What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Accidentally dimpled leading edge holes on rudder

toddzz

I'm New Here
Not paying attention, and not being familiar with blind rivet nomenclature, I dimpled all the holes on the leading edge of the rudder for AD-41-ABS rivets.

Have emailed Vans support, they're at Airventure, so I won't get a response for a bit.

I'm not going to do anything until I hear back, but wanted advice on what is potentially a reasonable solution.

Thanks

Todd Waltrip
RV-14A

Flatten the dimples

Vans support will probably say that it is acceptable to flatten the errant dimples using a squeezer and flat dies. I would practice on some scrap first!

+3. I may purposefully accidently do that on the next one! The dome heads leave a gap on the radius that catches stuff anyway.

Hoping...

Really hoping that Vans says to either flatten the dimples or use countersunk blind rivet.

I haven't made the lap joint "seam" yet for the left skin to lie better over the right skin, which may be odd to do with dimples already there.

I still can't believe I did this. My wife keeps telling me to chill.

If you are talking about the rolled part that normally hides within the spar cove, I wont tell you what Vans will say, but I will tell you that I dimpled mine (on purpose) and shot solid rivets in all but a few places.

I did the same. The dimples help to hold the rolled edges together. Unintended mod. Not a problem!

Feeling better

I was mainly worried that the dimpled, rolled skins would be weak and lead to cracking down the road. Sounds like not the case. Thanks for inputs!

Stick it in the car and drive over and let them look at it. Or at least you could ask them. If you stop by the Phillips tent and buy 3 cases of oil, they will drive you back to your car!!

Back