What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IAC East Coast Championship results!

RV8Squaz

Well Known Member
Huge congratulations to both Bill McLean and Ben Poffenberger!!!

Both competed in their RV-4's during this past weekend's Mark Fullerton Memorial East Coast Championship. Bill took 1st place out of 9 contestants in Sportsman and Ben took 2nd place out of 6 in Primary. Impressive results gentlemen!!! Please give us a PIREP and post some pictures. I'm sorry I couldn't be there this weekend to support you all.

Hopefully this will be the motivator If you've been thinking about competing in IAC sanctioned events. Please feel free to reach out to me, Bill, Ron Schreck, and Eric Sandifer and we will be happy to guide and assist you. Here is a list of upcoming contests. Pick one and go for it! I plan on being at the June 18th Warrenton VA contest. Hopefully my Extra will be out of the avionics shop by then!

Attachments

• 023A5E95-923E-47F4-82C4-5EA4EDB523CC_1_201_a.jpeg
    023A5E95-923E-47F4-82C4-5EA4EDB523CC_1_201_a.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 223
IAC Competition Aerobatics

Thanks Jerry! I appreciate the shout-out. Good luck in VA!

To those other RV'rs that might read this and wonder what the heck we're talking about with the IAC, reach out if you might think you would be interested in trying your hand at flying some "acro" in your RV and check out the IAC's website. Most of the the RV's - when built to spec - are aerobatic capable airplanes. Even without inverted systems, basic competition aerobatic maneuvers are still possible. I don't have inverted systems in my RV-4, and even as a beginner, I did well at my first two contests flying against pilots in airplanes like Super-D's and Christian Eagles.

It is demanding flying. Acro flying will always provide ways to keep challenging you to get better, even more so than "regular" flying. What you learn will make you a better "stick" in your airplane. And it is a whole lot of fun!

The IAC community is fantastic, but they are a small community compared to what you may be used to with the RV community. It would be nice to see a few more pilots join us in this fantastic aero sport.

Blue Skies!
Ben

Where are all the RVs?

Also thanks Jerry, and wishing you good luck in your next aerobatic contest. Ben is doing well and caught the bug just attending a competition last year and has obviously done well in the two he has flown. A special thanks to Van for designing a fun aircraft that can compete with ANY other design at the Primary and Sportsman levels. At age 81, it should be obvious that age is not a factor except more experienced than the young folks. ;) I don’t have a picture posting service, but many photographs from the Mark Fullerton East Coast Championship can be found on IAC Chapter 3 Facebook website.
Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower AL

Back