What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EAA Sheet Metal class - should I take it at OSH?

I just got the call that there is an opening in the sheet metal class at OSH (two-days). I was originally going to attend the Spruce intro to sheetmetal class sometime during the week. I've got my two pre-teen sons, and I think they would be ok fending for themselves for a couple of days, but I'm hesitant to do that. (They've been to Osh 6 or 7 times, I forget.) I've never, ever done sheet metal work, but I've rebuilt several auto and motorcycle engines in the past. I do IA supervised work on my Baron and past planes as well and am very comfortable with that.

The question I'm trying to answer for myself is will I get enough out of the class to help my F1 Rocket build along, or do I maybe just need a subset and the workshop might be overkill for me. Thoughts? I have only driven one rivet on one of the one-week wonders a few years ago.

We'll be there the whole week, from this Saturday to the following Saturday.

I’ve done the class. It was well worth the time. As far as where to take it that’s up to you but I would have made a lot of mistakes without it.

The EAA SportAir 2 day course is well worth your time (& investment), you will get the direct experience you need to start building the kit.

The EAA Sheet Metal Workshops on the grounds can't even begin to give you the basics. They are offered only as an intro...

I would take the EAA 2 day class some other time.. don’t lose 2 days at OSH!! Walk around and enjoy yourself!!!

The EAA Sheet Metal Workshops on the grounds can't even begin to give you the basics. They are offered only as an intro...

Just a counter point, the brief sheet metal workshop @ OSH is the only training I received. The plane I've built has been flying me and my family around for 12 years now. Not saying you wont learn more from a two day class, but I don't view it as a necessity.

Last edited:
Go for it

My wife and I took the RV sheet metal class at the beginning of AirVenture a few years ago. (That was the last time she touched any airplane parts LOL!) I had lots of experience with cars but no experience with aluminum or rivets. It was well worth the small expense and time as a confidence-builder, as well as to hear what other builders are working on.

Since then I've taken both the fiberglass and the electrical courses at OshKosh. They provide the confidence of having a solid foundation of practical knowledge and a little hands-on experience. And I get to make my first mistakes on something that's not going to be mysteriously holding me up in the air at 12,000 MSL.

Go for it!

I signed up. They said if it became untenable that I could move to another date.

I'm not worried about missing two days. This will be my 14th year and we usually stay 8 days. (Saturday - Saturday)

While not sheet metal the welding classes EAA puts on are excellent.

Flew my Cub in hot WX TODAY. Do not know how you Texas boys do it.

Going backwards on my RV3B again

Just a counter point, the brief sheet metal workshop @ OSH is the only training I received. The plane I've built has been flying me and my family around for 12 years now. Not saying you wont learn more from a two day class, but I don't view it as a necessity.

Similar story here. I took my newly purchased tools to a buddy's house and we spent 2 hours or so reviewing what I'd bought, how to use it, and what else I might need. He briefed me on drilling/deburring/dimpling/countersinking and we drove a few rivets.

After that, it was about taking a few weeks to practice my riveting for 10-30 minutes a day. You can set up your work sessions where you spend a couple of hours deburring, laying out, fitting stuff, etc. then spend 30 minutes practicing riveting at the end of the work session. The practice is very important, because you'll need to rivet all sorts of rivets in multiple awkward positions. If you only practice on easy to reach rivets, you'll be doing yourself a disservice.

The 2 day sheet metal class will teach you techniques, but those can be learned quickly, what you need to learn is how to "build".

I went through my informal apprenticeship in aircraft sheet metal at John Thorp's shop in Burbank. Taught by shop foremen for North American (George Robinson) and the Lockheed Vega prototype Shop, Vaughn Parker. Through it all I was mentored by John himself.

With that experience, I did earn a FAA cert to teach sheet metal continuing ed courses for IA's.

I've presented at OSH and Sun'nFun, in years past, as well as other events.

The culminating activity at the EAA 2 day class - the last time I participated as an assistant instructor, was to build an aileron assembly. Class of 25 or so at the museum workshop in OSH. Fastest student took about 2.5 hours. Longest was about 3.7, IIRC.

After the class post mortem, the other Asst Instructor was asked by a student how long it would take him to complete the final project

I interrupted by holding up my hand, he paused, and I whispered to the nearest student "30 minutes" a shocked look appeared on his face and he nearly fell of the stool on which he was sitting. When I waived my co-instructor on, he said "30 minutes" and 3-4 either fell off or stepped off their stools. Their burst of emotion was heard all over the room.

I walked over to the supply table, grabbed another "Kit" and it took less than 3 minutes showing "our" approach for the "light" to dawn in the 8 or so that were participating in the discussion group.

Besides being much faster, the techniques he and I showed also resulted in a better quality build.

Your best bet is to look for someone with experience that can teach you how to "build."

If you're coming to CA, look me up. In an open instruction session, an experienced hand can teach you much faster and much more thorough than you'll realize in a class targeting "task techniques." My last forum at Sun'nFun, one student commented my class was like drinking from a fire hose.

That said, It's all about paying forward what John, George, Charley and others taught me. Those guys had to train and supervise 1000s during the war and through to the 60's. Their experience as instructors was enormous. I'm indebted and consider it a privilege to pass along what little I remember.

Thanks for the topic - it gave me the opportunity to revisit a memorable part of my life!

Onward and upward

Last edited:
I took the 2 day EAA sheet metal course a few years ago.

I'd say that if you don't know a bucking bar from a piece of rebar, then this class is for you.

If, you're like me, and had already seen a rivet gun and maybe even tried your hand at setting a rivet or 2, you can get by without it. Its not going to make you a pro riveter.

Well, I’m glad to be humbled by this class. I didn’t think I would suck this bad! But at least each one is becoming incrementally better. I wish I could blind rivet the whole airplane. (Can I do that? :p )

Well, I’m glad to be humbled by this class. I didn’t think I would suck this bad! But at least each one is becoming incrementally better. I wish I could blind rivet the whole airplane. (Can I do that? :p )

You will be SEMI pro when you are done.

Please use SEMI lightly:rolleyes:

Boomer

Back