What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Dogs in RVs Thread

Post Flight review

Wow. I am amazed how well these worked. Our mini Weiner dog was asleep within 10-15min. He was very comfortable with them and did not try to shake them off. It does require a little effort to keep over ear canals when he moves around.
Product is 4 Paws Aviation. $50 on Amazon. Makes travel with dog easy and calming. At least I think so.

Attachments

• Resized_20220414_095407.jpg
    Resized_20220414_095407.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 424
This Year Sun N Fun Flyin I met two ladies who sell MUTT MUFFS....You can google them. They have all kinds of cool accessories for FLYING DOGS.... They will be at Oshkosh as a vendor. No doubt airshow discounts can be had.

Last edited:
Olive hated flying

I told her she'd better like flying cuz we do a lot of it.

Attachments

• P_20160605_112519_1_BF_p.jpg
    P_20160605_112519_1_BF_p.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 361
My favorite co-pilot

Wife is not that keen on flying in the RV7 but Gretel loves to come along.

Pat
RV7
KHAF

Attachments

• IMG_2546.JPEG
    IMG_2546.JPEG
    894.2 KB · Views: 207
Can you spot 2 dogs?

Finally took my yorkies to fly.
Thanks for a friend to insist in taking them... I was so concerned, but they did great.
Proud dad. :D

Attachments

• JW_JWJR.jpg
    JW_JWJR.jpg
    755.3 KB · Views: 184
Chihuahua and flying

So,
I am so happy to see this thread. I have two kids that happen to be dogs. Small and loving that I would like to take with me on trips. Obviously, I should not have them on my lap when flying but most concerned about noise.

They are small so Its hard to put something over their ears. Most likely I see myself putting them in an enclosure behind me that they can see out of.

Should I be concerned with the noise hurting them?

My thought is to take them on short trips at first. Land and take them for walks then get them used to flying.

I have an RV-7 that will be flying by next summer....

Thanks Kids, any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Karee

I think it's for sure worth getting your dog used to something like mutt muffs if they're going to be flying with you much at all. Their ears are so much more sensitive compared to ours.

Ears

When i was flying to baja ear muffs were not available. My wife would stuff cotton in his ears and then tie a cloth around his head. He loved baja

How do they get in without being lifted

I have a huge Labrador who is probably too big for the rear hold in terms of weight. But the question is how do all your dogs get in? I have a RV-7 and I think he would struggle to get over the sides without breaking something or hurting himself.
Are all your dogs small and light?
Cooper is 42Kg.

Success with ear muffs

Hi I know the picture is not in the RV but thought I would share our success. The “children” travel with us quite a bit but Ruby the young pup was finding the noise an issue. During takeoff she was obviously concerned about the noise. They are Bedlington terriers and the standard ear muffs would not stay on their small heads. I found the ear muff socks and thought we would give them a try. They have been very successful and both dogs are far more relaxed

Attachments

• BDA22B1C-1C94-4448-A70E-69A487F4A252.jpeg
    BDA22B1C-1C94-4448-A70E-69A487F4A252.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
The head sock seemed to work pretty well for our puppy Odin. He was content to leave it on for the 2.5 hour flight we did yesterday.

Attachments

• 715299703.jpg
    715299703.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_4885.jpg
    IMG_4885.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 158
Upperdeck

Is this the Vizsla you and your son picked up about a year ago?
At that time I had never heard of the breed but now its on my short list for my retirement next Spring.
Beautiful pup you've got there.

Arnie

Note: I see this one is named Odin and Whiskey was the little guy you picked up last year. Great looking dogs.

Last edited:
Upperdeck

Is this the Vizsla you and your son picked up about a year ago?
At that time I had never heard of the breed but now its on my short list for my retirement next Spring.
Beautiful pup you've got there.

Arnie

Note: I see this one is named Odin and Whiskey was the little guy you picked up last year. Great looking dogs.

You're spot on. Same breeder, new puppy! They're great dogs!

Finn, likes to fly and sleep in our RV!

Attachments

• IMG_5941.JPG
    IMG_5941.JPG
    1,022.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6589.jpg
    IMG_6589.jpg
    979.1 KB · Views: 30
  • RV Good.jpg
    RV Good.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 32
Back