to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2022, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnflyr View Post
The instructions I got with my gussets don't talk about installing some on the aft side of the pedals. Seems that all the pedals would be loaded in compression on the forward (firewall) side. Can you clarify how some of the pedals could be in compression on the aft side and which ones need the gussets installed on that side, please?
The outer pedals are loaded in compression at the aft side when the inner pedal on the opposite side is pushed. For example, when the pilot pushes the right pedal (and its forward side is in compression) the torque is transferred via the long tube to the right pedal on the co-pilot side, where the rudder cable is attached. The "pull" from the rudder cable puts a compression force on the pedal aft side.

The instructions that came with the gussets that I got specified installation on the forward side only, so that's what has been done. I expect (and hope) the gussets will strengthen the joint whichever side they are welded. I vaguely recall (so may be wrong!) that there might also be some conflict with installing the finger patches on the same side as the tabs for the brake cylinders.
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, fuselage almost done, working on canopy.
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build

Last edited by PaulvS : 05-10-2022 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulvS View Post
The outer pedals are loaded in compression at the aft side when the inner pedal on the opposite side is pushed. For example, when the pilot pushes the right pedal (and its forward side is in compression) the torque is transferred via the long tube to the right pedal on the co-pilot side, where the rudder cable is attached. The "pull" from the rudder cable puts a compression force on the pedal aft side.

The instructions that came with the gussets that I got specified installation on the forward side only, so that's what has been done. I expect (and hope) the gussets will strengthen the joint whichever side they are welded. I vaguely recall (so may be wrong!) that there might also be some conflict with installing the finger patches on the same side as the tabs for the brake cylinders.
Ah. Thanks. Now that makes sense. There is no load on the pedal that the cable is attached to when it is being pressed by the pilot, but when the force is transferred by the tube from the other side the compressive force is felt on the aft side of that pedal. Van's needs to update its instructions to reflect that.
Old 11-11-2022, 09:05 PM

Default Dwg from SB

Just to clarify the topic about which side the gussets go on here is a screen shot from the SB.

This should NOT replace the importance of everyone checking the Vans website for the complete and updated SB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rudder Pedal factory dwg of repair.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	33690  
https://vansairforce.com/community/s...158610&page=70
2022 Dues paid
Old 11-13-2022, 05:47 PM

Default removing rudder pedal assembly tip with pic

Since it was time for my Condition Inspection, I bit the bullet to remove the pedal assembly for the Service Bulletin repair.

Between my vents being a bit low and my fuel tank vent line, I could NOT get them out.... I complained outloud and my wife who was helping, said "let me do it"! I manned up and said..... "Go for it".

Well you know of course what happened. Get got them out. I was torn between being super happy and somewhat embarrassed.

The trick she showed me was the importance of getting one of the ends with the nylon block to slip/nudge BELOW the horizontal angle that they sit on. This then allows you (or your wife) to get enough angle on the assembly to swing one end pass the vertical angle so they can come out.

THEN I will definitely split those end blocks like the middle one before I even try to get it back in.

Thanks to the others who have posted here. Several tips others posted were very helpful.

p.S. My weld joints were 100% rock solid. I think they were purchased over 10 years ago but I just got the kit flying a year ago so they only had about 140 hours on them.

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rudder pedal pic.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	33811  
https://vansairforce.com/community/s...158610&page=70
2022 Dues paid
Old 11-14-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charosenz View Post

p.S. My weld joints were 100% rock solid. I think they were purchased over 10 years ago but I just got the kit flying a year ago so they only had about 140 hours on them.

Charlie
If they don't have the gussets, I still wouldn't trust them. Mine went from "rock solid" to totally broken off in a short time.

While you have everything apart, it's worth it to do some of the brake mods listed on here too. The one that made a big difference for me and the "freeness" of my brake pedals was the long bolt mod. Followed by better/stiffer springs (or more spacers to make them return "harder"). After that, my brakes no longer felt draggy.