What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Importing EAB from Canada

tcone1

Well Known Member
Hello,

I'm trying to get a handle on the steps needed to import an experimental aircraft from Canada.

Anybody willing to summarize the process for me?

Thanks,

I've done quite a few of these.
The important thing to consider is that the aircraft must meet ALL the same parameters as a US built EAB. i.e. You must be able to show proof that the aircraft is 51% amateur-built with an eligibility statement 8130-12, builders log, etc.

I've done quite a few of these.
The important thing to consider is that the aircraft must meet ALL the same parameters as a US built EAB. i.e. You must be able to show proof that the aircraft is 51% amateur-built with an eligibility statement 8130-12, builders log, etc.

Mel, what if it's a 1953 CESSNA 305A (L-19 warbird). Would it come in as Experimental Exhibition or Standard?

Mel, what if it's a 1953 CESSNA 305A (L-19 warbird). Would it come in as Experimental Exhibition or Standard?

Caution. If it was an certified aircraft that was converted into the Canadian 'Owner Maintenance' category, it may not be a candidate for importation as the FAA does not recognize this category of CofA.
Also if it was a rebuild under old (old certified parts rebuilt & encorporated into homebuilt projects - rules that have long since changed) 'Amateur Built' category rules, you might still have a tough time getting the FAA to accept it.

Last edited:
Back