What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stall Warning Switch in OB LE

StressedOut

Well Known Member
I'm just starting the OB leading edge and I'm thinking ahead on the wiring of the wing systems. I'm planning on installing the Garmin AOA pitot tube for a G3X touch system. I'm currently undecided on putting in AOA indicator in line of sight on the dash though.

Does this argue for not installing the stall warning micro switch in the OB leading edge? Is it a good backup, or in practice just a pain to calibrate and use two different systems for similar information?

I'm leaning on leaving the switch out, but would like to hear some opinions on the subject before I'm committed to a path.

My 2 cents: Don’t worry about the visual indicator. Keep your eyes outside where they belong on landing approaches. But definitely hook up the audio warning beeping tones, they work very well, much superior to the single, all or nothing typical stall warning switch. If you decide to omit the mechanical stall switch, be aware that on your first flights, you will have no reliable stall warnings until you perform an in-flight calibration of the AOA system. I put them both in, said I’d go back and remove the warning vane later. Still haven’t done it. Probably costs me 1/4 knot!

Left out the Van’s stall warning on the last three sets of wings I built. The SkyView AOA is far preferred. Filled the holes in the leading edge with some micro with a piece of fiberglass on the inside.

Carl

My vote is for AoA - any AoA, but particularly those with audible outputs that vary with increasing angle of attack. Superior to any stall warning switch or visual indicator (visual indicators do have their place to find specific parameters, but for safety - aural is the way to go).

Whil Bob makes a good point that the AoA will not be functional the first few flights, so if you leave the stall warning out, you’ll be flying without that function, I’d argue that an RV built aerodynamically to plans should be no problem without stall or AoA indications for anyone qualified to do a first flight…..

Paul

so if you leave the stall warning out, you’ll be flying without that function, I’d argue that an RV built aerodynamically to plans should be no problem without stall or AoA indications for anyone qualified to do a first flight…..

Paul

I'd argue that an RV "built to plans" hardly needs phase 1 testing at all! The main reason to keep Vans' stall vane is if something goes badly wrong on that first flight; then, no stall warning just adds to the stress level. It's one of those things each individual should decide for himself.

I'd argue that an RV "built to plans" hardly needs phase 1 testing at all! The main reason to keep Vans' stall vane is if something goes badly wrong on that first flight; then, no stall warning just adds to the stress level. It's one of those things each individual should decide for himself.

I just did my (7A) airplane's first flight, and found the Vans stall warner erroneously blasting away at around 70 knots, which was kind of an unwanted distraction. Just one more thing to correct. I'm sure it will be useful when it's dialed in correctly.

Last edited:
I installed the stall warning switch and the AoA - the switch was great for the first many flights until the engine broke in (an IO-390 can take a while, compared to other engines). Then I calibrated the AoA. I subsequently asked the painter (Evoke - best in the business, btw) to remove the stall switch and glass in the hole. Win-win.

_Alex

Thanks everybody for all the replies. Looking at the plans, there is access to the switch through the lightening hole in the splice rib if you remove the fuel tank. I've decided to install the switch now and if I find it annoying later after everything is calibrated then I can remove it when I paint the airplane.

Back