What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ICOM IC-A210 pre-release information

Pirkka

Well Known Member
Hi,

at Aero 2007 couple weeks back I got an pre-release information about their new radio. As I'm not yet looking panel seriously, I didn't ask anything about it, not when it would be coming out or what would be the price.

First page:

Second page:

Any prices yet

Has anyone heard what the list and street prices will likely be on the new A210 from Icom? I can't yet find it on any vendors' sites.

I talked with Icom just a couple of days ago. FCC has the radio working on approvals. They have no idea when or how much. They simply said to watch their website.

Thanks Mel. I really am interested in that dual frequency monitoring but am unwilling to pay for an SL-30. Hoping Icom will continue to have the best bang for the buck with their new A210. Hopefully by Oshkosh there will be some news.

The big question on my mind (and doubtless others') is: will this be a drop in replacement for the A200?

Anybody have any insight on this?

sprucemoose said:
The big question on my mind (and doubtless others') is: will this be a drop in replacement for the A200?

Anybody have any insight on this?
this is what the leaflet in the first message says about this:

Superior installation compatibility

The IC-A210 can be interchanged with most panel mount radios including Icom's IC-A200, Honeywell Bendix/King KY96A/KY97A and Garmin's SL40. A bracket adapter will be supplied with the IC-A210.
So the answer to your question question should be YES.

Ciao, Luca

rjtjrt said:
Anyone have any more recent info about this?
Price?
Availability/Release Date?
John
Icom has a full page add in this months Sport Aviation. Stein didn't have any info as of late last week when I ordered one from him. Seems like most of the panel for my RV-7A hasn't been released yet. New Grand Rapids high res EFIS Sport and Icom A210. At least the GRT EIS and Garmin transponder are available.

Steve Eberhart
RV-7A, Slider, Lycoming O-360-A1A

Oshkosh

If anyone at Oshkosh has time to check in at the Icom booth and find out when the IC-A210 comm is going to be released, and what they think the street price will be, would be much appreciated. I need to finalize my radio to start cutting the panel. Thanks.

$1495...

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
If anyone at Oshkosh has time to check in at the Icom booth and find out when the IC-A210 comm is going to be released, and what they think the street price will be, would be much appreciated. I need to finalize my radio to start cutting the panel. Thanks.
Steve,
Eastern Avionics just listed it on their web site at $1495...

http://www.avionix.com/comms.html

They do say this is an estimate, and that the radio is not yet FCC approved... perhaps this may be the question to ask at Oshkosh.... "when is FCC approval expected?"

gil in Tucson

Talked to ICOM yesterday...they expect the approval any day now. Obviously they expected to have it by OSH and are very disappointed. No prices yet as it is against the FCC rules to offer the unit before approval.

The unit is very nice and the display is excellent...changing freq's cause the old freq to move over as the new freq moves over (probably not describing this adequately as the freq's move continuously across the display which is very sharp).

The unit will fit it's rack, a 200 rack and an BK KY-97 rack.

Deene.

An avionics dealer told me Icom received FCC approval today, shipments are expected in approximately 2 weeks. Street price? Estimated in the $1300.00 range. Based on what the dealer told me, I ordered one. (plus he said it was $100.00 cheaper at Oshkosh, $1189.00) I hope his information was accurate.

Last edited:
So what would be the difference

It looks to be $200.00 cheaper then the SL40, but what are the differences between the radios feature wise?

Kent

TSO'd ??

I assume the $1300 is for the TSO'd version. Any rumors about whether they will offer it non-TSO'd like they do the A200?

Ordered mine today!

$1189 at Pacific Avionics, expect delivery in 2-3 weeks. That's exactly how (and from whom) I bought my A-200 when it was the first piece of the panel I got for the Val at OSH 2004.

It will slide right in to the A-200 tray, so installation will take me about 30 seconds, and I'll get another frequency to monitor - nice! And the tray that comes with the 210 will fit the 200, so wherever that goes (I think Louise needs a backup comm in her -6....) it will have the install kit!

Ahh...the dangers of going to Oshkosh with a credit card!

Paul

Actually I'm kind of disappointed with the price. Still a good deal compared to the SL-40, but at the Oshkosh show prices, with the $100 rebate Icom is offering on the A200 (but not offered for the A210), you can get two separate A200's for the price of one A210. Oh well. Maybe I'll go that route, or try to get a cheap A200 from someone trading up since my use for it will just be as a standby/backup.

I might trade up

Hey Steve (alpinelake..),
I have a brand new, never even turned on A200, freshly mounted in my yet to fly 4. I have all the original packaging, receipt, etc. I'm thinking about upgrading now, and won't need the A200. The price Paul D. quoted is low enough to attract my attention for the enhanced features. I'm only going to have one installed com radio. I have lots of time to wait for delivery.

How much is it worth to you? I occasionally drive to Yakima on I-90 and might even be able to deliver. Let me know.

Brian Vickers
Bainbridge Island, WA

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
Actually I'm kind of disappointed with the price. Still a good deal compared to the SL-40...
Gotta agree with you. Icom isn't going to sell that many A210s if they price them (almost) the same as the SL40. The SL40 is a proven product with few problems.

TODR (Happy SL40 user)

If anyone else has a good deal on a new A-200, I'm in the market. I too, like the A-210, but with the price being about 2X of the A-200, I would be happy with the older radio. Since I will be using it as #2 comm, I don't really need the extra features.
Contact me at 972-784-7544 or <n168tx(at)flytx.net>

Last edited:
Brian Vickers said:
Hey Steve (alpinelake..),
I have a brand new, never even turned on A200, freshly mounted in my yet to fly 4. I have all the original packaging, receipt, etc. I'm thinking about upgrading now, and won't need the A200. The price Paul D. quoted is low enough to attract my attention for the enhanced features. I'm only going to have one installed com radio. I have lots of time to wait for delivery.

How much is it worth to you? I occasionally drive to Yakima on I-90 and might even be able to deliver. Let me know.

Brian Vickers
Bainbridge Island, WA
Brian-
Sent you a private mail. Steve

Mel said:
If anyone else has a good deal on a new A-200, I'm in the market. I too, like the A-210, but with the price being about 2X of the A-200, I would be happy with the old radio. Since I will be using it as #2 comm, I don't really need the estra features.
Contact me at 972-784-7544 or <n168tx(at)flytx.net>
Mel-I think I remember you saying you've got two A200's stacked in your -6 and don't use an audio panel but simply have a toggle switch that determines which one you are transmitting on. Was that you? If so, that would allow you to monitor the second comm. at the same time, right? How does your audio come in from each to the intercom? Do you have both going in to the same input on the intercom or are they plugged into different inputs?

Just making sure I know what I'm getting into before I buy another comm.

Thanks.

To use two comms without an audio panel it is very easy and cheap.
Buy two mini switches, good quality ones and a 600ohm 1/4 watt resister.
One switch a 3pdt and a the second one a spst, label the 3pdt switch left side and right side.
To the 3pdt switch run a ptt line from each radio. Place the comm1 ptt on the left bottom terminal and the comm2 ptt on the top left terminal.
Run a mic audio line from each radio. Place the comm1 mic audio on the bottom center terminal and the coom2 mic audio on the top center terminal.
Run a audio output line from each radio. Place the audio wire from comm1 on the bottom right terminal and the comm2 audio to the top right terminal.
On the spst switch solder a 600ohm 1/4 watt resister on one terminal. Solder the other end to one of the audio terminals on the 3pdt switch. From the empty terminal on the spst switch solder a wire and then run it to the other audio terminal on the 3pdt switch.
From the center terminals of this switch you connect it to the mic/headset jacks or intercom. The left terminal ptt, center terminal mic audio and the right terminal headset audio.

When the 3pdt switch is in the up position you will transmit and rx on comm1
when in the down position you will rx/tx on comm2.
When the spst is in one position you will only hear comm1 or comm2 when in the other position you will hear (both)the comm selected to rx/tx and the other comm also but a bit quieter.

Hope all this helps you. Having been using this system for 40 years and it always works.

I do indeed have 2 comms without an audio panel. I have a Garmin GNC-250 and an MX-11. I have 1 switch that switches the PTT and "mic audio" signal. Both receivers are in parallel and monitored concurrently through the intercom.

the_other_dougreeves said:
Gotta agree with you. Icom isn't going to sell that many A210s if they price them (almost) the same as the SL40. The SL40 is a proven product with few problems.

TODR (Happy SL40 user)

You raise a valid point however now people have a choice. Also the SL-40 is what a 10+ year old design now? And Garmin is the third owner of the design? Icom builds one heck of a quality unit, so I wouldn't bat an eye worrying about reliability issues. I think it will be interesting what happens to the price of the SL-40 now. Gotta love the free market!

TSO'd?

I just wanted to confirm that A210 is a TSO'd unit? Maybe they will release a non-TSO'd unit for our use at a more reasonable price? Has anybody asked?

Phil, I think this is the non-TSO'ed unit for $1150-ish.

Say ummmmm, how many are interested in a group buy on these little gems?

I have some irons in the fore but am holding off until I and we can have a few extra buckos to spend.

Anyone interested?

:cool: CJ

Count me in for a 210 with mounting tray and connectors. Would like to get delivery in the October or November time frame. Trying to shoot for the latter part of February for the first flight.

Love my seat belts, thanks for that group buy.

Steve Eberhart
RV-7A, installing exhaust and all of the firewall forward systems on my 0 timed O-360-A1A

I thought there might be some interest!

I am willing to bet people with flying RV's would add a Comm 2 or do some swapping as well.

Did anyone see the PS Engineering PS9000 audio panel? I was working on a deal on those while at OSH too.

I am not a fan of those Aveo products, Martin. I am really not sure why, though. In my opinion, they look cheesy and cheap. With them all sharing the same form factor, having more than one of their units in the panel would be confusing not to mention aesthetically unappealing.

What do you like about them?

:) CJ

Aveo

Captain John, I agree with you, I'm really not sure either. But given that here in the UK mode S will be mandatory from April 2008, something like the Aveo Traffic is very appealing. Consider the difference in price when the GTX 330 is the next option and you'll probably understand the appeal. I too would'nt want my panel filling with these units but I could live with the Traffic system for a combined Comm/Transponder :)

PS9000 Yeah!

I'd be interested in that group buy!

Still need to read up on Comms though, so I can say for sure to count me in.

I would be interested in an Icom A210 group buy if I can save $3-400 over the price of the SL40 and get the same features! Tony

The 210 is gonna eat Garmin's lunch!!!

Even without a group buy, you are gonna save about $400 at list price!

WITH a group buy... well, let's expect more!

I will keep you guys posted.

I'm in, Too

CJ,

I'm also in if you can develop a group buy! Thanks Again for the great job you did on the PCU5000X group buy!

Best Regards,

Bill Palmer

Bill, You are welcome!

I am literally working on the deal as we speak!

I will keep you all posted!

Any others who may be interested, please chime in.

It gives me an idea of the interest level and an indication of haw many units could be transacted.

I would say that for each person who contacts me before the sale represents ten who don't!

Lemme know, guys!!!

I may be interested if it's a really good deal. I'm leaning toward the A-200 because I don't really need the extra features, but if the price is right...........

Mel, I am expecting this (once again) to be our opportunity to get the turkey dinner for the cost of the chicken sandwich!

I think that this buy will be a little different because people like you will be looking for upgrades. That will only add to the numbers!

ICOM-A210

Looks good to me. It has an intercom so that's one less thing to buy. Count me in on a group buy.
Bob Whisler

Back