What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Workshop space question -- do I need to attach the wings during the build?

bmellis11

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I'm going to be building an RV-8A in my basement. I have an existing shop space that I am going to expand a bit, but I want to keep my wife happy by not taking too much space from the other uses of the basement. I definitely don't have the political capital it would take to claim enough space to have both wings attached at the same time. But I might be able to take enough space to have one wing attached with enough space to move around, if it's worth it.

So what I'm wondering from those with build experience is whether there's much work that has to be done with the wings attached, and if so, whether it's practical to attach one wing at a time, do the work, and then switch the wings?

Both wings on for a few days

I'm just doing that part now (6A) and both wings need to be on at the same time, for at least a couple of days, with the fuselage levelled, in order to set the incidence and check the sweep. And also to set the control linkage lengths for flap and aileron travel and alignment - though this could be finalised in the hangar.

I'm just doing that part now (6A) and both wings need to be on at the same time, for at least a couple of days, with the fuselage levelled, in order to set the incidence and check the sweep. And also to set the control linkage lengths for flap and aileron travel and alignment - though this could be finalised in the hangar.

And just to take what was said above one step further the wingtips should be mounted after the ailerons have been rigged and pinned in the neutral position. All of these can be done during final assembly at the hangar and given your circumstance a ok.

God bless

Last edited:
Thanks all for the replies. Looks like I can wait until I get to the airport to attach the wings. That makes things much easier for me.

And just to take what was said above one step further the wingtips should be mounted after the ailerons have been rigged and pinned in the neutral position; the ailerons can not be rigged properly until the wing is mounted. All of these can be done during final assembly at the hangar and given your circumstance a ok.

God bless

+1 no need to mount wings until the airport.
I disagree with the above though. The neutral position is known and easy to achieve in the stand.
IMHO it’s much easier to get a good alignment on the tips while doing them in the stand vertical.

+1 no need to mount wings until the airport.
I disagree with the above though. The neutral position is known and easy to achieve in the stand.
IMHO it’s much easier to get a good alignment on the tips while doing them in the stand vertical.

Yes as Richard pointed out above the wingtips can be mounted while the wing is in the cradle and the ailerons pinned in the neutral position and I misspoke when I stated the wing had to be mounted.

Main thing is make sure the ailerons are pinned neutral before mounting the wingtips.

God Bless

Last edited:
Yes as Richard pointed out above the wingtips can be mounted while the wing is in the cradle and the ailerons pinned in the neutral position and I misspoke when I stated the wing had to be mounted.

Main thing is make sure the ailerons are pinned neutral before mounting the wingtips.

God Bless

+1. That's what I did. Worked great. Tips done!

Attachments

• Wingtips Painted.jpg
    Wingtips Painted.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 127
I had mine on and off so many times they almost knew how to do it themselves. I loved being able to see the plane all together in my garage or driveway. It was a great motivator. Now that Im flying and they have been mounted for good, I NEVER want to take them off!

Back