What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics Question

Topturn

Whilst I'm a long way off being in a position to consider fitting the avionics kit to my RV-12 I'm starting to wonder about it as in the UK we have to have 3 traditional backup instruments - A compass, an airspeed indicator and an altimeter but is there enough room to accommodate these neatly and does the Rotax have a vacuum pump as standard for a back-up AI (if room allows) or would that have to be an electric one?

An airspeed indicator is just a pitot/static device, so it doesn't need vacuum for "power".

Every plane in the UK has two compasses, two airspeed indicators and two altimeters?

--Bill

Every plane in the UK has two compasses, two airspeed indicators and two altimeters?
--Bill

No, but if you fit a glass cockpit in an amateur built aircraft in the UK the organisation which governs AB built aircraft (The LAA) requires you to fit a backup analogue ASI, ALT and compass.

topturn said:
and does the Rotax have a vacuum pump as standard for a back-up AI (if room allows) or would that have to be an electric one?

I think you can fit a vac pump to the Rotax, but to be honest I can't see any reason for fitting a backup AI in a permit aircraft as you're limited to day VFR anyway.

Brooklands

The LAA (Light Aircraft Association) here in the UK that regulates kit aircraft construction ask that you fit the three basic instruments to any build a compass, ASI and altimeter and seemly just because the Dyno does most everything you still need to have the basic 'clockwork' instruments installed.

It will be interesting to see if the other UK builders managed to fit the 2 required instruments into the panel whilst keeping the map box in play? I guess the compass can sit safely out of the way on top of the panel not taking up too much space.

It will be interesting to see what EASA mandates when 'factory built' LSAs are allowed in Europe and the UK. The C162 for instance has little panel space (or spare useful load capacity...) to fit stand-by instruments.

If we do have to fit a clockwork ASI and altimeter then I intend to fit mine somewhere down on the centre tunnel - I'm aiming for the dual Dynons.

You can fit a vac pump to a Rotax but on a Day/VFR machine I wouldn't bother with all the hassle, weight and cost. Electric AIs are available at a cost but again - keep it simple... :)

Jerry that will be a nice neat solution to fit them low down in the middle of the cockpit somewhere and I hope you share your design when you finalize your plans? I guess leaving enough room for a back-up AI if IMC stuff is every allowed in kit aircraft would again be sensible.

UK Additional Instruments

Jerry,

I think that somewhere in the past there was a thread about NOT cutting into the centre tunnel for structural reasons. Maybe somewhere out there knows where this was, I can't find it at the moment.

Jim D

Fear not good folk, I wasn't intending to modify the structure at all. My theory if the UK authorities insist on stand-by instruments, will be to have a separate box containing the instruments afixed to the centre tunnel.

Don't worry, Jason I'll let you know how I do it if I have to do it!

Backup instruments

FWIF I am fitting an ASI, altimetre, and compass, all 2.25 inch units in the right-hand panel. There's plenty of room to retain the map box, but not enough to include the second Dynon.

Vans approved this location with the UK LAA. They also approve fitting two units under the panel, and had agreed to provide a mounting, though I have not had any further correspondence on this as I chose panel-mounting.

I still don't know if I will have an interference problem with the location of the Precision compass.

Cheers...Keith

Back