What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Dogs in RVs Thread

Sadie

My good friend Wade and his dog Sadie. March 2017 somewhere over New Jersey.

First%20dog%20in%20my%20RV%20-%201.jpg

...I'm starting it officially. Sticky.

Fill it up.

Woof,
dr

Yeah baby!!!
Skylar PnP rescue and resident RV builder / supervisor on the way home from KMPJ after a night of other animals sniffing her butt through the tent :). She doesn't mind IFR in the crud, but does open one eye and lick my shoulder if I'm getting sloppy and off by 0.1degree. (The D-O-G that is!)

i-8tcL5zr-M.jpg

i-szjWKkM-L.jpg

Funny story: Sometimes, Tanya uses one of the vertical band saws to chop up bones for the dog from the butcher. Skylar saw it in action ONCE. Now every time I turn on most machines, she comes running and sits under the machine. Her favorite hang out spot in the shop is under the old Bridgeport manual mill. Running or not. I guess it's soothing harmonics must equal dog bones. Hey, it feels similar to me too! Some of the other machines with 18K and 24K RPM spindles, ehhh, not so much :).

Last edited:
Just a couple of weeks ago. A PnP rescue (scared and doesn't even know how to walk on a leash). This is how Tanya transports "unknowns", tied down to a baggage tie with enough lead to lick your ear, and "contained" in a mesh dog crate that they could break out of in an instant.

i-fxTwM3q-L.jpg

This dog was transported all the way across the country, from South Texas to a family in the North East I think. Many of them are coming out of their final day in a shelter.... Pilots are a motivated kind.

Well technically....

They aren't in the RV,. but the one on the left is named Ar-Vee, and he's buddies with Kula.

20200404_165757.jpg

Here is Ar-Vee with his eyes to the sky - or maybe a Squirrel.

RV.jpg

-Marc

Last edited:
We flew a few pups last year. The pandemic kept mom extremely busy at work. This was a good way for me to get to fly while entertaining the kids and making the world a tiny bit better. The kids aren’t always the most engaged passengers...

i-RjfM3QX-L.jpg

i-kbDmLw7-L.jpg

i-sknMNWJ-L.jpg

Dog in a hippo

Since this is a dogs in RVs thread I won’t post a picture of this big fella. He was much too large to get a ride in the RV-7, but he didn’t seem to mind that his ride was in a hippo. I flew him from the Texas panhandle to a rescue in Colorado for Pilots n Paws.
The rescuer saves and finds homes for large breed dogs. Two days later she texted that he had stolen her heart and she would be his forever mom.
Oh, what the heck if Doug doesn’t like it he can just take the post down.

Attachments

• 9C03CFEE-2051-44AF-87EB-A8F1110A8004.jpeg
    9C03CFEE-2051-44AF-87EB-A8F1110A8004.jpeg
    816.5 KB · Views: 780
Last edited:
Can't leave Cats out.........!!!

Not a Dog...but how many people have a Cat as an A&P?:D:D

Attachments

• IMG_7470acS.jpg
    IMG_7470acS.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_7477acS.jpg
    IMG_7477acS.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 658
My frequent copilot, Trina. She always takes off her ear-muffs as soon as I turn off the fasten seat belt light, but at least she's not smoking :)

ACtC-3d-k3K4a99l5ATtKXp4-BpHP8n9raQJkRa9XF_4NkTmEed_7k-uvPe759NKWhoWmrPHSgpYy6q60vK_Y-tzc4pt_rHUSWNuUfodksSOXXo_dwXNVF8393WLclN-IvtlT8111xWlW73n8K55NIYVCzalZw=w884-h1178

Like that dog

My wife and I recently lost our Big Labrador. Wanting a new friend and considering options. What breed of dog is that? Seems totally happy and good size for RV-7

Paul
RV-7 purchased.

Blain: I would bring her to the Saturday flyouts, but I can't be certain that we would be eating outside.

LMPOWELL: She's a mix. We think she looks like a Brittany Spaniel, but others have said Australian Sheppard/Border Collie mix. Only her mother knows for sure. Regarding the RV-7A, she does fit perfectly in the baggage area with room to spare. She's nine years old and weighs 33lbs. Fun fact: She just recently learned to stick her head out of the window of my Miata. Her proud papa had to scramble to take a picture of her wonderous achievement:

Attachments

• trina_rides.jpg
    trina_rides.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 642
Best I can do right now. Dude seemed really interested in climbing into the canoe with me. Unfortunately he passed a few years ago, so that backseat ride will never happen.

fhpER7xl.jpg

Fortunately our other girl is nuts about flying so I'm sure one day we'll have a photo of her serving as my RIO. For now she has to be content with boring spam cans.

6M0qlsKl.jpg

Ziggy goes camping

Took our dog Ziggy camping in the RV. He was a bit apprehensive prior to takeoff.

Once in the air, he put on the Vans Grin just like always...

Attachments

• sept 2012 RV6 Camping 017 - Copy.JPG
    sept 2012 RV6 Camping 017 - Copy.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 754
  • sept 2012 RV6 Camping 019 - Copy.JPG
    sept 2012 RV6 Camping 019 - Copy.JPG
    481.7 KB · Views: 797
From a few years ago - Delta flying with me

My Dog Delta - Full name Delta Oscar Golf

delta 050716a.jpg

delta050716b.jpg

delta050716c.jpg

a true "Flight Dog"

Took our dog Ziggy camping in the RV. He was a bit apprehensive prior to takeoff.

Once in the air, he put on the Vans Grin just like always...

Seems pretty happy in flight.
Perhaps she is apprehensive during preflight in fear she'll be left behind.
Does she point out items during pre-flight?

Daddyman

Please give your dogs hearing protection

I notice most people flying with their dog have provided the dog with hearing protection. But some do not. There is a product called Mutt Muffs that is made for this purpose. Ever take your headset off in an RV at cruise? It is painfully loud. Dogs have hearing that is more sensitive than ours. Please be kind to your dogs and make sure they are equipped with hearing protection. Just like us, they will will suffer discomfort and hearing damage otherwise.

My new puppy Loki

On April 13th I flew from CYPK near Vancouver to McKenzie in northern British Columbia to pick up our new 8 wk old pyrenees-husky puppy. I put the puppy in a crate wrapped in foam and blankets to deaden the noise. He slept most of the 3 hour flight and all went well. Below is a picture of Loki in the RV-6
Loki in GIPY APR 14 2021.jpg
Since the flight I have ordered a set of 4 Paws Aviation ear muffs and hopefully the puppy and I can fly some more. In the meantime in celebration I flew the flightpath shown in a flightaware image below. I planned the flight in foreflight and then transferred it to my Dynon Skyview and just flew the path. Worked out good.
Flightaware Puppy May 2 2021.jpg

On April 13th I flew from CYPK near Vancouver to McKenzie in northern British Columbia to pick up our new 8 wk old pyrenees-husky puppy. I put the puppy in a crate wrapped in foam and blankets to deaden the noise. He slept most of the 3 hour flight and all went well. Below is a picture of Loki in the RV-6

Last edited:
Watched the whole youtube interview of "Shoes" given in previous link. It's quite long but lots of great stories and fun to watch. He's picked up several puppies by airplane but the one in the milk crate in the F14 is the best story.

Sammy pic

Great pic of Sammy, he looks so happy! The NEXT RV-8? What’s in your workshop now? Never heard of an RV-8 guy building another RV-8? What’s the lowdown Scott?

I just want to say I absolutely love this thread. So cute!
On occasion I meet dogs at our airfield and I'm always jealous.
Our 2 dogs (both rescues who suffered trauma early in life) would be total hazards in flight. :eek:

Our “Peanut” always flies with us. He has logged over 350 hours in the past 2 years. He has a Instagram page #aviatorpeanut also on Facebook at #aviatorpeanut.

Peanut 5.jpg

Zeus

Our standard Poodle Zeus is a great flying buddy! My wife and I take him every week for our commute between San Antonio and Fort Worth in our -10. He’s just fine with his Mutt Muffs, and snoozes the whole way…
2C702BFE-1BE6-4F64-956C-D69582A38D1E.jpeg

2 copilots

My son Michael who recently acquired his private ticket and my 1 year old Bernidoodle. Both RV-10 rated.

Attachments

• image_123927839.jpg
    image_123927839.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 449
Lucy in the Sky...

This is our Lewellyn Setter Lucy in my RV6X last summer.
Just not enough room realistically and comfortably in the baggage compartment for her, our gear, her stuff and anything else on long trips. One of several reasons I chose to sell it and purchase a Maule M5, a throwback to my youth and an amazing platform in it's own rite.

However, the RV15 possibilities loom...:)
V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
One of the best

Smokey
I may have told you before but this is by far one of the best pictures I have ever seen.

The bond between a dog and his master is undeniable.

Thanks for posting!!

Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT
KFRH

Last edited:
Large dog in RV-6

I have been flying with my Pyreees-Husky puppy since it was 8 weeks old. It is now 10 months old and 80 lbs. Took the passenger seat out of the RV-6 and built a corrugated plastic box to put him in and keep him clear of the panel. So far it still works but a bit of a tight fit.

Attachments

• 2021-07-17 Loki the happy pilot.jpg
    2021-07-17 Loki the happy pilot.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 455
Dog in the doghouse!

Cleco, our 3.5 year old rescue dog is the “dog in the doghouse.” She’s a good sport!:)

Attachments

• 06F34EDF-3933-471E-9E89-8F04D565B076.jpg
    06F34EDF-3933-471E-9E89-8F04D565B076.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 382
Weiner Takes Flight!

He was a little freaked out. Anybody have good suggestions for Mini Dachshund hearing protection?

Attachments

• 20220324_104910.jpg
    20220324_104910.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 335
A woman was pitching an active noise cancelling headpiece for dogs on Shark Tank last night. Her angle was to protect your dogs ears from loud booms during fireworks etc rather than airplane sounds. Maybe she would of done better with a dogs in airplanes pitch. Google “Pawnix” if interested.

I have a couple of small dog the will go flying in my RV soon.
Do they need ear protection or is this optional ?

Max

It's hard to say. But after taking off my Bose A20 in-flight in my RrV8 at 200mph....it's pretty loud. Dogs with their sensitive hearing? Can't be good .Now every dogs head, size, ear location might be different. But the key is getting a good seal around ear area. Tried the PawNix active noise system my mini weener dog. Just didn't work on his small head, could stay in position.Not cheap either $180.
Mutt muffs didn't seem to help either. Gaps in the ear cups and area around straps lets noise right through. But some people, mostly large dogs, seems to be nore effective.
Just found one that fits his head perfect. It's called 4Paws for dogs hearing pro. Small size fits his head and most importantly seals around his ears. Tested it at home recently. Seems to be very effective. He ignores us when we call him for dinner so I guess it's working. Will see in airplane next week.
Cheers

Back