What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 modifications for tall pilot?

edweeks

I wonder if I can get some help from this discussion board. I'm looking at buying a very nice RV-6A. I'm 6'4" and find the fit a little too tight. We've put in a new piano hinge to move the seat back rearward an inch or so. I'm thinking of getting thinner seat and back cushions. We're thinking of adding an inch to the strap linking the rudder pedals to the rudder cable.

Can you offer any other suggestions for improving the fit of an RV-6 for a tall pilot? I like everything about the plane but it is a little too tight for a long cross country.

Thanks for your help.

Just a word of caution in lengthening the rudder cables. Make sure you still have full travel. There's not much room before the master cylinders will hit the firewall. Only other suggestion would be to lower the seat pans like is done on the -7 & -9, but that would be a major job to modify the seat ribs.

I'm 6' 3 1/2" on a good day and have found my newly built RV6A a bit cramped. It took a while to get used to this "feature". Most of my flying is not GA airplanes but military transports, a way different perspective. I felt this the most on cross country flights (1.5 hrs to the Big Island) with a passenger during the first 60 hours or so. I think now I have adapted. BTY, I never noticed this doing touch and gos or flights in the practice area.

My RV has a center throttle quadrant which decreases leg freedom of movement, it would be better like some RVs without a center consol. Also I find the electric flap housing makes using my kneeboard difficult with my right hand. Most of my height is in my legs, but I couldn't see moving seat too far aft as my back wanted a good backrest angle.

I put my rudder pedals pretty far forward, but honestly this probably doesn't matter much as my feet are off the rudder while flying XC. Sometimes I tuck my toes under the pedals at altitude to stretch a little. Not a problem with size 11 sneakers.

My canopy is raised in the rear about 1/2", but again probably inconsequential. Most headroom gained is from correctly sizing the seat cushion. With my headset on and sitting with good posture I gave myself about 1/2 to 1 inch of clearance from the top of the canopy, that way with my normal slouch, I've got more room.

I have the seat foam from Van's with the fancy blue astronaut foam which is very comfortable and without pressure points--important when you can't move around too much to stretch.

Last advice: Don't worry, with age you'll shrink and have more room. :eek:

Hope this helps. Aloha. Greg

Last edited:
Call Van's Aircraft. There is a way to modify the -6 for tall pilots. It is usually modified during the build process. Not sure if it can be done after the fact. Tom Green should know.

Just wondering if there is any way to raise the tip-up canopy up a bit on a 7/9- w/spacer, aftermarket larger bubble, etc?

edweeks said:
I wonder if I can get some help from this discussion board. I'm looking at buying a very nice RV-6A. I'm 6'4" and find the fit a little too tight. We've put in a new piano hinge to move the seat back rearward an inch or so. I'm thinking of getting thinner seat and back cushions. We're thinking of adding an inch to the strap linking the rudder pedals to the rudder cable.

Can you offer any other suggestions for improving the fit of an RV-6 for a tall pilot? I like everything about the plane but it is a little too tight for a long cross country.

Thanks for your help.

Ed,
I assume you've found a "great deal" on a 6A. Have you sat in an 8 or 8A yet? You'll be amazed at the room (I'm 6' 4" 210 pounds). I believe there is a nice 8A for sale here on the list. The "tall pilot" option for the 8 and 8A is a simple replacement of 1 part (bolts on).
Charlie Kuss

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the RV-8 but it's a tandem and my wife much prefers a side-by-side. I'm not sure if its my charming personality or good looks but she says she doesn't want to sit behind me staring at my bald head. If my wife flew with me on only rare occassions I wouldn't weigh this factor so heavily but I'm blessed with wife who enjoys flying and we expect to do a fair amount of cross-country traveling.

(heavy sigh) am I cursed to fly only C-182's? Somebody save me!

Back