What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

String In The Wing

Geico266

Well Known Member
The instructions call out to cut 2 12' pieces of string (one for each wing) and run them though the plastic snap ins in the leading edge of the ribs, and tape up the string to the rib in each end. What is this for if you close up the wing as directed?

The wing tips on these -12s sure are ugly. Sure would be nice to fiberglass them smooth and stay E-LSA. :(

Last edited:
Pulling wires later, perhaps.

Recently I did an upgrade that required pulling new wires through my wing conduits. I had left my pull string in there from original construction and was able to reuse it to pull the new wiring.

TIP, make a "loop" for pulling, then trim off the excess and leave the segment of string in the conduit for later.

YMMV,

Recently I did an upgrade that required pulling new wires through my wing conduits. I had left my pull string in there from original construction and was able to reuse it to pull the new wiring.

TIP, make a "loop" for pulling, then trim off the excess and leave the segment of string in the conduit for later.

YMMV,

Joe, if we are building to E-LSA I assume we can't modify anything so I can remove this string? I hate to see things flopping around.....even string.

String is for expected light nav light option

Larry:

The string in the wings is there for the expected optional nav light kit. There have been prior postings on this which are probably deep in the archives. However, several RV-12 builders have discussed this with Ken and there was an article in the RVator that addresses it as well. The expectation is that even with the wing tips closed out, RV-12 builders will be able to add the optional nav light kit when it is made available. The connectors are already there on both wings so everything is in place for this option. Furthermore, once the option is made available by Van's, the lights should be a permissible addition under E-LSA. Van's has indicated the same will apply to the autopilot (all provisions for servo addition are also going to be in the plane).

Hence, I would only remove the string if you are absolutely sure you do not want to add the nav lights when Van's releases the option.

I have long suspected that the light kit will require a hole saw and an inspection plate for the tip...

I finished up the left tip today. I must say it looks pretty "good". Everything fit, but as I heard Vans say one time; "Metal can only do so much."

Fishing line

The instructions said "string or fishing line". 12# monofilament was the first thing I found, so in it went. Lesson learned...when you run monofilament, be sure that it comes straight thru the hole and does NOT get detoured thru one of the slots in the sides of the inserts. Monofilament is thin, stiff, hard to see, and usually somewhat curly. It will follow every possible detour (Murphy's Law). I intend to pull a multi-filament string or twine (polypropolene?) thru there before closing up. I don't trust the monofilament to hold up to heat and age.
Other ideas, experiences and suggestions welcomed!
Dave.

Electrician's trick for pulling string...

If you have a conduit (such as the corrugated plastic stuff that van's sells), it's real easy to pull string after the fact. Just tie a piece of string around a cotton ball, put the cotton ball into the conduit, and put a shop-vac on the other end of the conduit. Takes about 1 second for the cotton ball to end up buried deep in the bowels of your shop vac, so make sure there is lots of string tied to the cotton ball.

If you have a conduit (such as the corrugated plastic stuff that van's sells), it's real easy to pull string after the fact. Just tie a piece of string around a cotton ball, put the cotton ball into the conduit, and put a shop-vac on the other end of the conduit. Takes about 1 second for the cotton ball to end up buried deep in the bowels of your shop vac, so make sure there is lots of string tied to the cotton ball.

Now that is a great idea.

But is it authorized

to put a conduit in the wings? Would that not be a deviation from the ELSA drawings. Now if building as EAB then it would be no problem.

Lesson learned...when you run monofilament, be sure that it comes straight thru the hole and does NOT get detoured thru one of the slots in the sides of the inserts.

Dave... No matter how careful I am, my fly fishing line always seems to miss ONE rod guide, so I knew to hand check the path of the line through the wing multiple times. I briefly thought about using backing, but ended up with two runs of 40# fishing line. The first run is used to pull the wire. The second run guarantees that the first pull will work. Scientifically, it can be shown that not putting in the second run will cause primary line to break :)

Jeff

The same trick works by blowing the string with your air supply and won't end up in a messy vaccuum.

Good one Jeff, thanks! Yup, that 2# tippet always misses at least one of my eyelets on the rod also. I like the idea of your heavier line x2 also.
Dave.

Back