender. You can see from the number of ICs in this device why it is subject to failure and perhaps get some idea of why it costs $400 or so to replace; something I do not intend to do.

ra6lpc.jpg

JohnF

Last edited by a moderator:
I can understand how at first glance this could make RV-12 builders nervous, but this type of equipment mounted to an engine is not a new idea.

If it were a problem, then something like the E/P mag for Lycoming engines would not be possible. Nor would the new FADEC systems being used on Lycoming and Continental engines. Also cars and trucks would have a high rate of engine failure because of all of the electronic sensors attached to them.

Sensor

Perhaps, but note that Dynon specifically recommends against putting this thing on the engine, and my experience would tend to support their recommendation.

Perhaps, but note that Dynon specifically recommends against putting this thing on the engine, and my experience would tend to support their recommendation.

This specific sensor only began being installed on Rotax engines (which by teh way is installed directly on the engine by the Rotax Factory) a short time before the first powerplant kits were delivered to RV-12 builders. I do not know what Dynon bases their recommendation on...I have never spoken with them about it, and as far as I am aware, they never made any specific recommendation to Van's regarding that.

oil Pressure Sender failed today!

On the way back from SAT today while helping Jim Hurd Get some stick time in my RV12 I think my oil sender Died. 69.4 hrs on the engine. Inflight the oil pressure went to zero with no other bad indications. Occasionally it would bounce back up to normal pressure and it became very sporadic with its indications. All other engine indications were normal. After landing at our home airport we made a quick visual check and all looked normal. Will be in touch with LEAF in Wisconsin Monday for warranty service on the sender unit. Although the engine has 69hrs on it the sending unit looks brand new. I hate the Rotax warranty process but it is the only way Rotax will be able to collect data to on their parts to know that they are faulty. If a part on a new Rotax is simply replaced with an after market part then Rotax will not know that it had a bad part on that engine unless you write a detailed letter with, time, date, serial number, part number, and what happened when the part failed and why you didn't use their OEM part as a replacement to customer service. Just curious how many guys have had this part fail?

John
RV12 N1212K

Last edited:
Erratic oil pressure readings and/or sender failure is not unusual on the Flight Design CT. Many owners have remote mounted it on the firewall. This is an approved mod by Rotax and can be done on any Rotax 912 engine. You need to use the 2 prong oil pressure sender because as soon as you remove the original single prong oil pressure sender it looses its ground. The single prong sender gets its ground from engine contact. So all you need to do is use the double prong sender and one of the prongs needs to be attached to a good ground. If you have a fuel pressure sender already remote mounted then just use a short jumper wire to it as it already has a ground. Your original wire from the original sender can just be rerouted. This remote mount kit is available at Lockwood Aviation and comes with the fittings, hose and new oil pressure sender. You will need to purchase some fire sleeve for the oil line as this is ASTM standards. Make sure you keep this new line away from any hot exhaust. I think the kit is about $85.

Thanks for the info!

John, thanks for the info. I just did a search on the form and there have been problems with this sender going back to Nov of 2009. Lots of complaints but of course nobody came back to say exactly what the final fix was to the problem. I'll ring up the Gurus on Monday to get all the correct parts. In the mean time Scott you were in on all those threads so do you know of any final out come from Vans on this oil pressure issue?

John
RV12 N1212K

Lockwood also carries a sender for $39.95, VDO part #V360-004. At that price you don't get too excited if you have to replace it a couple of times compared to the $400 one. But, I have no idea how it affects warranty, etc.

Back