What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO 375?

miyu1975

Well Known Member
Anyone flying behind an IO 375 yet?...would be interested in performance results and experiances.

Anyone flying behind an IO 375 yet?...would be interested in performance results and experiances.

Creating an IO375 sounds complicated and challenging either changing the crank shaft or getting bigger pistons and jugs....save yourself a lot of experimenting and go with a Barrett Lycoming IO360X.

The pistons and crank shaft are balanced, it is ported and runs very smooth. It also came in at 187 HP on the dyno which may be why it turns the Catta at 2820 at 8600'.

It is a pleasing engine....

I wasn't planning on building it myself. I was talking about the Aerosport Power IO 375.

also the Barrett IO 360X is 9.5:1 compression..according to his site. From what I have read the high compressions means only use for 100LL.. My plan is to have the option to run mogas thereby needing lower compressions. and the IO 390 is out of my price range.

also the Barrett IO 360X is 9.5:1 compression..according to his site. From what I have read the high compressions means only use for 100LL.. My plan is to have the option to run mogas thereby needing lower compressions. and the IO 390 is out of my price range.

The 9.5:1 ratio is optional at BPE.

My engine is 8.5:1.

FWIW, Allen Barrett said I could run mogas with the 9.1:1 pistons if I wanted to go that route.

I too am very interested in that engine. That is my first stop at Oshkosh. Sounds like it has the same footprint and weight with the advantage of additional HP.

IO 375

I have an AeroSport IO-375 B1B. First engine start should be the beginning of Aug. I can' say enough good about Bart & Sue at AeroSport Power. Their engines are warranteed for 3 years from first engine start.
They use 7 to 1 pistons in the 360 resulting in 8 to 1 in the stroked 360 (read 375). The pistons and crank are the only differences but both are stock parts. Typical output at 2700rpm is 195hp. Same weight as a stock 360.

By all means stop at AeroSport Power at OSH. You won't be disappointed.
They have more answers than you have questions.

Gerry

I took delivery of my IO-375 with Precision Eagle Ems 3 weeks ago from Aerosport Power. Mogas with low compression pistons and 195 h.p. You can get high compression pistons for 206 h.p. but you must use 100LL. Aerosport Power is easy to work with, I highly recommend them. It will be a while before I have it up and running, however there are some out there that are.

Jay Erickson, RV-7A in progress, RV-6A complete

I have an AeroSport IO-375 B1B. First engine start should be the beginning of Aug. I can' say enough good about Bart & Sue at AeroSport Power. Their engines are warranteed for 3 years from first engine start.
They use 7 to 1 pistons in the 360 resulting in 8 to 1 in the stroked 360 (read 375). The pistons and crank are the only differences but both are stock parts. Typical output at 2700rpm is 195hp. Same weight as a stock 360.

By all means stop at AeroSport Power at OSH. You won't be disappointed.
They have more answers than you have questions.

Gerry

Gerry,

Just to clarify, the IO-375 crank isn't a stock part at all. It's custom made for Bart by ECI. I talked to him specifically to him about this last year at Osh...

Edit: After running the numbers... it looks like it'd be possible for a 405ci 4 cylinder running IO-390 cylinders, with the stroker crank. Probably be about 9.7 to 10:1 compression ratio. Makes me wonder... what kinda HP that might put out... Maybe 235ish. :)

Good replacement for those running a Superior IO-400-SRE...

Last edited:
Weight and cost

What's the advantage of the IO 375 vs a stock 200hp 360?

The 200hp IO-360 is the high compression angle valve engine the weighs more and cost more than the 180hp IO-360. The IO-375 is the lighter parallel valve engine (same as the 180hp IO-360 but with a longer stroke)

Back