What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A N74WL Joe Gepner

JoeGepner

Hi Guys,

I'm just getting started on my RV-7A build (I haven't even unpacked the tail kit yet). Tonight I finished building a couple of the EAA benches and I had a quick question for the experts here.

I have been planning to build the tail and wing kits in an old storage room in my basement. It's nice and climate controlled, and also as far as I can get from my kids room so I can hopefully run the air compressor at night.

The room is roughly 18ft by 14ft. Do you guys think that is big enough to get through the tail and wings? Once it's time to start on the fuselage, I thought I would pack up shop and move to the garage. Am I going to be kicking myself for not starting in the garage?

Workbench2_resize.jpg

I'm no expert but I say build where is it climate controlled. The emp kit is easy to move around, the wings on the other hand are a little more difficult to maneuver. Do you have easy access to the basement (door directly outside etc)?

I bought a portable air conditioner for my garage; I don't think I would work on the project nearly as much if it wasn't climate controlled. Have fun!

Joe, you might think about putting the compressor in the garage and running some air pipe down to your work room. I picked up a kit from Northern Tool that uses 1/2" nylon pipe with push-in fittings, makes plumbing pretty easy.

Building the empennage down there won't be a problem, space-wise. Before you start the wings, though, just be sure you can get a 4' x 10' x 8" object ALL THE WAY outside without bumping into anything. It would really suck to have a rude surprise when it came time to move the wings.

This guy

Joe and I have to share an office. Ever since he bought the tail kit it's been nothing but RV talk all the time! Can you imagine a worse work environment?

mcb :)

Thanks guys! This is exactly what I was hoping you would say.

I have a straight shot up the stairs from my basement, and the door to my basement lines up with the door to my garage. So I think I should be fine. When I finished my basement I was able to get 12 foot long sheets of sheetrock down there without too much trouble.

My basement is one of those "daylight" basements. So I do have two windows that are about 3ft by 5ft. They are kind of old and I've always thought about replacing them some day. Maybe the "wings come out of the basement day" will also be "new basement window day". :)

That basement looks plenty big and climate controlled is ideal. I do think you may want some more lighting though. Nice benches....perhaps when you drill enough holes into them you will replace the top with an overhanging lip. Very convenient for clamping!

I second the advice for overhang on the workbench.

Oh, an I am just 1 hour ahead of you as I have inventoried the tail kit. I have not received my tools yet, so you might catch up..... :).

I built almost the entire airframe in the same size basement of my Bi-level, it was way better than the garage. I built the wing/fuse in the basement, wings were also fully riveted but I dissassembled the fuse for deburring and reassembled and riveted the fuse in the garage.
I left the air compressor and other loud/messy tools in the garage, I made a small hole in the wall to pass the air hose and an extra extension cord into the basement. It worked great keeping the mess and noise in the garage, plus it opens up the outlets in the basement. I did have to plan air tool usage around the wife's TV shows however...

Better lighting is a must have for me. I'll swing by Lowes and pick up some more overhead fluorescent lights so its not so dark. I also like the idea of running some air hose from the garage to the workshop.

I got cheap and didn't want to buy an extra sheet of MDF/Plywood to get an overhang on the two EAA benches. I'm going to build one final workbench out of a solid core door that will have a nice overhang on it though.

I hear you on the wives TV shows! Better to take a break than get in trouble and make too much noise. :D

work surface(s)

I recommend your next work surface be constructed as a work table, not backing up against the wall. I don't think I could have completed my build if all the bench space was against the wall. My big-*ss worktable saw probably 75 to 80% of my activity, regardless if riveting, f'glassing, or assembling. Access to all sides of a workpiece is critical at times. ... IMHO.

I like your space! I would second the idea of more lights (you can never have too much) and other suggestions made here. I would get some inexpensive particleboard for tops to your workbenches, with the overhang for clamping. It makes a perfect, smooth, flat work surface, and it's easy to replace when it's drilled full of holes and worn.

I also think if I were you, I'd consider finishing the sheetrock on the wall where your plastic is hanging, paint it a bright white. It will brighten it up your shop even more. And at the same time, you can make a holder of some kind for your drawings. Something as simple as thumbtacks, or several little spring clips to hold your drawings up in front of you. You'll be spending a lot of time studying your drawings. Put them at eye level, well-lit, and make it easy. Most of the mistakes I made came from not spending enough time looking at the drawing. It's time well spent.

I also like the idea of building your fuselage to the point of disassembly before final riveting. Now the only thing you'll have to figure out is where you're going to prime and paint things. I'm sure you don't want the fumes in there, wafting up into your living space and irritating your other half. :) Not to mention the health hazards. So you'll be doing a lot of up-and-down the stairs with parts in hand, before and after priming. I painted a lot of my stuff outdoors. But overall, it's still worth it! You have a great workplace.

You mention the noise of the compressor but much worse is the dimpling if you are using a C-frame. Drove my neighbor nuts. You will either want to use a DRDT or do the dimpling during normal hours.

Don't skimp on the lighting. I'd go for (and did) the high output flourescent form Lowe's. Initially a bit more expensive but will save having to buy several parts after you misdrill due to poor lighting.

Like the others have said...stay in the basement for as long as possible. I think most agree that you can stay there up until you start final assembly of the fuse skins.

New Lights!

I took everyone's advice and beefed up the lighting in my workshop. It made a huge difference! Thanks to everyone for the good ideas.

Next up, time to build the toolbox.

Lights_new.jpg

Pegboard

I'm still working on my toolbox practice kit and rounding up tools. I thought I'd post a picture of the pegboard I put up over the weekend. Bruce had the idea for hanging sheetrock since its nice and white and would make it easy to read plans hanging on the wall. I figured white pegboard would do the same thing, but also free up some shelf space since I could hang up my tools.

IMG_1288.jpg

wall cover

Joe, I have (2) 4 ft.x 8 ft.x 2 inch thick sheets of foam on one wall. Blue or pink not the white crumbly stuff. We then use 2in. long "T" pins from office supply house to hang parts on. You can hang some pretty heavy parts with multiple pins. It also is a good sound damper and the parts are insight all the time. Ron

We all love a neat and organized shop. I set mine up nice and purty too but have come to realize that even the simplest tasks sometimes will require just about every tool you have on the wall and they will be strewn about the shop in no time! ::D

Have fun!

Vertical Stabilizer

I finished up the practice kit last week and started on the "advanced practice kit" better known as the empennage.

Things are going good so far. Tonight I cleco'd together the vertical stabilizer, its pretty fun to start seeing something that looks like it belongs on an airplane.

IMG_1339.jpg

IMG_1323.jpg

It's great to hit that first milestone

Nice going on the VS. You'll probably be working on your wings before you know it. Might want to check out the lead time now if you are running a 'just in time' factory ;)

Wow! Good eye Lee!

My office mate got me hooked on this local brewery called Free State. Now that Fall is here, I'm really liking their Octoberfest.

I'm too cheap to buy nice glasses because my kids are always finding ways to break them, so pretty much the only ones we have are the free-bees I get from Garmin events and QuikTrip gas station cups...

So there you go, one Garmin glass full of icy cold Octoberfest!

Be Careful

Congratulations on completing your stab. Make sure you put the stab down before you do your woo hoo-ing. Don't ask me how I know.:)

That's great news, keep pounding those rivet's, pretty soon you will have all the parts that make up an airplane.

Thanks

Ray

Wooo Hoooo!!! I share your happiness. I've got that part done on ours, as well as the horizontal stabilizer and most of the rudder. I'm working on the elevator now.

You need to test fly it like I did. It just seemed undepowered for some reason, I couldn't even get this bird into ground effect! :rolleyes:

Tom - RNT, WA

558505_10201138210274019_483802096_n.jpg

Congratulations on the finished VS, Joe! I'll never forget how excited I was to get that part finished. I like your pegboard, too! Keep on poundin' rivets!

Horizontal Stab Complete!

Finished the horizontal stab tonight! Is it too early to start making airplane noises?

IMG_1770.jpg

Never too early! Knock yourself out ... Just wait to see what sounds you make when the proseal comes out ... ;-)

You go, Joe! You look more excited to have finished the horiz. stab than the vertical?can't wait to see the finished fuselage picture for the full maniacal look! :)

I'm just a little ahead of you. I had to take the weekend off just so I don't get burned out, but I'm back at it tonight for my usual 3.5 hours.

Back