What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

spinner install

SgtZim

Well Known Member
I don't see a lot of recent discussion on drilling the spinner, and since the instruction sheet describes the spinner as translucent, I should sand off the dark gelcoat so I can see the spinner plates to drill into?

Or is there some neat trick to accurately finding the plates through the opaque coating on the newer spinners?

Not sure about a spinner, but Van's is supplying magnetic balls to use to locate holes in the opaque wheel pants and landing gear fairings.

Not sure about a spinner, but Van's is supplying magnetic balls to use to locate holes in the opaque wheel pants and landing gear fairings.

So THATS what they're for! Just did inventory on my finish kit and was wondering about that. Pretty cool idea. One thing I do love about building is learning tricks like that.

You could do the "screwless" spinner...I did and *love* the way it looks.

Search the forums for instructions (I think they came from Dan H.?).

Van's revised instructions has a detailed description of how to use the magnets on the wheel fairings: http://vansaircraft.com/pdf/revisions/RV-ALL_05.pdf page 5-18

Wow! I had never seen this Vans "General Instructions" manual before! The plans and 'structions on my Nine came with no such handy-manual. I'd have killed for something like this during my build! What a wonderful reference to add to the hangar collection ..... :):)

Back